Can I not get any uni offers? Should I apply to a ‘safe’ uni? Watch

Starrymatt
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I’m starting year 13 and will be applying to unis. I got AAB for my AS, so I’ll likely get A*A*A predictions. I’m going to go to a few open days (basically all I can fit in) but I’m specifically looking at Russel group universities and I’ve just thought about what if I don’t get any offers (like I don’t know if my application will be that interesting apart from my grades).

Should I look at some safe uni one of the days instead of the Russel groups ones? Or should I not waste the day and application spot for a safe uni? I already have zero idea what uni I want to go to so I’m going to the open days to see if I like any place.

I think I’m just getting worked up over nothing but I’m suddenly very anxious about this.
emilybond:)
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Starrymatt)
I’m starting year 13 and will be applying to unis. I got AAB for my AS, so I’ll likely get A*A*A predictions. I’m going to go to a few open days (basically all I can fit in) but I’m specifically looking at Russel group universities and I’ve just thought about what if I don’t get any offers (like I don’t know if my application will be that interesting apart from my grades).

Should I look at some safe uni one of the days instead of the Russel groups ones? Or should I not waste the day and application spot for a safe uni? I already have zero idea what uni I want to go to so I’m going to the open days to see if I like any place.

I think I’m just getting worked up over nothing but I’m suddenly very anxious about this.
Most Russel group unis wouldn’t even require those grades for most courses except for super competitive ones - look at each uni individually for their requirements but A*A*A would be good enough to apply anywhere but my school always recommended applying for one safer option just in case as you can’t predict everything but you get applications so you can apply wherever you want for the other four just pick maybe one that’s like AAB grades like your AS
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
What course are you thinking of applying for?
Unless it's medicine, or dentistry or other healthcare courses, or unless your personal statement consists of "Hi admissions tutor, you're a ****" repeated enough so that it reaches the 1000-character minimum, you'll definitely get offers.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago

Why do you think your predictions will be so high: have you worked above an A grade all year? Russell group is only important for some degrees - what are you considering?
tbofig
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
At the majority of RG unis those grades will get you an offer alone (along with your PS). You may have to work harder to get offers from Oxbridge if that’s something you’re interested in.
Starrymatt
Rep:
?
(Original post by emilybond:))
Most Russel group unis wouldn’t even require those grades for most courses except for super competitive ones - look at each uni individually for their requirements but A*A*A would be good enough to apply anywhere but my school always recommended applying for one safer option just in case as you can’t predict everything but you get applications so you can apply wherever you want for the other four just pick maybe one that’s like AAB grades like your AS
I’m looking at history or philosophy (possibly maths? But probably not) so most places I looked at have A*AA-ABB requirements. I guess I’ll make sure to apply for one of the unis with lower grade boundaries from the Russel group maybe
Starrymatt
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
What course are you thinking of applying for?
Unless it's medicine, or dentistry or other healthcare courses, or unless your personal statement consists of "Hi admissions tutor, you're a ****" repeated enough so that it reaches the 1000-character minimum, you'll definitely get offers.
History or philosophy (possibly maths, but I’m almost sure I won’t actuslly apply for maths) so I don’t think they’re tooooo competitive
Starrymatt
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
Why do you think your predictions will be so high: have you worked above an A grade all year? Russell group is only important for some degrees - what are you considering?
I got AAB in my AS (not mocks) and my teachers said they will predict a grade higher than we got in AS, plus I’ve been doing well in all my lessons last year, so I’m pretty sure I will get A*A*A predictions. I’m looking at history or philosophy, and I was looking at Russel group because I feel like I could get in and it’s goes down from looking at 100 of unis to looking at 20 unis (I was super anxious abt looking at unis, looking at fewer made me calmer)
Starrymatt
Rep:
?
(Original post by tbofig)
At the majority of RG unis those grades will get you an offer alone (along with your PS). You may have to work harder to get offers from Oxbridge if that’s something you’re interested in.
Ah that’s good ty I’m definitely not looking at oxbridge, just the other Russel group unis
plainjayne1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
When applying for a 'safe' uni, really consider whether you'd go there if you didn't meet your firm offer. I was pushed into applying to a 'safe' uni and I would have declined it if I didn't meet my firm. Don't waste your insurance choice, there's always clearing. Definitely start looking at entry requirements and different unis, student reviews are always good to look at. Make a list and shortlist it to the 5 courses for your ucas application, which will need to go down to 2 if you got offers for each one, and keep a list of ones you'll be interested in for clearing choices. Be bold, go with what you feel is right for you, your grades are great.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I got AAB in my AS (not mocks) and my teachers said they will predict a grade higher than we got in AS, plus I’ve been doing well in all my lessons last year, so I’m pretty sure I will get A*A*A predictions. I’m looking at history or philosophy, and I was looking at Russel group because I feel like I could get in and it’s goes down from looking at 100 of unis to looking at 20 unis (I was super anxious abt looking at unis, looking at fewer made me calmer)
Please note it is Russell

