The Student Room Group

A Level Options Help!

Ok, so I'm about to start year 12 and I want to go to university for something science related. Biology/Chemistry. Currently, my A Level options are: Biology, Chemistry, History. I also want to go to a top university, and have even thought about Oxford.

My current A Levels (Biology, Chemistry, History) fulfill most of the entry requirements for lots of the unis and courses I've looked at. There are a few, like Cambridge, which require maths (although Cambridge doesn't require maths, it would certainly help in the natural sciences programme). My question is: would I be better off doing Maths instead of History? Or would doing both be possible? Would Maths really help me in securing a course at a university?

Even though I currently fulfill the entry requirements, I still feel like someone who has 3 sciences would stand a better chance. Is this true?

Also, I find maths much more difficult than History and I know I'll have to work hard for it. Would it be worth the work?

Sorry I kind of overloaded this with about 50 different questions. Any advice would be appreciated :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by kannmnn
Ok, so I'm about to start year 12 and I want to go to university for something science related. Biology/Chemistry. Currently, my A Level options are: Biology, Chemistry, History. I also want to go to a top university, and have even thought about Oxford.

My current A Levels (Biology, Chemistry, History) fulfill most of the entry requirements for lots of the unis and courses I've looked at. There are a few, like Cambridge, which require maths (although Cambridge doesn't require maths, it would certainly help in the natural sciences programme). My question is: would I be better off doing Maths instead of History? Or would doing both be possible? Would Maths really help me in securing a course at a university?

Even though I currently fulfill the entry requirements, I still feel like someone who has 3 sciences would stand a better chance. Is this true?

Also, I find maths much more difficult than History and I know I'll have to work hard for it. Would it be worth the work?

Sorry I kind of overloaded this with about 50 different questions. Any advice would be appreciated :smile:

No one take offense but math as an A level is a lot more useful than history. It opens u up to A LOT more career options
Reply 2
Original post by Jaguar1200
No one take offense but math as an A level is a lot more useful than history. It opens u up to A LOT more career options

Do employers look at your A Levels? I always thought that your A Levels were irrelevant if you have a degree, since that's what (I think) you use to apply for jobs.- not all jobs obviously but ones related to the field you want to go into.
Original post by kannmnn
Do employers look at your A Levels? I always thought that your A Levels were irrelevant if you have a degree, since that's what (I think) you use to apply for jobs.- not all jobs obviously but ones related to the field you want to go into.

not jobs. university requirements
Reply 4
not jobs. university requirements

Oh well I've checked a few universities, and the current A Levels I'm thinking of doing meet the entry requirements of courses I think I'd like to do. Would doing maths help even though I already meet the requirements?
Reply 5
It would be useful and it could also help with chemistry but it's going to be alot of work. I wouldn't choose it unless you're sure you're going to be able to keep up with the workload.
Maths fits in quite well with your other subjects. History looks a bit random with the other tbh. But maths is really hard so make sure you do some research
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by kannmnn
Oh well I've checked a few universities, and the current A Levels I'm thinking of doing meet the entry requirements of courses I think I'd like to do. Would doing maths help even though I already meet the requirements?

ok if they don't require you're good. but all science programmes are math intensive and a level math will help
Reply 8
Original post by kannmnn

Having done maths last year i would seriously reccomend against it if you find it difficult or do not enjoy it as the 2 years of studying it will tire you out.
Id reccomend doing history as it is easier and a well respected subject furthermore for a biological science course maths is not needed. and they only usually ask for biology or chemistry and any thrid subject.
Original post by Asd901
Having done maths last year i would seriously reccomend against it if you find it difficult or do not enjoy it as the 2 years of studying it will tire you out.
Id reccomend doing history as it is easier and a well respected subject furthermore for a biological science course maths is not needed. and they only usually ask for biology or chemistry and any thrid subject.

As much as math is TOUGH, you have a very strong grounding so it will be MUCH easier in university. idk about medicine or the like but even biology has LOADS of statistics. OP take care to scout out the content of you target programme before rashly deciding on history over math or vice versa
Reply 10
As much as math is TOUGH, you have a very strong grounding so it will be MUCH easier in university. idk about medicine or the like but even biology has LOADS of statistics. OP take care to scout out the content of you target programme before rashly deciding on history over math or vice versa

I am studying medicine and believe me many people i know got into medicine with just biology and chemistry and a easier A-level than maths.
I would only reccomend doing Maths if you are confident enough that you will be able to achieve an A or A* that cambridge require.
As maths was my most problematic and time consuming A level subject
Original post by Asd901
I am studying medicine and believe me many people i know got into medicine with just biology and chemistry and a easier A-level than maths.
I would only reccomend doing Maths if you are confident enough that you will be able to achieve an A or A* that cambridge require.

gotcha. Idk jack sht about med so I'd placed a disclaimer in my ans 😁
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
gotcha. Idk jack sht about med so I'd placed a disclaimer in my ans 😁

Honestly if i had a chance to go back i would've never studied maths, just so many easier option out there
Original post by Asd901
Honestly if i had a chance to go back i would've never studied maths, just so many easier option out there

to each their own. math and chemistry are by far the easiest subjects that exist for me. but I got 2% in fine art at year 9. So imma a weird whacko and Im owning it😎
Reply 14
Original post by Asd901

Yeah that's partly why I'm hesitant to take maths. I feel much more confident that I could get an A-A* in history, and seeing that maths isn't completely necessary I think I'll be fine with what I'm currently doing. Thanks for the advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest