LisaLiz
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m starting sixth form in about 2 weeks. Originally I chose Level 3 Btec national extended diploma Im health and social care to study however I decided to do two Btecs and 1 A level which are Health and social care , Sociology and Performing arts. I want to go to university to study nursing however I feel Like the courses I have chosen do not support what I want to do. Would it be better picking applied science as a Btec (I wouldn’t recommend myself doing A level science because gcse science was not my strong point) anyone got some suggestions ?
Starlight15
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LisaLiz)
I’m starting sixth form in about 2 weeks. Originally I chose Level 3 Btec national extended diploma Im health and social care to study however I decided to do two Btecs and 1 A level which are Health and social care , Sociology and Performing arts. I want to go to university to study nursing however I feel Like the courses I have chosen do not support what I want to do. Would it be better picking applied science as a Btec (I wouldn’t recommend myself doing A level science because gcse science was not my strong point) anyone got some suggestions ?
Hello, I did BTEC Health and Social Care, Sociology and graphics but I dropped graphics in year 13 as it was really stressful and build on top of my workload. So I did sociology and BTEC health and social care and managed to get into midwifery and now going into second year.

If you want to do nursing I would recommend doing sociology and Btec health and social care as it would be more relevant to nursing. Doing performing arts will probably increase the workload as you would have more courseworkso to complete.

If your really passionate about performing arts and willing to sacrifice your time for it then do it but if you want less workload and stress then it's better to do sociology and health and social care.

Hope this helps
Starlight15
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You said that you wanted to do applied science as a BTEC so those would be good options and will be relevant to nursing. So either:

BTEC Applied Science and Sociology
BTEC Health and Social Care and Sociology
BTEC Health and Social Care and BTEC Applied Science

Or if you really want to do 2 BTECs and an A level then

BTEC Health and Social Care, BTEC Applied Science and Sociology

It's up to you . Don't stress yourself like I did
Last edited by Starlight15; 1 year ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LisaLiz)
You need to check that that your combination has enough science for nursing. Check entry requirements for nursing courses, but in my experience they require enough Biology or about 1 A levels worth of science. If you are determined to do performing arts then I think swapping one of the others for applied science would be better.

Nursing courses are normally fine with extended diploma in health and social care.
Check entry requirements of your targets.

If you couldnt cope at GCSE then I would be worried at you doing BTEC.

You need a combination that works for your target unis.

ps dont forget for your first degree you can do any subject i.e drama, but they will also fund a second degree in nursing. They will not do it the other way round, so be sure you want to do nursing as your first degree and not something else.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (103)
13.29%
I'm not sure (33)
4.26%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (238)
30.71%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.45%
I'm not a current university student (382)
49.29%

Watched Threads