The Student Room Group

Help with clinical psychology route

I’m unsure on what route to take to become a clinical psychologist -please help and is there a fast route
Reply 1
Original post by Rose1379
I’m unsure on what route to take to become a clinical psychologist -please help and is there a fast route

There is no fast route.

First, you need to have a BSc in psychology, which is accredited by the BPS.

You need a doctorate to be a clinical psychologist. A ClinPsyD program is a 3-year course, involving university study and clinical placements. They are extremely competitive, but are funded by the NHS and you are employed as an NHS employee throughout. However, you need a good amount of relevant work experience, preferably (but not necessarily) working alongside psychologists. You can apply for the doctorate after your BSc, but a postgraduate degree could help boost your application.

I did my BSc in Psychology and Counselling with the OU. I am about to start an MSc in Psychological Wellbeing in Clinical Practice. I work as a support worker on a psychiatric intensive care unit with the NHS and also as a crisis worker at a sexual assault referral centre, also with the NHS. I will apply for the ClinPsyD program after completing my MSc.

Hope this all helps!
Hey girl,I am also planning to do BSc psychology in uni next year in the hopes of aiming for a career in clinical psychology. Since you would've had experience in uni, could you please talk me through a little bit about what it's like - like whether it is mainly coursework/was it easy/ what do you do straight after you finish your university course). Hoping to hear from you,thank you :smile:
Original post by Nerol
There is no fast route.

First, you need to have a BSc in psychology, which is accredited by the BPS.

You need a doctorate to be a clinical psychologist. A ClinPsyD program is a 3-year course, involving university study and clinical placements. They are extremely competitive, but are funded by the NHS and you are employed as an NHS employee throughout. However, you need a good amount of relevant work experience, preferably (but not necessarily) working alongside psychologists. You can apply for the doctorate after your BSc, but a postgraduate degree could help boost your application.

I did my BSc in Psychology and Counselling with the OU. I am about to start an MSc in Psychological Wellbeing in Clinical Practice. I work as a support worker on a psychiatric intensive care unit with the NHS and also as a crisis worker at a sexual assault referral centre, also with the NHS. I will apply for the ClinPsyD program after completing my MSc.

Hope this all helps!

Hey girl,I am also planning to do BSc psychology in uni next year in the hopes of aiming for a career in clinical psychology. Since you would've had experience in uni, could you please talk me through a little bit about what it's like - like whether it is mainly coursework/was it easy/ what do you do straight after you finish your university course). Hoping to hear from you,thank you
hi! I'm currently in year 11 and I would also like to be a clinical psychologist. I know this is probably a stupid question but can you do your BSc, MSc AND your PsyD or do you have to pick and choose? I also wondered which unis offer all of these courses because so far I can't find many that offer a PsyD, they normally only offer a PhD course. thanks!
Original post by gracieroseb
hi! I'm currently in year 11 and I would also like to be a clinical psychologist. I know this is probably a stupid question but can you do your BSc, MSc AND your PsyD or do you have to pick and choose? I also wondered which unis offer all of these courses because so far I can't find many that offer a PsyD, they normally only offer a PhD course. thanks!

- you do at least BSc and DClinPsych, masters is optional
- PhD and DClinPsych are different, and PsyD I believe is the term for USA courses not UK
- you can do all three degrees at the same place or all different. Some offer alumni discounts at postgrad level
Original post by Noodlzzz
- you do at least BSc and DClinPsych, masters is optional
- PhD and DClinPsych are different, and PsyD I believe is the term for USA courses not UK
- you can do all three degrees at the same place or all different. Some offer alumni discounts at postgrad level

thank you so much, that honestly makes this so much easier lol, i'm just trying to get a head start since its so competitive.
Original post by gracieroseb
thank you so much, that honestly makes this so much easier lol, i'm just trying to get a head start since its so competitive.

Where DClinPsych used by that poster is an umbrella term for clinical doctorate at different unis that have slightly different names such as DClinPsy, DClinPsychol and ClinPsyD. DClinPsy is the most common postnominals in actual fact. Check BPS for accredited courses. PsychD without the clin in front is used in the UK, but is for some counselling psychology doctorates.
Reply 8
Original post by AleenaBiju
Hey girl,I am also planning to do BSc psychology in uni next year in the hopes of aiming for a career in clinical psychology. Since you would've had experience in uni, could you please talk me through a little bit about what it's like - like whether it is mainly coursework/was it easy/ what do you do straight after you finish your university course). Hoping to hear from you,thank you

Hi! Sorry, I haven't been on here for a while!

I studied my BSc with the OU, so it might be quite different to your standard university experience.

It involved studying a lot of different theories, approaches and topics (e.g. behavioural approaches, attachment theory, memory, perception, social development etc.). It also involved learning about different methods of data collection and analysis, including things like surveys, experiments, interviews, running statistical tests using SPSS software and thematic analyses.

My course mostly involved coursework assignments - essays, presentations, posters, reports and so on. I did have one exam - there may be more in other universities, I assume!

I found it very interesting. I wouldn't say it was easy, it was challenging, but I loved the course, so I enjoyed studying for it. Statistical analysis was my biggest weakness, but there's always support available.

I graduated this year and am now doing an MSc in Psychological Wellbeing in Clinical Practice at Manchester Met, alongside a full-time job on a secure psychiatric ward.

I hope you enjoy your BSc! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Loren
Original post by Nerol
Hi! Sorry, I haven't been on here for a while!

I studied my BSc with the OU, so it might be quite different to your standard university experience.

It involved studying a lot of different theories, approaches and topics (e.g. behavioural approaches, attachment theory, memory, perception, social development etc.). It also involved learning about different methods of data collection and analysis, including things like surveys, experiments, interviews, running statistical tests using SPSS software and thematic analyses.

My course mostly involved coursework assignments - essays, presentations, posters, reports and so on. I did have one exam - there may be more in other universities, I assume!

I found it very interesting. I wouldn't say it was easy, it was challenging, but I loved the course, so I enjoyed studying for it. Statistical analysis was my biggest weakness, but there's always support available.

I graduated this year and am now doing an MSc in Psychological Wellbeing in Clinical Practice at Manchester Met, alongside a full-time job on a secure psychiatric ward.

I hope you enjoy your BSc! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Loren

Hey Gurl,
thank you so much this has encouraged me to pursue the course aha yhh I defo think the maths side will be my downfall but imma still try very hard and is it true that you need to have a lot of like work experience or like be present in like clinical settings and things to become a clinical psychologist whilst you’re studying xx
thanks a lot
aleena
Reply 10
Hey Gurl,
thank you so much this has encouraged me to pursue the course aha yhh I defo think the maths side will be my downfall but imma still try very hard and is it true that you need to have a lot of like work experience or like be present in like clinical settings and things to become a clinical psychologist whilst you’re studying xx
thanks a lot
aleena

Yes, to get onto a doctorate program you will need quite a bit of experience. Support work in mental health is a good start, which is what I do. Ideally, you need experience working alongside psychologists (eg. Assistant Psychologist role), but these jobs are SO competitive! That's what I'm struggling with at the minute. I'll keep on trying, though!
Original post by Nerol
Yes, to get onto a doctorate program you will need quite a bit of experience. Support work in mental health is a good start, which is what I do. Ideally, you need experience working alongside psychologists (eg. Assistant Psychologist role), but these jobs are SO competitive! That's what I'm struggling with at the minute. I'll keep on trying, though!

Yes sister I have faith in you aha u can defo do it xx and sorry to keep bothering you but when is it ideal to start the work experience and everything just to have a rough idea like would you start it whilst in uni like at the start or after your done etc
Thank you,
Aleena
Reply 12
Yes sister I have faith in you aha u can defo do it xx and sorry to keep bothering you but when is it ideal to start the work experience and everything just to have a rough idea like would you start it whilst in uni like at the start or after your done etc
Thank you,
Aleena

The more experience you have, the better! So start as soon as you can! Many places will look specifically for experience after uni as well, though, and specifically for paid experience in a relevant role. I was working as an English teacher abroad while I did my BSc and only started support work in my final year. I had some relevant voluntary experience before that as well, though. It is such a competitive field, gaining all the experience you can is key.

Quick Reply

Latest