The Student Room Group

I got all A*'s at GCSE and A-Level: ask me anything (advice thread)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rose236
At GCSE I got 11 A*'s (Maths, English lang/lit, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Business, Spanish, Geography, Photography, ICT) and at A-Level I got 3 A*'s in Maths, Economics, and Biology, an A* in my EPQ (on the sugar tax) and an A in AS Further Maths (which I self taught- I did S1 and FP1). I was on Edexcel for all 3 A-Levels and my AS. GCSE's vary but Edexcel for Maths and English. I am open to answering any questions about my grades or the subjects I took and will try my best to give advice :smile:

Edit: Because quite a few people have asked, I got offers to study economics at Warwick (A*AA), Durham (A*AA), Bath (A*AA) and Loughborough (AAB) and was pooled at Cambridge. In a few weeks, I will be attending Warwick to study economics. For anyone wondering why I chose Warwick over Durham/Bath, Warwick is 3rd in the UK for economics behind Cambridge and Oxford (it was 2nd in 2016, overtaking Oxford) and I really didn't like Durham's college system (especially in comparison to the one at Cambridge) and I prefer a more modern university. I didn't apply to any London universities (UCL or LSE) because I really didn't want to go to university in a big city, I prefer campus universities and London is too close to home for my liking.

I'm finding it easier to explain everything in videos as I am repeating a lot as I like to reply to everyone. If anyone has any other videos they want me to upload rather than giving them a written response, please let me know. Thank you! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSMnStl8X7unWQq8rZMwiYw/featured
-Video about my experience applying to Cambridge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNrmxbfAlyU&t=5s
-How to get all A*'s at GCSE: https://youtu.be/o1f65qpdGno (PLEASE WATCH THIS BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION ABOUT GCSE's)
-How to be productive after school: https://youtu.be/m565LgnB5Xg

Disclaimer: I am not bragging I just want to help people since I enjoy tutoring. The reason I listed grades and subjects was 1) so that people doing the same subjects as me can ask for specific advice and 2) because showing the grades I got proves that the techniques I used to revise and learn worked for me and helped me to achieve my grades. I can provide advice to people of all abilities and stages in school.

Hello my name is adam I've seen your post and it looks like you can help me, I'm asking for wise opinions towards a 17 year old student that is willing to start self tutoring as a private candidate studying the igcse curriculum, is it possible? what difficulties might I face? what online sites would be useful like khans academy or other free educational sources, and what advices would you give.

I know I'm kind of late in studying high school because of some circumstances That occurred in my life, but I believe it's never late to be educated, especially for what I know about my self that I am a fast learner focused on my goal and willing to give all my efforts to achieve this goal.
Original post by rose236
Thank you! Is this for maths GCSE or A-Level? (my advice differs depending on what one)
And I never had coursework for English lit so I can't give you advice on that one sorry!A levels:smile:

A levels :smile:
I have a large lack of confidence , I haven’t been able to attend many activities or courses other than sixth form Lessons. I haven’t even done ncs . What on earth can I write on my personal statement to make me stand out and get a place at uni . I want to apply to either kings , imperial , queen mary , ucl
Reply 283
Original post by eden-hvniyya
A levels :smile:

Just do as many past papers as you can! and make sure u fully understand the content as and when you learn it as it makes revision much easier
Reply 284
Original post by Sudanidoll
I have a large lack of confidence , I haven’t been able to attend many activities or courses other than sixth form Lessons. I haven’t even done ncs . What on earth can I write on my personal statement to make me stand out and get a place at uni . I want to apply to either kings , imperial , queen mary , ucl

I never did dofe or ncs or anything like that so dont worry. I would focus on supercurriculars- reading books, watching documentaries/podcasts etc. maybe do an online course on FutureLearn and write about that! there's a small section on my personal statement in my Cambridge advice video so that may help you as I explain how to write about books in your ps.
@rose236
@rose236

hi there what arethe best sites to do extra revision on CORE SUBJECTS
I did five o levels already including English but not maths and now I am doing AS levels chemistry/physics/ biology . I am 20 and like I said I took my study leave from grade 11 and now I can't attend school but the problem is if I passed my exams (AS)will the universities require MY grade 12 certificate ?
Original post by rose236
if you watch the how i got all A*'s in gcse's video linked on first page, it explains how i revised english. also look in the description box and I have linked the youtuber than I use to do so (mr bruff). It was mindmaps, reading the books and also his youtube channel that helped the most.

thanks
Reply 288
Original post by Ibrahim716119
@rose236
@rose236

hi there what arethe best sites to do extra revision on CORE SUBJECTS

by this do you mean maths, english, science at GCSE level?
if so maths: maths genie (good for a-level too)
english: mr bruff on youtube
sciences: freesciencelessons on youtube for physics and bbc bitesize for all
Reply 289
Original post by zylanxx12
I did five o levels already including English but not maths and now I am doing AS levels chemistry/physics/ biology . I am 20 and like I said I took my study leave from grade 11 and now I can't attend school but the problem is if I passed my exams (AS)will the universities require MY grade 12 certificate ?

as far as I'm aware, universities don't require any physical qualification certificates if you apply to them via UCAS. technically they could ask for proof, but I don't think they usually do
I'm not sure if you've been asked this already but do you have any advice for getting an A* in EPQ?