There are some good non-RG unis so think about whereabouts you want to be - near home, far from home, city/big city, campus uni ....
Starrymatt
Rep:
?
(Original post by plainjayne1)
When applying for a 'safe' uni, really consider whether you'd go there if you didn't meet your firm offer. I was pushed into applying to a 'safe' uni and I would have declined it if I didn't meet my firm. Don't waste your insurance choice, there's always clearing. Definitely start looking at entry requirements and different unis, student reviews are always good to look at. Make a list and shortlist it to the 5 courses for your ucas application, which will need to go down to 2 if you got offers for each one, and keep a list of ones you'll be interested in for clearing choices. Be bold, go with what you feel is right for you, your grades are great.
That’s my worry, in case I’m very excited about my good choices and then I don’t like my safe choice and have to go there :/ i guess I can always decline them and go through clearing. I put time into looking into the entry requirements to all the unis I’m interested in and I looked up open days (which start next weekend) and I’m just worried about visiting other unis since basically most my weekends are full with those open days. I think I really need to look into some safe options soon then
swanseajack1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
who have you considered so far and answer the queries Muttley 79 posed. There are non RG universities like Lancaster as good as most in the RG
plainjayne1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
You'll only get a firm and an insurance so the insurance needs to have slightly lower but don't make it stupidly low like I did. Leave the safe places for clearing. I also don't think that RG is always that important. My safe choice is still in clearing now, I met my firm conditions.
Starrymatt
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
who have you considered so far and answer the queries Muttley 79 posed. There are non RG universities like Lancaster as good as most in the RG
I said in another comment it isn’t specifically that I NEED to get into RG, I saw say the entry requirements and I feel like I could get in + looking at 20 unis(only RG) vs 100 unis just gives me less anxiety and makes me calmer about looking into the unis. Those that I’ve looked at fit what I want from a uni. I know there are non-RG just as good as RG, but again I’m not looking into RG simply because I only want to go to RG
Starrymatt
Rep:
?
(Original post by plainjayne1)
You'll only get a firm and an insurance so the insurance needs to have slightly lower but don't make it stupidly low like I did. Leave the safe places for clearing. I also don't think that RG is always that important. My safe choice is still in clearing now, I met my firm conditions.
Thanks I didn’t even think about leaving the safe choice just for clearing and having a slightly lower uni in my second choice. And I know, I’ve stated my reasons for only looking into RG in other comments (less anxiety when looking into unis)
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
History or philosophy (possibly maths, but I’m almost sure I won’t actuslly apply for maths) so I don’t think they’re tooooo competitive
No, chances are at most RG universities around 80% at least of applicants get offers. And people will be applying with worse grades.
Universities always give out far many more offers than they have place because they know not everyone will be going there.

Just looking at some unis so far - you can see the stats on the Which site but these are their offer rates for history. I don't see why philosophy would be dramatically different.

UCL? 86% of applicants get offers
Durham - 60%
Bristol - 92%
Warwick - 92%

you get the picture. There will be people applying for whom their aspirational choice of university is a safe one for you.
Last edited by Sinnoh; 5 months ago
Starrymatt
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
No, chances are at most RG universities around 80% at least of applicants get offers. And people will be applying with worse grades.
Universities always give out far many more offers than they have place because they know not everyone will be going there.

Just looking at some unis so far - you can see the stats on the Which site but these are their offer rates for history. I don't see why philosophy would be dramatically different.

UCL? 86% of applicants get offers
Durham - 60%
Bristol - 92%
Warwick - 92%

you get the picture. There will be people applying for whom their aspirational choice of university is a safe one for you.
That’s very reassuring I guess there’s a good chance I will get offers then, that was just a random worry (idk why I even thought about it, it just came to mind and I got stuck on it)
swanseajack1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I said in another comment it isn’t specifically that I NEED to get into RG, I saw say the entry requirements and I feel like I could get in + looking at 20 unis(only RG) vs 100 unis just gives me less anxiety and makes me calmer about looking into the unis. Those that I’ve looked at fit what I want from a uni. I know there are non-RG just as good as RG, but again I’m not looking into RG simply because I only want to go to RG
To really help you we need to know where you will feel most comfortable. It is no use suggesting Durham if you want to be in London. As a personal choice I would suggest looking at Durham, York and Lancaster in the North. Bristol and Exeter in the South East and Warwick in the Midlands. If you are looking for bigger cities look at Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham, Bristol and Cardiff. Royal Holloway, Kent and Sussex are campus universities worth looking in the South.
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
That’s very reassuring I guess there’s a good chance I will get offers then, that was just a random worry (idk why I even thought about it, it just came to mind and I got stuck on it)
Unless you apply to Oxford/Cambridge (and especially since they give out all their offers on one particular day) or maybe LSE and St. Andrew's, what people stress about isn't if they'll get an offer but how long they're going to have to wait to hear back.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (79)
57.66%
Yes- I don't like it (8)
5.84%
No- I want it (43)
31.39%
No- I don't want it (7)