The Student Room Group

Sociology ocr a level

Does anybody know how I can write properly that will allow me to get an A* in my sociology essays any tips and strategies?
P - Point
E - Explain
E - Evaluate
L - Link

The 'PEEL' method Is something I always used to use during my A level studies in both exams and essays. I'd write down 4-5 main POINTS that i wanted to discuss/argue (of course this will depend on essay length), EXPLAIN the points,

EVALUATE < this is where you're going to pick up marks and get those top grades. If you can effectively explain your point but show you recognise and understand conflicting arguments then this is going to reflect analytical, critical thought which is extremely important. (bonus if you can critique theories/studies and analysis their strengths/weaknesses/limitations) But you need to not only show you are aware of conflicting arguments but that you can then use your rationale to justify the overall line of argument that would've been highlighted in an introduction.

LINK - After every point you need to make sure you link it back to the exam title/question and answer it, even if its a couple of precise sentences.

And of course use references throughout... books, journals, the lot!

I have a sociology degree and social research masters and this has always worked for me... hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by LaurenEve1995
P - Point
E - Explain
E - Evaluate
L - Link

The 'PEEL' method Is something I always used to use during my A level studies in both exams and essays. I'd write down 4-5 main POINTS that i wanted to discuss/argue (of course this will depend on essay length), EXPLAIN the points,

EVALUATE < this is where you're going to pick up marks and get those top grades. If you can effectively explain your point but show you recognise and understand conflicting arguments then this is going to reflect analytical, critical thought which is extremely important. (bonus if you can critique theories/studies and analysis their strengths/weaknesses/limitations) But you need to not only show you are aware of conflicting arguments but that you can then use your rationale to justify the overall line of argument that would've been highlighted in an introduction.

LINK - After every point you need to make sure you link it back to the exam title/question and answer it, even if its a couple of precise sentences.

And of course use references throughout... books, journals, the lot!

I have a sociology degree and social research masters and this has always worked for me... hope this helps!

Thank you so so much

Quick Reply

Latest