nasha fathima
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
hello, i came from India after 10th grade to the UK.i got the equivalent marks for science and maths but they said that the english in India wasn't equivalent to english here in the UK.so should i write gcse english while i am doing a levels.do universities look into your gcse grades?can somebody suggest how i should take the gcse english test?can someone make the process clear. pls reply if you have some suggestions?
Sneha_Maria
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm not really sure what to do about your situation but i don't think universities look much at your GCSE grades they focus more on your a levels. You should maybe talk to your teachers because they would know clearly what you would have to do. Good Luck with whatever happens
teilchen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nasha fathima)
hello, i came from India after 10th grade to the UK.i got the equivalent marks for science and maths but they said that the english in India wasn't equivalent to english here in the UK.so should i write gcse english while i am doing a levels.do universities look into your gcse grades?can somebody suggest how i should take the gcse english test?can someone make the process clear. pls reply if you have some suggestions?
You would need English language to get into uni or some other equivalent qualification if you can’t speak English properly but if you can speak English at a good level then it shouldn’t be an issue you can just take an English as a second language test and if you get a good grade (which you easily should be able to if your from India and can already speak English) then that’s counts - check on a uni website what the ESL test they want is and then google a place where you can take it (I doubt you would need to study there not that hard I go to an international school and kids who can barley speak English pass) that’s probably easier than doing a whole GCSE - you might not have to though like they wouldn’t ask an American to do it and American English isn’t exactly the same as British English
Last edited by teilchen; 1 year ago
NinjaBurger1337
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Most universities don't care much about GCSEs and if you have high quality A-Levels lower GCSE results can be overlooked. Though considering you have come from a non-English speaking country relatively recently a low grade in GCSE English could result in questions regarding your English and you could possibly have to take an English speaking test to prove you are fluent and capable of taking an English degree however, I do not know anything regarding this and it is just a speculation but it's just a thing to keep in mind whilst you do your GCSE.

Tips regarding the GCSE itself depend on whether you are taking English literature or English Language.

For Literature you should read all your texts at least twice and have a good understanding of each text in the context of it's historical context, language and themes to name a few. You should also memorise a series of quotes for every major character in all the texts. You should also have memorise a series of quotes from all the poems you are studying as you will be required to compare a given poem to one of the poems you studied however, you will not be provided with the poem. You should also practice analysing new poems as you will have to assess an unseen poem. This is all based on my GCSE experience so if they changed it since this might not be helpful however, I was in the first year to do the new specification so I think this is all still applicable.

In terms of English language I don't remember much. I know most of my preparation for Language was taken care of by Literature since it gave me the basic language analysis and writing skills needed for the exam. I suggest practising your writing under timed conditions. I remember you must be able to write within a given structure such as a letter or a creative story.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-Englis.../dp/1782943692
Above is a link to an AQA revision guide which will be more helpful than me.

HOWEVER! Your specification will depend on the exam board you are taking your exam with. I took both my GCSEs with AQA therefore my tips are specific to the AQA exams. Ask your English teachers what exam board you are taking your exams with and what texts you are doing if you are doing English Literature so you can buy your revision guides accordingly. Your exam board is important to both the Language and Literature GCSEs therefore make sure you find out the board so you can buy the correct materials.
NinjaBurger1337
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by emilybond:))
You would need English language to get into uni or some other equivalent qualification if you can’t speak English properly but if you can speak English at a good level then it shouldn’t be an issue you can just take an English as a second language test and if you get a good grade (which you easily should be able to if your from India and can already speak English) then that’s counts - check on a uni website what the ESL test they want is and then google a place where you can take it (I doubt you would need to study there not that hard I go to an international school and kids who can barley speak English pass) that’s probably easier than doing a whole GCSE - you might not have to though like they wouldn’t ask an American to do it and American English isn’t exactly the same as British English
She might not need an English GCSE for University but her College/6Form might require her to do the GCSE in the background for her to be taken onto the courses she wants.
nasha fathima
Rep:
?
thank you so much for replying. Ive completed my primary education in the UK and i moved back to india so i am fluent in speaking english and writing. Ive heard of an IELTS exam which the international students take.Is it better to do this or take gcse english (can i only take gcse english seperatley ).I am taking english as my fourth subject in alevels. some universities require a specific grade for english in gcse.Which is the best option to opt for?
nasha fathima
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sneha_Maria)
I'm not really sure what to do about your situation but i don't think universities look much at your GCSE grades they focus more on your a levels. You should maybe talk to your teachers because they would know clearly what you would have to do. Good Luck with whatever happens
thank you so much for replying.yes i will surely talk to my teachers about it .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (107)
63.31%
I don't have everything I need (62)
36.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed