The Student Room Group

Help!!! Alevel subject choice!!!!!! Pls help

So a lot of my friends told me that you need at least 2 facilitating subjects at A-Level. I'll be taking 3 subjects for A-Level and I need help with the better choice

Gonna be applying for an Accounting/Finance Degree at uni if everything goes right. Here's some options

1. Mathematics, Accounting and Geography (Math/Geo are facilitating and I'm taking Acc cuz I got an A* in GCSE and I know I can get an A* in ALevel)

2. Mathematics, Accounting and Economics (this one im unsure of cuz i read that eco isnt a facilitating subject)

3. any other subject that i can take with maths + acc (please do recommend me)

pls help i desperately need help : (
Reply 1
You don't need to do 2 facilitating subjects, you need to do 2 subjects that are classed as fairly hard and academic (ie. not sociology etc.). If you are doing accounting and finance, maths and economics are the most relevant. Geography would work too though so just choose what you're best at.
Original post by anaveragetoad
So a lot of my friends told me that you need at least 2 facilitating subjects at A-Level. I'll be taking 3 subjects for A-Level and I need help with the better choice

Gonna be applying for an Accounting/Finance Degree at uni if everything goes right. Here's some options

1. Mathematics, Accounting and Geography (Math/Geo are facilitating and I'm taking Acc cuz I got an A* in GCSE and I know I can get an A* in ALevel)

2. Mathematics, Accounting and Economics (this one im unsure of cuz i read that eco isnt a facilitating subject)

3. any other subject that i can take with maths + acc (please do recommend me)

pls help i desperately need help : (

I would recommend the first choice of subjects, maybe as I'm biased and took both maths and geography. However, inevitably it's what subjects you're going to be most happy with that you should choose. Taking geography would give you something slightly different to a mathematical subject; I learnt how to write essays and articulate an argument through geography which I'm glad about.
helpppppppppp
helpppppppppp

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Original post by rose236
You don't need to do 2 facilitating subjects, you need to do 2 subjects that are classed as fairly hard and academic (ie. not sociology etc.). If you are doing accounting and finance, maths and economics are the most relevant. Geography would work too though so just choose what you're best at.

thank you!!!!
Original post by MathsMeme
I would recommend the first choice of subjects, maybe as I'm biased and took both maths and geography. However, inevitably it's what subjects you're going to be most happy with that you should choose. Taking geography would give you something slightly different to a mathematical subject; I learnt how to write essays and articulate an argument through geography which I'm glad about.

well economics is an essay based subject too!

how hard is a level geography??? i want to get an A* so just asking

Ahh, I wasn't aware that economics was.

Geography is a difficult one to say whether it is hard or not. In some ways, yes it is as I found that there was a large amount of content and questions were sometimes hard to break down. However, I found that over the two years, the content isn't difficult but just a lot. Likewise, once you learn how to answer each style of question, you can guarantee yourself a decent amount of marks. Lastly, the coursework aspect allows you to secure a good amount of marks towards your a level. Plus I just found case studies pretty fascinating.
I would choose the first set of subjects, Maths Accounting and Economics as it would give you a well rounded set of skills. Universities love this and it will also help you as a person.
Reply 9

Every subject is hard if you want an A*. And stop stressing about "facilitating subjects". If a subject is required for a course they'll say so. If they don't, it isn't.
Accounting as an A-level is never going to be needed and chances are they'd teach you the stuff that's in the A-level during your course anyway, so you wouldn't be missing out by not taking it.
Obviously maths is going to be important, but bear in mind that whatever you're picking, you have to like it enough to study it for two years. Don't just pick subjects for your degree.

Quick Reply

Latest