The Student Room Group

English language

(edited 4 years ago)
Why can't you do Lit? Surely it's your choice and not the school's?
Original post by treth
Despite wishing to study English literature at college and achieving a grade 8 at gcse I was told by my college to study English language instead because it is more relevant to my other chosen subjects.However I have looked at the English language specification (AQA) and it seems as though it is incredibly challenging and repetitive. i was wondering if anyone can give me more information on what the course is actually like.

I studied both at A Level, Language is hell. The best advice I can give for anyone wanting to do Language is not to.
Original post by ProbablyPallas
I studied both at A Level, Language is hell. The best advice I can give for anyone wanting to do Language is not to.

Why, what was wrong with language? Also what are the differences between the two and what do u study in each
Reply 4

i'm just worried that literature could be to much work because i'm studying law and media as well however i have more interest in literature than i do language
Original post by jackrey_nolds
Why, what was wrong with language? Also what are the differences between the two and what do u study in each

You can view the specification online, depending on your exam board and the route your school goes with for Literature (For example, my sixth form did English Literature B AA). Language is completely different at GCSE, so I wouldn't just do it if you did well at GCSE. I received an A*/9 at GCSE, yet only got a B at A Level. The timings for the papers are incredibly gruelling, writing a full 4 paragraph essay in depth within 12 minutes, and the content is immense. I don't doubt that if I only did 3 A Levels I'd have done better, however I was the only person doing 4 in my class and I received the highest grade, so make of that what you will. Paper 2 and the child language section was a pleasure to learn and I actually found Paper 2 quite fun, however questions 1,2, and 3 in Paper 1 completely ruined the course for me, as did the timings of the exams.
Original post by treth
i'm just worried that literature could be to much work because i'm studying law and media as well however i have more interest in literature than i do language

I would argue that if you're interested in Literature, it won't feel like work. Absolutely do not do Language if you don't have any interest in it. I studied 4 A Levels, including Literature and Media, and Language would've been the first I'd have dropped if I was less stubborn.
Reply 7
Original post by RazzzBerries
Why can't you do Lit? Surely it's your choice and not the school's?

apparently English language is more reverent when studying law and media and because law is a hard a level they probably think it will be too much stress. its just so annoying because i worked so hard for my gcse grades and the only subjects iv'e got below a 7 in are German maths and physics which don't have anything to do with the courses i want to study
Original post by treth
apparently English language is more reverent when studying law and media and because law is a hard a level they probably think it will be too much stress. its just so annoying because i worked so hard for my gcse grades and the only subjects iv'e got below a 7 in are German maths and physics which don't have anything to do with the courses i want to study

Not necessarily. Both Lang and Lit are around the same level.

I say go for what YOU want. :yes:
Contrary to this thread, I really enjoyed Langauge A-level and came out with an A!
I did both lit and lang at A-level, and though I do not have much time to go in depth now, you are more than welcome to message me with any questions :hugs:
Reply 10
I would argue that if you're interested in Literature, it won't feel like work. Absolutely do not do Language if you don't have any interest in it. I studied 4 A Levels, including Literature and Media, and Language would've been the first I'd have dropped if I was less stubborn.

what was the other subject you studied just out of interest. i also feel like the teachers that i spoke to were being quite judgemental of me because i probably don't look particularly studious
Original post by treth
what was the other subject you studied just out of interest. i also feel like the teachers that i spoke to were being quite judgemental of me because i probably don't look particularly studious

They don't really have a say in what you choose, it's your choice and nobody else's. Even though Literature is seen as a 'hard' A Level, I just struggled at Language more because of the flaws in the course and the exams, whereas Literature I believe was left fairly open for student enjoyment. I took English Literature, English Language, Media, and Photography, and completed an EPQ in Music, along with Sports Leaders and BSL Level 1.

Quick Reply

Latest