Cold vs Hot showers for good hair

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,
I have been taking cold showers for over a month now (perhaps 2) and recently have also been washing my hair in cold water too, even though as someone who has very long hair it means I have to stand under the cold running water for quite a bit.

I have noticed that my hair looks more shiny now than it did before. Have others who take cold showers noticed any benefits to the appearance of their hair? I am confused because some say hot showers are better for hair because the steam is good for your hair or something.
Anonymous #1
Tagging one person who I know takes them, sorry for always bothering you lmao JoshDarnIt
randomsheep11
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm a male, but of course I still have hair. Since taking cold showers, my hair has a nicer shine to it and it looks "glossier", in a good way. My hair also feels softer too, and it falls out less (I'm not balding but you know when a hair just falls out).

I used to have really hot showers, but I think it just dried my hair and scalp out loads. Let's see if I'm brave enough to continue having cold showers during winter. :3
Anonymous #1
(Original post by randomsheep11)
I used to have really hot showers, but I think it just dried my hair and scalp out loads. Let's see if I'm brave enough to continue having cold showers during winter. :3
Good to know having them is improving your hair. Obviously I do think these things effect different people differently but it is always nice to hear about positive results from people rather than just reading an article that says "COLD IS GOLD".
Same, I am actually not looking forward to winter because I don't know whether I will be able to continue taking them. Do you get the weird ache in your ears if you take a cold shower on a cold day or go for a jog when it is cold?
randomsheep11
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Tbh I haven't tried either so I can't be sure. But cold showers are also great for your skin too, so even if I get those aches I will try to persist with the cold showers.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by randomsheep11)
Tbh I haven't tried either so I can't be sure. But cold showers are also great for your skin too, so even if I get those aches I will try to persist with the cold showers.
True. My friends the other day was like "why is your skin so clear?". I think my skin is defo getting better.
Okay, good luck! Lol we should make an official "winter cold showers challenge" thread on tsr XD
mxo.
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I still use hot water but I use cold water at the end of my showers for conditioner + washing my face - I’ve done this for a few years now and I’ve noticed faster hair growth, better skin and overall a healthier look on my hair. Maybe this would be more effective if I took cold showers entirely, but I prefer to just use it at the end of them
Anonymous #1
(Original post by myraxo)
I still use hot water but I use cold water at the end of my showers for conditioner + washing my face - I’ve done this for a few years now and I’ve noticed faster hair growth, better skin and overall a healthier look on my hair. Maybe this would be more effective if I took cold showers entirely, but I prefer to just use it at the end of them
Thanks! I am getting more and more convinced that I should keep taking them.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by myraxo)
When you take them in the winter, do your ears ache afterwards?
username2861570
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's cool dw :cute:
username2861570
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah I've been taking cold showers for a long time now and my hair has become thicker and just looks overall better. Like it looks and feels healthier ygm.

Don't overdo it tho, as in don't blast ice cold water onto your head for too long or you'll get brain freeze lol.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by JoshDarnIt)
Don't overdo it tho, as in don't blast ice cold water onto your head for too long or you'll get brain freeze lol.
Yeah, no I only try and take them twice a day MAX. Its cause I have so much hair that I would need to keep my head under the shower for minimum 10 min. I am also interested to know if you get weird ache in your ears after the shower. Do you? How do you relieve the ache afterwards? cheers
Bandanadude
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I used to wash conditioner out of my hair with cold water and I think my hair loved it.
username2861570
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nope the ache is not something I experience. Maybe's you have it too cold and it's causing said ache?
Anonymous #1
Nope the ache is not something I experience. Maybe's you have it too cold and it's causing said ache?
I only use cold water. Don't you?
I will go research on the web. Thanks tho!!!
mxo.
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No, I’ve personally never had that, but I guess each person is different
username2861570
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ice cold? Or just cold? I go ice cold then if it causes brain freeze I put it to cold.
Anonymous #1
Ice cold? Or just cold? I go ice cold then if it causes brain freeze I put it to cold.
I don't know what kind of shower you have. But we have a very simple one in the house. Cold tap. Hot tap. Or mix them. I only use cold tap. The water that come out of the 'tank' is always cold, not freezing cold but cold.
I am just being annoying now. It's alright, I will just use semi-cold water on my hair.
Thanks x
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
On a scale of 1-10, where 10 = scorching and 1 = freezing, I have my shower set to around a 3 for the past few months.

My hair is softer and doesn't get greasy as far
the skin on my cheeks is less red and I haven't had any spots in a while
The eczema on my legs has entirely cleared up. It does tend to be worse in winter so I'll have to see if continuing with the cold showers helps when it's winter.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.09%
I'm not sure (59)
4.49%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (387)
29.47%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.82%
I'm not a current university student (645)
49.12%

Watched Threads