Government to suspend Parliament Watch

Poll: Should parliament have been suspended?
No (714)
63.52%
Yes (248)
22.06%
I'm not sure (162)
14.41%
imlikeahermit
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
Because, people will calm down when the reality of the situation dawns on them. No sane person would be angry forever. Time heals all wounds.

My view is that people would rightly be angry. Yes, there may be protests, even some violent ones, but it wont descend to anarchy or civil war, as some people have suggested. After a while, the country would slowly start coming together. There would be an election, where people can relief their angry.

Mr Boris Johnson, if he is still PM, will probably be forced to do a national tour and appease people. Probably low taxes and more money for public services.
I suppose you're right. When people realise they're ****ed, they'll just live with it... Can't wait until the food and medicine shortages... What kind of deluded fairytale world do you live in?
Deyesy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
As someone on Sky news put it: it sets up 'Parliament vs the People'
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
But Parliament wont approve Brexit. There is no point to entertain the folly anymore. It is not undermining Parliament who have publicly done all it can to derail the will of the people.

He can bring the country together after Brexit.
I trust you can see the glaring inconsistencies in that logic right?
Never mind the very simple fact that many MPs are obliged to vote against Brexit, in line with their constituents wishes on the matter.

Ahahaha oh pray tell how? Retainers (and anyone who gives a **** about what was British democracy) aren’t going to forgive this travesty.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Because, people will calm down when the reality of the situation dawns on them. No sane person would be angry forever. Time heals all wounds.

My view is that people would rightly be angry. Yes, there may be protests, even some violent ones, but it wont descend to anarchy or civil war, as some people have suggested. After a while, the country would slowly start coming together. There would be an election, where people can relief their angry.

Mr Boris Johnson, if he is still PM, will probably be forced to do a national tour and appease people. Probably low taxes and more money for public services.
Yeah because him waving at some people or getting stuck on a zip wire is really going to make up for stripping us of our rights?
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by imlikeahermit)
How is he going to bring the country back together? Please explain? I know for a fact that once this all goes tits up, as a fault of everyone in this country that voted for this disaster, I will not be a happy chappy. Explain to me how this is going to work.
Prsom
Deyesy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Never mind the very simple fact that many MPs are obliged to vote against Brexit, in line with their constituents wishes on the matter.

Ahahaha oh pray tell how? Retainers (and anyone who gives a **** about what was British democracy) aren’t going to forgive this travesty.
I mean we don't know if any of those constituencies would now change their mind and with comment I mean going both ways.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Deyesy)
I mean we don't know if any of those constituencies would now change their mind and with comment I mean going both ways.
Well according to brexiteers people are forbidden from changing their minds on this matter.
Either way the idea that some MPs should vote against their constituents simply to put party before country would seem rather an affront to democracy, no?
garcia h
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
the bottom line is Brexit is happening on October 31st deal with it best thing that can happen for this country
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Yeah because him waving at some people or getting stuck on a zip wire is really going to make up for stripping us of our rights?
You are not being stripped of your rights. Don't be alarmist, please.

(Original post by Napp)

But MPs are not voting in line with the constituents. If that was the case, it would have been a better argument. We have MPs going directly against their constituents that they are pushing VoNC on them such as David Gauke and Dom Grieve.
RazzzBerries
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'd support a no-deal, but this was a bad move. Remainers will clearly be upset about it and the Brexiteers should at least hear them out in Parliament rather than chicken out.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Take back control!
Then take it away entirely!
:yay:
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You are not being stripped of your rights. Don't be alarmist, please.
I'm begining to question if you know what you voted for if you dont know this most basic fact of the matter? In just over 2 months we will lose the right to live and work in the EU (to name but one loss) that is by definition a loss of rights so i'm somewhat confused as to how you can attempt to deny that?

