Sarahtherae
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hello,

I would like some advice regarding evidence for compelling personal reasons evidence for a Postgraduate Loan. Does the evidence *have* to be from a medical professional or will an ISVA (independent sexual violence advisor) be sufficient?

I began a part-time masters in 2016 at Bristol University and was granted a postgraduate loan for this. However, after 1 term I suspended my studies as I was unfortunately the victim of domestic and sexual violence and consequently experienced PTSD. I left Bristol to move back home with my parents and filed a police report. Come October 2017 when it was time for me to tell Bristol Uni whether or not I was returning I felt I couldn’t return to the city at all as the perpetrator lived there so I withdrew completely from my course.

I am now applying for a new masters course that is distance learning from a different university in a different subject.

I have submitted my application for funding with a letter explaining my CPR and a signed letter from my university. However, this wasn’t enough evidence.

My ISVA (independent sexual violence advisor who supports me through the investigation) has written a letter for me to explain the case and the situation that led me to not return. Would this be sufficient evidence or would I also require a letter from my GP?

I have asked my GP but they have told me it could take 5 weeks but I fear this will be too late as my course will have already started - if I am not eligible for funding I won’t be able to do the course so I would like to know this before I pay the acceptance fee (I have been given an unconditional offer).

Some more information:
• my new course is eligible for postgrad funding from SFE
• I withdrew from my course after just 1 term of a 2 year part time course
SFE Chanel
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Sarahtherae)
Hello,

I would like some advice regarding evidence for compelling personal reasons evidence for a Postgraduate Loan. Does the evidence *have* to be from a medical professional or will an ISVA (independent sexual violence advisor) be sufficient?

I began a part-time masters in 2016 at Bristol University and was granted a postgraduate loan for this. However, after 1 term I suspended my studies as I was unfortunately the victim of domestic and sexual violence and consequently experienced PTSD. I left Bristol to move back home with my parents and filed a police report. Come October 2017 when it was time for me to tell Bristol Uni whether or not I was returning I felt I couldn’t return to the city at all as the perpetrator lived there so I withdrew completely from my course.

I am now applying for a new masters course that is distance learning from a different university in a different subject.

I have submitted my application for funding with a letter explaining my CPR and a signed letter from my university. However, this wasn’t enough evidence.

My ISVA (independent sexual violence advisor who supports me through the investigation) has written a letter for me to explain the case and the situation that led me to not return. Would this be sufficient evidence or would I also require a letter from my GP?

I have asked my GP but they have told me it could take 5 weeks but I fear this will be too late as my course will have already started - if I am not eligible for funding I won’t be able to do the course so I would like to know this before I pay the acceptance fee (I have been given an unconditional offer).

Some more information:
• my new course is eligible for postgrad funding from SFE
• I withdrew from my course after just 1 term of a 2 year part time course
Hi,

The letter from your ISVA should be sufficient as long as it's on headed paper, signed and dated by them and it must confirm your circumstances and how your studies were affected. If you have a copy of the police report this can be sent to, if not don't worry about that.

We wish you well.

Thanks, Chanel
Sarahtherae
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by SFE Chanel)
Hi,

The letter from your ISVA should be sufficient as long as it's on headed paper, signed and dated by them and it must confirm your circumstances and how your studies were affected. If you have a copy of the police report this can be sent to, if not don't worry about that.

We wish you well.

Thanks, Chanel
Hello Chanel,

Thank you for the quick reply!

How much detail should my ISVA go into on how my studies were affected? She only met me after I had left my studies so she didn't know me during, she can say what I have told her and speak about the effects of trauma in general. Does it matter that she didn't know me at the time? This is the same for my GP, my GP can only write what is in my notes. Does it matter that they didn't know me at the time?

Best Wishes,
Sarah
SFE Chanel
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Sarahtherae)
Hello Chanel,

Thank you for the quick reply!

How much detail should my ISVA go into on how my studies were affected? She only met me after I had left my studies so she didn't know me during, she can say what I have told her and speak about the effects of trauma in general. Does it matter that she didn't know me at the time? This is the same for my GP, my GP can only write what is in my notes. Does it matter that they didn't know me at the time?

Best Wishes,
Sarah
They just need to confirm how they were affected by your circumstances i.e could no longer attend due to PTSD etc.

This should be accepted whether they knew you at that very time or not.

Thanks, Chanel
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (98)
50%
No (98)
50%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise