The Student Room Group

Should I pay for a TSA Practice Book?

So I'm applying to PPE at Oxford from Canada as part of the 2019-2020 cycle and will be taking the TSA in October.

I've done a couple of past papers (2018-2011 so far) and the highest I've gotten is a 30/50 (60). I know in order to get an interview I need to aim for a minimum of a mid 60, but I'm worried that I'm going to run out of past papers soon with the rate I'm going at.

No one around me is applying to the UK and I don't know much about buying practice books for the TSA, but I want to buy one since I need answer explanations to supplement the questions.

This is the one I'm thinking of buying since it has over 1000 practice questions and seems to have a couple of good reviews online but it's almost $50.

https://www.amazon.ca/Ultimate-TSA-Collection-Assessment-UniAdmissions/dp/1912557266/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=tsa+practice&qid=1566924644&s=gateway&sr=8-10

I understand that it's good value and it's one of the only books that ship in Canada soon enough to have time to use before the actual TSA.

Do practice books really help though? If my score isn't improving through past papers will it improve through a practice book? Has anyone used this before or have any other books to recommend?
If you can afford it, there's nothing that bad that can come from doing even more practice questions. If you think you have more time to do these sets (after finishing all the past papers) then I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to buy it (if there are enough good reviews). You can ask around people studying PPE at Oxford on TSR if they tried out any practice books but I imagine that wouldn't be in time for the book to ship and for you to actually do the questions.

(I'm sorry I can't help because I'm not applying to PPE, nor have I tried out the practice book. But if you're worried, I might get the practice book as extra insurance.)

P.S. Canadian student applying to Oxford this October
Reply 2
I wouldn’t recommend practice books. TSA questions are very nuanced and very difficult to replicate from the test books I’ve seen. I’d recommend repeating tests over- I did them all twice and got 78ish. Cut out ones you get wrong and keep attempting. If theres a trend, iron out your mistakes.
I can send you mine if you’ll pay the postage :smile:
Original post by Minigirl17
I can send you mine if you’ll pay the postage :smile:

If you’re still doing this I’d be happy to give postage !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending