The Student Room Group

Gcse science 2020 - help

Hi I really want to do triple science and get all 9s since I really love science and I really want to take it for a level but sadly I'm going to be doing combined science but I want to do really really good in my mocks and get 8s so I can do triple science.. Any tips? I've also been told that freesciencelessons doesn't cover all the content for his videos 🤔
Reply 1
BTW I'm doing AQA
Reply 2
Good luck, I got 5 9s including all 3 sciences at GCSE this year and it’s completely achievable (not without work)!

Most schools in my area said that anyone getting 5 or below did combined foundation, and only people getting 7s or above did triple higher (what you’re wanting to do). Point being that a lot of schools will only let the best students do separate higher tier science because of how high the grade boundaries can be, so you need to be in the top end of your year group. Just work hard for mocks, and when you’ve done better than most of your year go to your head of science and ask to do separate higher!
Hello!

Hope you're doing well, you can still get a 9-9 in combined science which is worth 2 GCSEs. I have just finished my exams so happy to help. (just drop me a message :biggrin:) I mainly used primrose kitten and then freesciencelessons for my practical's - so I could go over them again. His video's are quite short but full of content that you'll need to know. Although, it's good to have your revision book/guide by you when going through either primrose/freescience videos so you're not falling behind.

Secondly, use practice papers! They are honestly are godsend, especially in year 11 once you know the content. Once you've completed the past paper make sure to use the mark scheme closely to mark your answers and to see what the examiner wanted you to write in your response.

Another thing I would advise to do is to print out the specification for Biology, Chemistry, and physics. You need to know the content to be able to answer the questions confidently. I stored my specs in a generic folder and just highlighted the topics I knew and didn't know. Anything you're stuck on, means you gotta work a bit harder on. It does get easier though!

Good luck and make sure you get support from your teachers!
Reply 4
My tips would be to definitely work hard for mocks to show off that you can handle Triple otherwise the teachers will just keep you on Combined. Also, if you do good in mocks, be sure to ask your teacher / head of subject straight away otherwise if you leave it too late, you might not be entered :frown:

For revising, I mostly use past paper questions and practice questions so I know what the questions look like and I also use senecalearning.com which is really good for covering the information quickly and apparently somehow helps you to remember it!

Good luck, I hope you can get into Triple :biggrin:
Reply 5
Something that really helped me in science was to download (and print off) the specification. The AQA specification is really detailed and will have all of the knowledge you need to know included. I usually use the specification to make a list of all the topics that I am confident in and a list of all of the topics that I feel that I am weaker in. I will then prioritise the subjects that I am weaker in and review (or make new) detailed notes before making flashcards on key terms that i need to know. When I felt confident with the topic I then did some past paper questions on it - which also really helps with exam technique.

When I felt as though I had covered everything I then did a full past paper (under exam conditions) and then reviewed which topics I was still weak on.

I hope you do really well in your mocks and get into triple but even if they don’t go to plan many sixth forms/colleges allow you to take sciences for A-level with a good grade (usually 7-7 and above) in combined science.
Original post by Roseee003
Hi I really want to do triple science and get all 9s since I really love science and I really want to take it for a level but sadly I'm going to be doing combined science but I want to do really really good in my mocks and get 8s so I can do triple science.. Any tips? I've also been told that freesciencelessons doesn't cover all the content for his videos 🤔

I just did my GCSE’s and got 8’s in all 3 sciences. My advice would be to work really hard for mocks and start your revision early so you are prepared for them and can show your teachers your capability. However, it is still possible to do science at A level despite having done double science although it will be harder to do so, it is not impossible. I also recommend using science with hazel on YouTube- her videos are the best! Good luck :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Roseee003

Hi! I was actually in your position in Year 10 (although we didn't start triple until Year 11!) I was getting really low grades in science due to lack of care tbh, however, my teachers knew I could do better so luckily they let me take triple. Although, this motivated to stick with it so in my mocks I started getting 9's instead of 5's. Now that I have my results getting the 9's felt a lot more worth it. BUT the point of this story was that it wasn't easy haha, a lot of the time I got the 'you're naturally smart' but honestly even the most intelligent people have to work for their accomplishments! So one thing is don't compare your work hours/ethic to others! Now for tips, I think for long term revision try and make flashcards at the end of each topic for each subject (especially for Biology) as then when it comes to exam time you will already have resources so won't have to spend endless hours creating resources instead of revising them. Also, try and start with 30 min to 1 hour revision from the start (very light revision) and gradually increase it throughout the year! so you are used to it, rather than jamming it all in May. Now for short term tips during exam time, I think a lot of the time people are against using things like Freesciencelessons however, I think it is very useful the day before the exam as it is short and will give your mind a refresh of everything but not in a daunting and overwhelming way! Sorry this became really rambly haha! Let me know if you have any other questions about other subjects or GCSE's overall! & Good luck you'll be great!
Reply 8
I'd love to get all 9s if I did triple. I did do a few weeks of revision for biology and physics (but for chemistry I find it so hard and need motivation) the rest of the weeks I just made notes from freesciencelessons because it was quite simple and now I've got the revision guides so I can fill in the things I don't have.. Btw how many times should you revise each topic before the exam? When is it the best time to revise as in night or morning or evening. BTW thank you so much for your advice I really appreciate it 🤗 and Congratulations for your results it's soo good I wish you all the best in sixth form (if ur going)
Reply 9
Original post by emilyfields101
I just did my GCSE’s and got 8’s in all 3 sciences. My advice would be to work really hard for mocks and start your revision early so you are prepared for them and can show your teachers your capability. However, it is still possible to do science at A level despite having done double science although it will be harder to do so, it is not impossible. I also recommend using science with hazel on YouTube- her videos are the best! Good luck :smile:

