harik2014
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hello,

I am going into Year 12 this year (just finished my GCSEs) and am starting A Levels. I've never done Business at GCSE before, so I was wondering if anyone had any good advice or tips for AS Business? I'm following the AQA specification.
RRosee
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I am also starting year 12 and taking business but I did do it at GCSE. I was following the AQA specification in year 11 as well. The way I got through it at GCSE was basically common knowledge. Especially when they were talking about Customer Service , just imagine you being the customer and then you being the employee. At GCSE there was 4 units and they weren't particularly hard - it was just a lot of things to remember as sometimes things can go hand in hand. I would look at GCSE past papers , look at the key topics and go and research some of them before you start the new term. Once you got the basics of each topics - you should be fine and catch up quickly : )

I hope this helped x
Nescrosity
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
In the last mock exam, I achieved A grade in Business Studies, where I would advise the following things:
-> Either everyday or every week look into real-life examples of businesses through websites like BBC news and periodicals like 'The economist'. This would help you with application marks within questions. For example, in June 2019, Sports Direct made a takeover offer for Game Digital. The acquisition by Sports Direct can be subjected to be reviewed by UK competition authorities to assess its impact to reduce competition in the market. This will be around unit 7 and higher. You could include in your answer, different situations to help support your argument. For example, in the present world, younger people tend to be attracted towards money to for today's trends.
-> Learn the models. If an exam question is talking about analyse the benefits of motivation, you can include different types of models to strengthen your answer. By including the relevant models and implement them in the paragraph when need to, might score you more marks in terms of understanding motivation as a whole. From practice papers from what I have seen and took, there are a few questions that you can definitely include models.
-> Keep going with the chains of analysis. Instead of stopping at damaging profits to the organisation, you might go on to say, a decrease in financial performance can lead to lower dividends for owners (shareholders), and might lead to the firm not hitting their profit objectives.
-> What has really helped me in Business and this should be the same in other A-level subjects that you take, is to form study groups with your classmates and friends that take the subjects. You can learn a lot of information from classmates which you might not have realised when studying. I have gone to my Business teachers over numerous times for exam style questions, for us in the study group to write plans and answers for them. We would then take this back to the teacher to be marked.
-> Business can be self taught with what I have been doing over the summer. Two books: AQA A Level Business 2 Third Edition Wolinski & Coates and AQA A Level Business 1 Third Edition Wolinski & Coates has helped me to improve understanding where my teachers might have not covered properly. You should still attend all classes though since teachers are very useful and knowledgeable with business as a whole.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (10)
6.02%
They've been reasonable (68)
40.96%
Not feeling great... (44)
26.51%
They are TERRIBLE! (44)