But MPs are not voting in line with the constituents. If that was the case, it would have been a better argument. We have MPs going directly against their constituents that they are pushing VoNC on them such as David Gauke and Dom Grieve.
You seem to be trying to create a false equivalence here. the two matters are not even remotely similar - especially as i have yet o hear of a voter ever casting a vote on an MPs opinion on the vonc's.
The fact of the matter is we have countless constituencies which voted remain and they have been betrayed by their, formerly in line MPs, because theyre scared for their jobs and not being able to climb further up the greasy pole. whatever your opinion on brexit it is a shabby degradation of British democracy and shows why few of these cockroaches has any business being in Westminster.
Zoqua
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by MrDystopia)
The Queen will be asked by the government to suspend Parliament days after MPs return to work - and a matter of weeks before the Brexit deadline.

The BBC's political editor, Laura Kuenssberg, says it will make way for Boris Johnson's new administration to hold a Queen's Speech - laying out the government's future plans - on 14 October.

But it means MPs are unlikely to have time to pass any laws that could stop the prime minister taking the UK out of the EU without a deal on 31 October.

A No 10 source said: "It's time a new government and new PM set out a plan for the country after we leave the EU."

The idea of shutting down Parliament - known as prorogation - has caused controversy, with critics saying it would stop MPs being able to play their democratic part in the Brexit process.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49493632

What do you think of this decision? Right move or wrong move?
This is just completely insane.
(Original post by Napp)
Irony abounds in this move, 'take back sovereign control' by undermining parliament in the worst way possible.
Even more amusing given he keeps preaching about 'bringing the country together', not least of all because this move will set in stone the already almost insurmountable differences in the country.
This is a really good point Napp .
(Original post by imlikeahermit)
Utterly deluded.
Precisely.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
I'm begining to question if you know what you voted for if you dont know this most basic fact of the matter? In just over 2 months we will lose the right to live and work in the EU (to name but one loss) that is by definition a loss of rights so i'm somewhat confused as to how you can attempt to deny that?
I would say that's loosing a privileged more than loosing a right. still a loss though
Deyesy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Well according to brexiteers people are forbidden from changing their minds on this matter.
Either way the idea that some MPs should vote against their constituents simply to put party before country would seem rather an affront to democracy, no?
I mean 3 years is a long time and now we have more facts...
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
I would say that's loosing a privileged more than loosing a right. still a loss though
fair although i would point out that the aforementioned are covered under the EU's core 'bill of rights', if you will.
https://ec.europa.eu/info/aid-develo...zens-rights_en

The privileges we will lose are much more varied from legal protection to safety standards. Especially after that prize prat Johnson bends over and receives Trumps todger.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I mean 3 years is a long time and now we have more facts...
And given that near every poll taken puts remain on a win now, that would seem to further reinforce my point?
Deyesy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
And given that near every poll taken puts remain on a win now, that would seem to further reinforce my point?
Hey, I'm a remainer - I'm totally with you. I just wanted to remain impartial :lol:
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey, I'm a remainer - I'm totally with you. I just wanted to remain impartial :lol:
ah fair play there :P
Zoqua
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)

You seem to be trying to create a false equivalence here. the two matters are not even remotely similar - especially as i have yet o hear of a voter ever casting a vote on an MPs opinion on the vonc's.
The fact of the matter is we have countless constituencies which voted remain and they have been betrayed by their, formerly in line MPs, because theyre scared for their jobs and not being able to climb further up the greasy pole. whatever your opinion on brexit it is a shabby degradation of British democracy and shows why few of these cockroaches has any business being in Westminster.
Precisely, it just stuns me really what is going on with our government right now, this makes the last few years look great (that's an achievement). I don't need to read dystopian novels anymore about the government betraying its citizens, falling apart and breaking the country, no, all I need to do now is read the news. I think another good point is that the majority of the people who are pushing a no deal are the ones who will be affected by it the least, and it is us young people (the large majority of leavers where aged over 45) who will be affected by it a lot more. If, when I go to university, I want to study abroad for instance, a few years ago I'd have had a lot of options, but after Brexit.... I think it's just shocking.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (201)
23.96%
Pop (208)
24.79%
Jazz (33)
3.93%
Classical (46)
5.48%
Hip-Hop (162)
19.31%