My problem is that I don't know what good topic to do for my EPQ and I'm struggling. Also how would you advice I organise my time for EPQ please?
Reply 291
Original post by Hiro2468
I'm not sure if you've been asked this already but do you have any advice for getting an A* in EPQ?

My problem is that I don't know what good topic to do for my EPQ and I'm struggling. Also how would you advice I organise my time for EPQ please?

No, I haven't really been asked about my EPQ really! My question was 'How will imposing a sugar tax impact diabetes and obesity levels in the UK' or something along those lines. My advice would be to link your EPQ to at least 1 A-Level subject but not to the specification obviously (mine linked to both biology and economics) and also the course you want to study at uni. I chose mine by looking at economics news articles and decided I could develop it in depth since I found it interesting so maybe look at current news to help you decide a topic. For time management I created a gantt chart on excel (google EPQ gantt chart if you don't already know what it is) but I didn't really stick to it. I had to rush my EPQ, I started in September of year 13 (I was meant to start in March of year 12), started the essay in November, finished the essay in December and presented in February I believe. I would recommend doing your EPQ 2-3 times a week after school rather than doing it once and then leaving it for 2 weeks as you usually use your train of thought and this way you can get it out the way quickly. Definitely do some research alongside the essay whilst writing it and reference sources as you go along. Also, gather as much primary research as you can by emailing charities (I emailed diabetes UK etc.) or authors of news articles, and create online surveys on websites such as survey monkey and ensure you get around 50-60 responses (I just got my dad to send the link to some employees at work and then sent it to my family and friends as I needed a range of ages). Also put your data into excel and create graphs to put in your essay to add a visual element if you aren't doing a practical EPQ.
Original post by rose236
At GCSE I got 11 A*'s (Maths, English lang/lit, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Business, Spanish, Geography, Photography, ICT) and at A-Level I got 3 A*'s in Maths, Economics, and Biology, an A* in my EPQ (on the sugar tax) and an A in AS Further Maths (which I self taught- I did S1 and FP1). I was on Edexcel for all 3 A-Levels and my AS. GCSE's vary but Edexcel for Maths and English. I am open to answering any questions about my grades or the subjects I took and will try my best to give advice :smile:

Edit: Because quite a few people have asked, I got offers to study economics at Warwick (A*AA), Durham (A*AA), Bath (A*AA) and Loughborough (AAB) and was pooled at Cambridge. I didn't apply to any London universities (UCL or LSE) because I really didn't want to go to university in a big city, I prefer campus universities and London is too close to home for my liking.

-Video about my experience applying to Cambridge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNrmxbfAlyU&t=5s

Disclaimer: I am not bragging I just want to help people since I enjoy tutoring. The reason I listed grades and subjects was 1) so that people doing the same subjects as me can ask for specific advice and 2) because showing the grades I got proves that the techniques I used to revise and learn worked for me and helped me to achieve my grades. I can provide advice to people of all abilities and stages in school.

2 questions
1. how did you get an a star at epq
2. I wanna go into economics/business when Im older. Should I keep psychology which is what im doing at a levels right now or change to history. Basically I wanna do well and so far Im not liking psychology at all however weve done the worst topic apparently so it might get better. What goes better with business and economics between psychology and history, what would top unis like canebridge and oxford prefer between them for business and economics and what would they prefer in general and which is easier. But yeah from what Ive told u should I take a risk and do history or just stick to psychology even though so far im not liking it but it might get better.
hi! I was wondering if you had the answers to the cgp workbook answers from triple science in biology, chemistry and physics? if you do, if anyone else does, please could you send me a private message with the pdf or whatever form it is in? it will be appreciated a lot!! thanks! x
Original post by rose236
i watched econplusdal on youtube, wrote notes using the videos, added to the notes using the revision guide and then wrote out essay plans using tutor2u based on the topic I revised
I also used quizlet for definitions and did every single past paper
I recommend also using quizlet to memorise application/content e.g. current unemployment rate, CA deficit in the uk etc.

Could you give an example of an essay plan please? I don't understand how to make one.
I'm in year 13 and wondered whether you had any personal advice into how to achieve an A*, I'm hovering around a solid A but wondered what differentiated you into getting an A*
what advice would you give to a year 13 who wishes to achieve an A*, what differentiates the good form the best and what techniques would you advise practising ( application ??)
Reply 297
Original post by rose236

Edit: Because quite a few people have asked, I got offers to study economics at Warwick (A*AA), Durham (A*AA), Bath (A*AA) and Loughborough (AAB) and was pooled at Cambridge. I didn't apply to any London universities (UCL or LSE) because I really didn't want to go to university in a big city, I prefer campus universities and London is too close to home for my liking.

How did you revise for english language,did you read lots of books and if you did,do you recommend any to improve vocabulary and make it sophisticated?
I am currently struggling with english language and I would like to improve (hopefully to get an 8), any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Quick Reply

Latest