I got all A*'s at GCSE and A-Level: ask me anything (advice thread) Watch

zaizay03
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by zaizay03)
i got (3) 8s (2) 7s and (5) 6s at gcse and i am going to do chem physics maths and history at a level. How likely is it that i can get into cambridge to do natural sciences with my gcse grades? also i got an 8 for maths and sciences and a 7 for history.
also i wasnt the most studious person in year 11 simply because i didnt care nor did i have any motivation. i plan to study early on for As so that all my predicted grades are a* and as.
rose236
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by JustStudy)
How often did you study a day for GCSES?
Maths advice?
I did a lot of revision for GCSE's. Starting from the second week of April half term I would get up at 8:30am and revise until I went to bed, with a few breaks (unless I was going out for the day in which case I would only do 1-2h).
I didnt actually revise a lot for maths GCSE as it was my strongest subject so instead, i focused on english. When i did revise i focused on learning the formula and did past papers.
rose236
Rep:
?
(Original post by zaizay03)
i got (3) 8s (2) 7s and (5) 6s at gcse and i am going to do chem physics maths and history at a level. How likely is it that i can get into cambridge to do natural sciences with my gcse grades? also i got an 8 for maths and sciences and a 7 for history.
I can't tell you how likely it is, however, if you get good A-Level predicted grades and you exceed the offer conditions then you have a good chance. Cambridge really aren't that bothered about GCSE's. As long as you got the top grades in maths science and history they will be completely fine. People from my school got in and they didnt have all A's and A*'s at GCSE so dont worry.
kaylah33
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Were there any specific websites, books or YouTube channels that you found helpful for a level maths?
rose236
Rep:
?
(Original post by kaylah33)
Were there any specific websites, books or YouTube channels that you found helpful for a level maths?
https://www.examsolutions.net/a-level-maths/edexcel/

I used this website, past papers and the standard textbook
rose236
Rep:
?
(Original post by Obolinda)
how did you revise Spanish?
Spanish was my worst subject probably, I'd never before got an A* until my GCSE. I used the apps duolingo and memrise, they helped a lot with vocab and learning new words so I would definitely use those. Besides that I just memorised complex phrases to use in my writing as that guarantees you high marks. Learn phrases that you can integrate into any given context.
FahadMuh247
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
How would you recommend revising for Mandarin? Its the only subject that is pulling me down.
rose236
Rep:
?
(Original post by FahadMuh247)
How would you recommend revising for Mandarin? Its the only subject that is pulling me down.
I'm not entirely sure since I'ver never studied it but I would say download an app to help you learn vocab and again, memorize complex phrases and tenses that you can use in any kind of writing to ensure that you get a high grade.
FahadMuh247
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by rose236)
I'm not entirely sure since I'ver never studied it but I would say download an app to help you learn vocab and again, memorize complex phrases and tenses that you can use in any kind of writing to ensure that you get a high grade.
Btw im starting Year11 this September. How many hours a day do you think i should be revising for mocks and then the actual thing?
rose236
Rep:
?
(Original post by FahadMuh247)
Btw im starting Year11 this September. How many hours a day do you think i should be revising for mocks and then the actual thing?
For mocks, probably like 2h30 after school and 4h weekends (on the weekend before the mocks-but does depend on how much work you need), for the actual thing, the day before do a whole day, so like 8h on the subject. In the weeks before GCSE's (I started revision during the second week of april half term) I think I did about 4h a day when I had a day off school and probably 4h after school too. If, for example, you have never got an 8 in english before and thats the grade you want, you need to do more hours. If you consistently get 8's and 9's, you can get away with doing less.
JustStudy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Best GCSE English websites?
If you did History or geography, how did you revise them?
rose236
Rep:
?
(Original post by JustStudy)
Best GCSE English websites?
If you did History or geography, how did you revise them?
Mr Bruff was all I used for GCSE english (https://www.youtube.com/user/mrbruff/playlists)

I did geography GCSE, I made posters for case studies, used the revision guide a lot and also watched youtube videos for the topics I found hard. I also did every single past paper (I was AQA).
kaylah33
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Was biology hard in terms of understanding the concepts and topics or for the fact that there’s a lot to remember, or both?
rose236
Rep:
?
(Original post by kaylah33)
Was biology hard in terms of understanding the concepts and topics or for the fact that there’s a lot to remember, or both?
I didn't find any of the concepts hard until the end of year 13 (topics 7 and 8 for edexcel). I mainly just found it difficult to remember everything, however, a lot of people found the content very hard to understand throughout the course so it really just depends on how good you are at biology. Biology has always been my strongest subject and I got full UMS at GCSE. If you start biology A-Level with an A or B at GCSE, likelihood is you will struggle because it can be very challenging.
febreze
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
what are your revision methods for different gcse subjects like english, sciences, maths , history, french
Bee Muza
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Suggestions on revision for English language and Literature?
rose236
Rep:
?
(Original post by febreze)
what are your revision methods for different gcse subjects like english, sciences, maths , history, french
english: watch Mr Bruff videos, print out extracts relevent to the video and annotate them using the sample essays and annotation videos (would highly recommend this as the day before my english GCSE, I annotated the exact extract for A Christmas Carol that I got in my exam and I had very thorough notes on it) Also to reread the books, use audiobooks and always have it in the background playing (find it on youtube)
science: all past papers and rewriting the revision guide (they tell you not to do this but its literally the way i got an A* in every single science)
history i didnt do
french i didnt do but for spanish i used the app duolingo for vocab, sometimes quizlet and I also created phrases with really complicated tenses (that would only be taught at a-level), memorized them and then used these in my writing as it basically guarantees you high marks
GetGradenines
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by rose236)
At GCSE I got 11 A*'s (maths, english lang/lit, biology, chemistry, physics, business, spanish, geography, photography, ICT) and at A-Level I got 3 A*'s in maths, economics, and biology, an A* in my EPQ and an A in AS further maths (which I self-taught). I am open to answering any questions about my grades or the subjects I took and will try my best to give advice

video about my experience applying to cambridge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNrmxbfAlyU&t=5s
you only got an A is AS further maths and for that reason im out
rose236
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bee Muza)
Suggestions on revision for English language and Literature?
use this for language and literature: https://www.youtube.com/user/mrbruff/playlists (this got me the A*)
language: practice papers (dont fully answer the questions just plan answers), practice creative writing a few times though, learn timings of the exam
literature: the link above, annotate key exracts, learn literary devices that arent basic (for example, iambic pentameter for Shakespeare, difference between anthropomorphism and personification etc- there are loads more i cant rememeber as i did it 2 years ago so just look at sample essays from the link above) try to avoid the basic metaphor or simile unless you have something very unique to develop, listen to audiobooks of the books you read, also read the modern day english translation (link above) for shakespeare
rose236
Rep:
?
(Original post by GetGradenines)
you only got an A is AS further maths and for that reason im out
you cant get an A* at AS
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (39)
7.59%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (299)
58.17%
No (176)
34.24%

Watched Threads