The Student Room Group

Does a good physique help to get female attention?

Hi so I have been on placement for 1 year away from Uni and I have hit the gym on that year and manage to obtain and fairly good physique. I know this is extremely narrow minded but I generally need all the help I can get as I am below average face wise; will this help with female attention and if so do you think it will be a dramatically or very minor?

I know some girls will say personality matters, of course it does but from a purely visual perspective will it help me, because I find having a good body definitely helps women?
I mean yeah it does help slightly but I’ve never met anyone who values body over face. Sorry.
I think face is more important. But everything from fashion sense, hair cut, style and personality can also be seen as more important than physique for a lot of girls.
It does help to get a couple looks or to grab attention but the rest of the job is down to personality and the face.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Hi so I have been on placement for 1 year away from Uni and I have hit the gym on that year and manage to obtain and fairly good physique. I know this is extremely narrow minded but I generally need all the help I can get as I am below average face wise; will this help with female attention and if so do you think it will be a dramatically or very minor?

I know some girls will say personality matters, of course it does but from a purely visual perspective will it help me, because I find having a good body definitely helps women?

Having a nice physique can help a female be a bit more confident. It can get you attention but it is mostly the confidence behind it. It can make people think you like to take care of youself or you're eating good. But personality is also important. But people notice appearance first so, if your personality is even good, it's a jackpot lol
superficial appearance is important to a certain kind of lady ?

:redface:
Eh, maybe for some women?

Personally it wouldn't make any difference to me. The only body type I actively avoid is rake thin - I just don't find it attractive in men.
Reply 7

Ah thanks guys, was hoping a better physique helps but I haven’t been blessed with the most pleasant face. But I guess I got to make it up with personality then :smile:
Every girl has different standards so it's impossible to generalize.
Being fit and healthy will sure help you- I for example am quite sporty and would prefer someone who is active over someone who isn't, but it depends on their personality. I think sometimes lads worry too much about how they look and don't think about how they are- an interesting person with a great sense of humor and appealing personality traits is far more likely to end up in a sustainable relationship.
Bottom line is, work out all you want but do it for YOU, not because you think some girl might notice you.

About feeling that your face isn't as amazing as other peoples- may I ask why that is? may be able to give you some advice :smile:
Reply 9
Every girl has different standards so it's impossible to generalize.
Being fit and healthy will sure help you- I for example am quite sporty and would prefer someone who is active over someone who isn't, but it depends on their personality. I think sometimes lads worry too much about how they look and don't think about how they are- an interesting person with a great sense of humor and appealing personality traits is far more likely to end up in a sustainable relationship.
Bottom line is, work out all you want but do it for YOU, not because you think some girl might notice you.

About feeling that your face isn't as amazing as other peoples- may I ask why that is? may be able to give you some advice :smile:

I had always thought i’m ugly as I have never had females approach me first or show me any attention first it’s always the other way around. So I went on reddit AmIUgly and the first 2 comments said yes 4/10 and 2/10 “ugly”. So from there I have come to that conclusion.
I had always thought i’m ugly as I have never had females approach me first or show me any attention first it’s always the other way around. So I went on reddit AmIUgly and the first 2 comments said yes 4/10 and 2/10 “ugly”. So from there I have come to that conclusion.

So sorry to hear that, some people can be so horrible!!
I have some suggestions which may help:
-Hairstyle and dress sense, as someone else mentioned, can actually bring out positive features of your face that otherwise may not be seen so well.
-If you have any skin issues, see your GP!! I had pretty severe acne for years and never did anything about it because I thought it was normal. It decimated my self confidence and I also thought I was ugly AF.
I ended up getting medication and I feel better than ever because of it- another thing is that when I talked to people about it, they said they barely noticed I had such issues with my skin because I didn't talk about it and they were more focused on me as a person than my appearance.
-Do not listen to what people online say (the irony I know). When I say this I mean the example you use- Rate Me out of 10.
People are sometimes unnecessarily savage and hurtful when they're anonymous and will sometimes insult others to soothe their egos, so please do not listen to it.

