The Student Room Group

Percentages of university bachelor degree levels in the UK ..

Hello,

What are the percentages of university bachelor degree grades in the UK?

In brick universities and in open University.

What percentage of people will get a 1st grade degree?
What percentage of people will get a 2:2 grade degree?
What percentage of people will get a 2:3 grade degree?
What percentage of people will get a 3:3 grade degree?
What percentage will fail?

"separate percentages for Brick and Open please"

The subject of the degree is not relevant to the question, the question only refers to a typical bachelor's degree in the UK.

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by DD1000
Hello,

The subject of the degree is not relevant to the question, the question only refers to a typical bachelor's degree in the UK.

Thanks

most of these categories don't exist but wikipedia has the answer
Reply 2
Original post by 2500_2
most of these categories don't exist but wikipedia has the answer

Thanks but there is no mention of open uni on that link, the stats don't appear to be out there. was looking for stats comparing brick and open uni including fails.
Reply 3
Original post by DD1000
Thanks but there is no mention of open uni on that link, the stats don't appear to be out there. was looking for stats comparing brick and open uni including fails.

I'm not sure why you couldn't find the Open University's guidelines?
Reply 4
Original post by 2500_2
I'm not sure why you couldn't find the Open University's guidelines?

this has nothing to do with the question. ?
Original post by DD1000
Hello,

Thanks

Have you searched Google? If you have, maybe put in a Freedom of Information request to the Open University.
Reply 6
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Have you searched Google? If you have, maybe put in a Freedom of Information request to the Open University.

Yes I always use search engines before asking on forums. I will ask the OU for stats.
Reply 7
Did you understand from the guidelines that the structure of the Open University is different to other universities and thus the concept of failing doesn't really apply?
Reply 8
Original post by 2500_2
Did you understand from the guidelines that the structure of the Open University is different to other universities and thus the concept of failing doesn't really apply?

yes I saw that but again not really relevant as some simple stats would have been fine for the first 3 grades.

example¨grades brick and open:

open 1st 28% brick 1st 25%
open 2:1 38% brick 2:1 33%
open 2:2 33% brick 2:2 29%

the remaining % would be bottom grade or fails

IRMC
Reply 9
I recommend you visit the www.unistats.ac.uk and enter your chosen course and University - you will then be able to select “Continuation and Degree Results” which includes a pie chart with these percentages. It can vary massively between Universities e.g my former course 14% get a 1:1 and at Open University in Education only 6.8% do. Equally my former course studied instead at Birmingham City University...35% get a 1st.

Edit: I previously studied Nursing...not Education - it’s an example of how “Brick” Universities dramatically vary themselves.
It seems also as though you’re trying to figure the same answer as me? I posted today querying the terrifying grade boundaries as I’ve applied for a Credit Transfer and previously scored 67%-87% on essays at my former University and I’m worried Open University will lead to me leaving with awful grades in comparison to topping up locally through a college.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Tearex
I recommend you visit the www.unistats.ac.uk and enter your chosen course and University - you will then be able to select “Continuation and Degree Results” which includes a pie chart with these percentages. It can vary massively between Universities e.g my former course 14% get a 1:1 and at Open University in Education only 6.8% do. Equally my former course studied instead at Birmingham City University...35% get a 1st.

Edit: I previously studied Nursing...not Education - it’s an example of how “Brick” Universities dramatically vary themselves.
It seems also as though you’re trying to figure the same answer as me? I posted today querying the terrifying grade boundaries as I’ve applied for a Credit Transfer and previously scored 67%-87% on essays at my former University and I’m worried Open University will lead to me leaving with awful grades in comparison to topping up locally through a college.

great link, thanks :smile:
Original post by DD1000
Hello,

Thanks

There's no such thing as a 2:3 or 3:3 degree

First
2:1
2:2
Third
Pass
Fail
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by bones-mccoy
There's no such thing as a 2:3 or 3:3 degree