We're recruiting for new Personal Statement Reviewers!

Watch
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello everyone,

I'm happy to announce that we are now recruiting for PS Reviewers!

The PS Help team are a group of people who use their time and knowledge to help others to improve their personal statements. As our service expands, we’re looking for new trainees. Here’s some more information about the role and how to apply:

What's in it for me?
PS Help is arguably one of the most rewarding areas of TSR to be involved in (although we are a little biased!).

You get the opportunity to help students to access the next stage of their education and often, their dream career. Many of the students we help have schools have limited UCAS application expertise, or have families who are unsupportive or unable to help. In particular, we get lots of students who come from schools or backgrounds where going to university is not the norm. The help you give a student can very literally be the difference between them being able to access university or leaving school with no further qualifications. We have the opportunity to make a huge difference in terms of social mobility.

What are the requirements?
All we ask is that you are a current (or past) university student, or have been accepted onto a university course. You will need to provide proof of this - we’ll let you know how to do that once you’ve been added to the team. People with relevant professional experience (teachers, lecturers, admissions tutors etc.) will also be considered on an individual basis. In fact, many of our reviewers have once been helped by the PS Help service.

In terms of character, we’re looking for people who have a passion for helping others and who want to make a difference to students on an individual basis. We’ll be looking for helpful and constructive posting on the forum to demonstrate this.

It's also absolutely vital that you are fluent in English and are comfortable with correct use of grammar and punctuation.

You don't need to have written an excellent PS, or be any type of subject expert. None of us are! Reviewing skills are very different to writing ones so please don't feel that this is necessary.

What does the role involve?
There is no commitment in terms of the number of reviews you complete, although you will be expected to keep in touch with the team and to contribute.

You will be notified once a statement in your area of expertise is approved for review. All statements are pre-screened by the PS Help Leaders to ensure that they are of reasonable quality and meet our requirements. If you’re able to review the statement, you’ll let the applicant know and then complete their review within 24-48 hours ideally. You’ll provide feedback throughout their statement with suggestions for improvement - this might include suggestions on grammar, structure or content as appropriate. You’ll let the applicant know what they’ve done well and suggest potential changes. We encourage applicants to only make changes they personally feel comfortable with - after all the statement should remain personal.

You will also have the opportunity to work with more experienced members of the team to create resources and guides to assist applicants when writing their PS. Once you become a more senior member of the team, you’ll have the opportunity to mentor new PS Help trainees.

How will I be trained?
You will be assigned a mentor who will guide you through the training process. This will involve agreeing to a code of conduct, and the review of 3-4 statements with comprehensive feedback to ensure you are comfortable in the role and we are happy with the quality of your reviews. Initially, these will be taken from the PS Wiki (our library of old statements) and once you're getting the hang of things, we'll move you on to live statements.

You will be able to access support from your mentor and the wider team of experienced reviewers at any time in your role, and we are currently looking at how we can encourage further development beyond that.

How do I apply?
Please send a PM to myself or Interrobang answering the following questions:

1. Why do you want to be a part of the PS Help team?

2. What relevant skills and/or experience can you bring to the role? Please also consider this question in relation to your specific subject area.

Please keep your answers to one page of A4 (shorter is absolutely fine as long as you can get your point across). We will get back to you once your application is reviewed to let you know whether you have been successful at this stage.

If you have any further questions prior to applying please do feel free to tag either myself (Charlotte’s Web) or Interrobang here.
jamesandersonicb
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for taking this step.By this all can learn more.
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Applications are still open! Let us know if you're interested!
username2998742
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Good luck to everyone who applies :penguin:
QuentinM
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Out of interest are applications still open?
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by QuentinM)
Out of interest are applications still open?
Most definitely
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (41)
13.67%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (44)
14.67%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (105)
35%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (29)
9.67%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (65)
21.67%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
5.33%

Watched Threads