I think the best thing for you is to try and mix with new groups of people- you will hopefully find people who aren't egotistical bar stewards and will instead see you the way you are and accept it.
Reply 11

That could be based on their own beauty standard. What I am attracted to might not be the same others are attracted to.

Photos never always do justice to a person. Sometimes that can enhance someones looks but other times it can actually make them look worse than they do in person.
apparently broad shoulders
So sorry to hear that, some people can be so horrible!!
I have some suggestions which may help:
-Hairstyle and dress sense, as someone else mentioned, can actually bring out positive features of your face that otherwise may not be seen so well.
-If you have any skin issues, see your GP!! I had pretty severe acne for years and never did anything about it because I thought it was normal. It decimated my self confidence and I also thought I was ugly AF.
I ended up getting medication and I feel better than ever because of it- another thing is that when I talked to people about it, they said they barely noticed I had such issues with my skin because I didn't talk about it and they were more focused on me as a person than my appearance.
-Do not listen to what people online say (the irony I know). When I say this I mean the example you use- Rate Me out of 10.
People are sometimes unnecessarily savage and hurtful when they're anonymous and will sometimes insult others to soothe their egos, so please do not listen to it.

I think the best thing for you is to try and mix with new groups of people- you will hopefully find people who aren't egotistical bar stewards and will instead see you the way you are and accept it.

Thank you, I had recently changed my hairstyle to a fairly common one which guys have a skin fade and I believe I do dress well. But I do have some spot scares on my cheeks which I have been trying to get rid of with various products off Amazons but nothing had worked. But I didn’t know you can see a doctor over those sort of things.

Thank you for the advise, I will take it on board
Thank you, I had recently changed my hairstyle to a fairly common one which guys have a skin fade and I believe I do dress well. But I do have some spot scares on my cheeks which I have been trying to get rid of with various products off Amazons but nothing had worked. But I didn’t know you can see a doctor over those sort of things.

Thank you for the advise, I will take it on board

You definitely can see a Dr about skin troubles :smile: some of the treatment options are expensive (e.g. laser therapy) so it depends on how bad it is for you. To actually get rid of acne you can take medication that can be prescribed on the NHS tho which is good

From a guys perspective (having been going about a year to the gym) I’d say it’s definitely improved my luck in that department.

I think it makes girls who would have found you attractive stare for a lot longer (which makes signs easier to spot) as well being able to attract a few more girls here or there.

I must add to this that it has made me a bit more confident which helps and I’m attracting a few more girls, by no means models 😂
Reply 17

Yes and No

It really depends on the guy. Pretty much every guy will be better off if he gets in shape .....but females are pretty picky. If you have an ugly face, you might go up from a 4 to a 5.5 or something if you get the perfect body. does a 5.5 male recieve a lot of attention from women?

sometimes on the rare occasion though i've seen facially unattractive men go from like a 4 to an 8 upon putting on some muscle and getting low bodyfat.

Personally I did notice in an increase in attention after putting on a bit of muscle. but it definately wasn't from all girls, just a minority.

more recently i lost some of my gains and went down from 15-16% bf 24BMI to about 13-14% bf 23BMI .....and look like i barely lift [with clothes]. but seem to get a lot more looks from women than when i had more muscle. but less catcalls [which is odd]

although two days ago some older woman started hitting on me in the street out of knowhere. At first i actually thought she was high .. the way she was going about it.........

I mean, yeah being attracted to someone matters but sometimes it doesn't. Cause you could have a bangin' body but because your personality is ****, it makes you less attractive. So, yeah, work on your body for you, not for anyone else but bear in mind, your personality does 100% matter.
Having a good physique will get you attention from girls but personality is what will sustain your relationship. As mentioned already, girls are picky AF and want a guy to be perfect in all departments. So you should use this as motivation to work on your body equally as much as your mind and life pursuits. Have a good career, independence, stable income, a place of your own and some money put aside for savings and luxury. Work towards all these things and you will see your desirability with girls massively increase. These are the kinds of things they become interested in about a potential partner once they get past the phase of chasing ****boys (if they ever do). Having a good body is more likely to get you attention from girls who also have a great body because they want someone with a similar level of attractiveness.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending