The Student Room Group

Government to suspend Parliament

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QE2
There is no "will of the people" regarding Brexit.
I also remember saying that in the context of support for Remain, Deal x or No Deal, Remain is the democratic option because Leave support is split between Deal and No Deal. However, this point is probably far too nuanced for you to ever get your head round.

The will of the people seems to be clear. Parties elected on a mandate of respecting the referendum and delivering Brexit in the 2017 election were in a majority, seems like Brexit had a democratic option then.

If Deal/No Deal splits leave that doesn't matter, it would still mean that leave is the democratic option because it has more support than remain. The majority of the electorate doesn't support remain so why is that more of a democratic option than leavue?
Reply 1741
Original post by JazzySax
The will of the people seems to be clear. Parties elected on a mandate of respecting the referendum and delivering Brexit in the 2017 election were in a majority, seems like Brexit had a democratic option then.

Every party's manifesto contained a raft of policies. It is naive and wrong to claim that every vote for Labour, even Tory, was a vote for Brexit, or every vote for LibDem was a vote against it. The last GE cannot be used as a guide to public opinion on Brexit. Likewise with the next one.

If Deal/No Deal splits leave that doesn't matter, it would still mean that leave is the democratic option because it has more support than remain.

While Deal and No Deal are in opposition, they cannot be regarded as the same thing.

The majority of the electorate doesn't support remain so why is that more of a democratic option than leavue?

"Leave" isn't a thing anymore. That train has long since sailed out of the bag. There are people who support a deal like the WA who would rather Remain than Leave with No Deal. Remember that before the referendum, No Deal was ruled out by all the main campaigners. People were promised a deal like Norway, or remaining in the Single Market, or a free trade deal with the EU.
Also, recent polls show a majority in favour of Remain by some margin - which is probably why Leavers are so against any kind of 2nd referendum or confirmatory vote.
Original post by QE2
I have said a great many things. You are referring to one specific thing. I don't know what you are referring to, you do. So it is up to you to support your accusation by explaining it.
Yet again, you demonstrate you inability to understand even the simplest of concepts.

I have no idea what you are on about. You need to be more specific, because I cannot recall ever saying that Remain is the only democratic option because only 35% of the electorate voted Leave.
However, I do remember saying that you cannot claim 35% of the electorate legitimately represents "the will of the people". Because it doesn't. Anyone who claims it does is either dishonest or deluded. There is no "will of the people" regarding Brexit.
I also remember saying that in the context of support for Remain, Deal x or No Deal, Remain is the democratic option because Leave support is split between Deal and No Deal. However, this point is probably far too nuanced for you to ever get your head round.

I agree with you you certainly say many things, many of them contradictory of eachother, the reason you dont have a clue what you said in this very topic. :bird:

Well I was going to go back and copy paste you're own words but ... you managed to contradict yourself in that paragraph :facepalm: Maybe you can explain why @josh95 thinks the young do not wish too remain and why they are a special group? You seem a master of spinning complete dishonest political spin.
Colin... Burton... you will win. God help my tobacco empire!

Quick Reply

Latest