Propranolol for anxiety Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi so I'm 18 and have been diagnosed with social anxiety for 3 years now even though I have suffered with it for 6 years. I have been given CBT of 6 weeks and later weekly counselling for 2 years. I feel the anxiety has slightly improved but not much. As a result of my anxiety, I have suffered stomach ulcers for which I was given omeprazole from my GP and take gaviscon for when I need it. In September, I will be starting uni and because it is a huge jump, I am extremely nervous and can already feel the ulcers setting in again. My GP has prescribed me with propranolol for the anxiety, they said it was a beta blocker. I know for sure I only want to take it on days that are extremely bad for me to get rid of the physical symptoms and know it can't do much for my mentally, but anyone who has used propranolol for anxiety before I just want to know if it works for you and what it feels like as this is my first time using medication for my anxiety and feel a little unsettled about using it.
TG1984
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yup, I was on it for a good few years. Came off it inbetween but had to go back on due to issues at work setting me off again.
First off, and this is important, some people need medication to deal with mental health. As good as CBT and meditation can be, your brain might not be producing the right chemicals and may need a kick start.
Second, I now use CBD oil and haven't had propranolol for 6 months. Definitely worth a look if you don't want to stay on the tablets.
Last edited by TG1984; 2 weeks ago
Deyesy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi so I'm 18 and have been diagnosed with social anxiety for 3 years now even though I have suffered with it for 6 years. I have been given CBT of 6 weeks and later weekly counselling for 2 years. I feel the anxiety has slightly improved but not much. As a result of my anxiety, I have suffered stomach ulcers for which I was given omeprazole from my GP and take gaviscon for when I need it. In September, I will be starting uni and because it is a huge jump, I am extremely nervous and can already feel the ulcers setting in again. My GP has prescribed me with propranolol for the anxiety, they said it was a beta blocker. I know for sure I only want to take it on days that are extremely bad for me to get rid of the physical symptoms and know it can't do much for my mentally, but anyone who has used propranolol for anxiety before I just want to know if it works for you and what it feels like as this is my first time using medication for my anxiety and feel a little unsettled about using it.
It's brilliant for me when I need to ease the physical symptoms of any anxiety I have
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by TG1984)
Yup, I was on it for a good few years. Came off it inbetween but had to go back on due to issues at work setting me off again.
First off, and this is important, some people need medication to deal with mental health. As good as CBT and meditation can be, your brain might not be producing the right chemicals and may need a kick start.
Second, I now use CBD oil and haven't had propranolol for 6 months. Definitely worth a look if you don't want to stay on the tablets.
what is cbd oil and how do you use it?
TG1984
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
what is cbd oil and how do you use it?
It's an extract from cannabis that has many benefits, that can't officially be mentioned because of the lack of scientific study, but I've yet to hear of anyone who it hasn't helped. I've had friends who've used it to treat tumours, or severe epilepsy (much stronger and with THC tho). There are tons on the market just now but you need to watch which ones are properly made and certified so that what they say on the bottle is what's actually in it: Hope CBD is well respected and the one I use.
Lots of different ways to 'take' it: liquid drops under the tongue, chewy sweet, vape etc.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by TG1984)
It's an extract from cannabis that has many benefits, that can't officially be mentioned because of the lack of scientific study, but I've yet to hear of anyone who it hasn't helped. I've had friends who've used it to treat tumours, or severe epilepsy (much stronger and with THC tho). There are tons on the market just now but you need to watch which ones are properly made and certified so that what they say on the bottle is what's actually in it: Hope CBD is well respected and the one I use.
Lots of different ways to 'take' it: liquid drops under the tongue, chewy sweet, vape etc.
I am very anti-drugs of any kind, but I am a recent convert to cbd oil. I have the Kiki Health brand at 5%, which is quite pricey, but it has worked wonders with my anxiety and depression. I get very anxious in social situations, and it has definitely helped keep the edge off. x
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Thanks guys, it was a difficult topic to talk disclose even anonymously and you guys have helped me out
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (188)
23.92%
Pop (192)
24.43%
Jazz (30)