Hi! Congratulations for your results they're soo good 😍 Thank you so much for your advice I really appreciate it and I 2ill definitely check Science with Hazel out. I feel like doing double science makes me feel like I'm not smart (because I really want to study medicine in the future)
Reply 10
Original post by Kohayton
Something that really helped me in science was to download (and print off) the specification. The AQA specification is really detailed and will have all of the knowledge you need to know included. I usually use the specification to make a list of all the topics that I am confident in and a list of all of the topics that I feel that I am weaker in. I will then prioritise the subjects that I am weaker in and review (or make new) detailed notes before making flashcards on key terms that i need to know. When I felt confident with the topic I then did some past paper questions on it - which also really helps with exam technique.

When I felt as though I had covered everything I then did a full past paper (under exam conditions) and then reviewed which topics I was still weak on.

I hope you do really well in your mocks and get into triple but even if they don’t go to plan many sixth forms/colleges allow you to take sciences for A-level with a good grade (usually 7-7 and above) in combined science.

Hi! Thank you so much for your advice I will definitely try it out! I love science in general and I want to do medicine in the future so I want to show my family and everyone how good I am in science and if i don't get into combined science... I wouldn't be too sad but I would Probably aim for 9-9 or maybe 9-8 since I'd have fewer topics to revise from 😊🤗 BTW thank you again for taking your time typing your reply I really appreciate it
Reply 11
Original post by twahaa
My tips would be to definitely work hard for mocks to show off that you can handle Triple otherwise the teachers will just keep you on Combined. Also, if you do good in mocks, be sure to ask your teacher / head of subject straight away otherwise if you leave it too late, you might not be entered :frown:

For revising, I mostly use past paper questions and practice questions so I know what the questions look like and I also use senecalearning.com which is really good for covering the information quickly and apparently somehow helps you to remember it!

Good luck, I hope you can get into Triple :biggrin:

Hey!!! Thank you for your lovely advice I really appreciate it and I will definitely try it out!
Reply 12
Original post by Hazzabear
Hello!

Hope you're doing well, you can still get a 9-9 in combined science which is worth 2 GCSEs. I have just finished my exams so happy to help. (just drop me a message :biggrin:) I mainly used primrose kitten and then freesciencelessons for my practical's - so I could go over them again. His video's are quite short but full of content that you'll need to know. Although, it's good to have your revision book/guide by you when going through either primrose/freescience videos so you're not falling behind.

Secondly, use practice papers! They are honestly are godsend, especially in year 11 once you know the content. Once you've completed the past paper make sure to use the mark scheme closely to mark your answers and to see what the examiner wanted you to write in your response.

Another thing I would advise to do is to print out the specification for Biology, Chemistry, and physics. You need to know the content to be able to answer the questions confidently. I stored my specs in a generic folder and just highlighted the topics I knew and didn't know. Anything you're stuck on, means you gotta work a bit harder on. It does get easier though!

Good luck and make sure you get support from your teachers!

Hello! Thank you so much for your advice I really really appreciate it! It means tons and I will definitely try it out! Yeah if I still were to do combined I'll definitely aim for 9-9 or 9-8 since there are fewer subjects and I hope I can get 9-9 (: your reply is very motivating thank you once again!
Reply 13
Original post by Travv
Good luck, I got 5 9s including all 3 sciences at GCSE this year and it’s completely achievable (not without work)!

Most schools in my area said that anyone getting 5 or below did combined foundation, and only people getting 7s or above did triple higher (what you’re wanting to do). Point being that a lot of schools will only let the best students do separate higher tier science because of how high the grade boundaries can be, so you need to be in the top end of your year group. Just work hard for mocks, and when you’ve done better than most of your year go to your head of science and ask to do separate higher!

I got 4 for my end of year exams since I was revising for 2 subjects that I took this year 😭 but I will definitely definitely work hard from next week all the way to the real exams and hopefully I get to triple before otherwise I'll have to aim for 9-9 for combined higher since there are fewer subjects to learn. BTW thanks again for your advice I really appreciate it!

Quick Reply

Latest