Opinions on sociology a level?

Watch this thread
rockyball89
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm not sure what it's about can someone explain it to me & whether its boring or not..

Thanks in advance
Advertisement
xDron3
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
It can be an interesting subject from my friends that did it at A-Level and University, but with it's popular demand along with psychology there's not much use for it in your future career life unless you drop on lucky.
Josh5718
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I study Sociology and about to start Year 13. I don’t really like it. I find it boring in the sense that there’s A LOT of content to learn, however it does help you write more critically which would benefit if you’re doing essay based subjects, and it especially compliments A Level Psychology. It’s one of the ‘easier’ A Levels. Not meaning it’s just an easy subject, but with key revision techniques you can learn the whole textbook (or gist of it) and recite it in the exam. As long as it gets you to the degree you want to study at University, and you think you could do well at it, you’ll be completely fine. I never wanted to do it after hating GCSE Sociology, but upon reflection I’m glad i took it because I’m able to learn all the content and minimum get a B (though a lot of that is because I’ve always been good at essays).
Advertisement
rockyball89
Rep:
(Original post by Josh5718)
I study Sociology and about to start Year 13. I don’t really like it. I find it boring in the sense that there’s A LOT of content to learn, however it does help you write more critically which would benefit if you’re doing essay based subjects, and it especially compliments A Level Psychology. It’s one of the ‘easier’ A Levels. Not meaning it’s just an easy subject, but with key revision techniques you can learn the whole textbook (or gist of it) and recite it in the exam. As long as it gets you to the degree you want to study at University, and you think you could do well at it, you’ll be completely fine. I never wanted to do it after hating GCSE Sociology, but upon reflection I’m glad i took it because I’m able to learn all the content and minimum get a B (though a lot of that is because I’ve always been good at essays).
What is sociology about? Also, Is sociology like history - like you have to learn dates and regurgitate them in the exam. In my GCSE I got an 8 in history & R.E so essay subjects are my strongest. I don't know whether I should take a science as I got 7-6. I wanna do history, business studies, but I don't know whether to choose biology or sociology. Is sociology really boring? & how are the exams
username4889668
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
IMO, easy and interesting. Best combo
Advertisement
rockyball89
Rep:
(Original post by Aaryra)
IMO, easy and interesting. Best combo
Did you do it? what exactly is about? & do you just regurgitate facts?
username4889668
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rockyball89)
Did you do it? what exactly is about? & do you just regurgitate facts?
Did it in a year in Year 13 cause I hated my third subject.

You have five main chapters - Education (learning about inequalities in the system), crime (same thing), family and households (same thing), religion (how it plays a role in society) and theories and methods (eg research methods)

Tbf it’s not just regurgitating facts. There are a lot of essays and you do have to structure it really well (they seem to be picky on that) and always try to find modern examples.

It is genuinely quite easy imo. I think it’s just slightly harder to achieve an A* but it should be fine to get a B in at least.
Advertisement
Josh5718
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
What is sociology about? Also, Is sociology like history - like you have to learn dates and regurgitate them in the exam. In my GCSE I got an 8 in history & R.E so essay subjects are my strongest. I don't know whether I should take a science as I got 7-6. I wanna do history, business studies, but I don't know whether to choose biology or sociology. Is sociology really boring? & how are the exams
Well done your gcses! You don’t have to learn dates but you do need to learn names of important studies and theorists. It’s not hard to remember them. I’d advise you to take sociology instead of biology if your essay based subjects are your strongest. They will compliment each other very well. The exams are in our favour, in paper 1 you do (if I recall correctly), 2 mark Q, 4 mark Q, 6 mark Q, 10 mark Q and a 20 mark Q. In paper 2 it’s similar but instead of the 6 and 10 marker you do a 16 marker. It’s designed to be a mark per 1.5m (I think) or maybe every 1m, either way in my own experience the time frame leaves me a whole 30 mins for my 20 marker which is extremely useful. People usually begin at the 20 marker and work there way down. I’d honestly say go for it, it’s a lot easier than biology and (suspecting that you’re going into a career in humanities or something along those lines because of your options) would work better with your subjects.
rockyball89
Rep:
(Original post by Josh5718)
Well done your gcses! You don’t have to learn dates but you do need to learn names of important studies and theorists. It’s not hard to remember them. I’d advise you to take sociology instead of biology if your essay based subjects are your strongest. They will compliment each other very well. The exams are in our favour, in paper 1 you do (if I recall correctly), 2 mark Q, 4 mark Q, 6 mark Q, 10 mark Q and a 20 mark Q. In paper 2 it’s similar but instead of the 6 and 10 marker you do a 16 marker. It’s designed to be a mark per 1.5m (I think) or maybe every 1m, either way in my own experience the time frame leaves me a whole 30 mins for my 20 marker which is extremely useful. People usually begin at the 20 marker and work there way down. I’d honestly say go for it, it’s a lot easier than biology and (suspecting that you’re going into a career in humanities or something along those lines because of your options) would work better with your subjects.
Yeah I will definitely do it, It seems like Essays are my thing as I managed to get an 8 in R.E & History & a 7 in literature so I would definitely do it. I'm going to change them today. Thanks so much for the support & informing me it seems like something I would enjoy. I've heard that sociology is like business studies in the sense that you need to remember studies and analyse stuff and be very evaluative and the same skills apply to history so Yeah I would do it. Thanks so much I'm so appreciated for you aiding me.
Advertisement
xS1m
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I'm not sure what it's about can someone explain it to me & whether its boring or not..

Thanks in advance
In terms of difficulty yes, its pretty easy but don't be fooled by others saying its an "easy pass". There is a hell of a lot to memorise, especially if you aren't doing As. You have to memorise theorists names and theories (a lot easier said than done), the names of specific acts by the parliament (dates would also help since it shows you know your stuff) and so much more.

In my experience, those who find it easy to memorise usually find it harder to apply it to essays and vice versa.

It is an interesting subject, just has some parts which can be really tedious - then again, this goes with all A-Level subjects - you most likely won't find a "perfect" subject, they all have their pros and cons. I find the most boring part to be research methods, but if you do Psychology too this should be easier.
username4889668
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by xS1m)
In terms of difficulty yes, its pretty easy but don't be fooled by others saying its an "easy pass". There is a hell of a lot to memorise, especially if you aren't doing As. You have to memorise theorists names and theories (a lot easier said than done), the names of specific acts by the parliament (dates would also help since it shows you know your stuff) and so much more.

In my experience, those who find it easy to memorise usually find it harder to apply it to essays and vice versa.

It is an interesting subject, just has some parts which can be really tedious - then again, this goes with all A-Level subjects - you most likely won't find a "perfect" subject, they all have their pros and cons. I find the most boring part to be research methods, but if you do Psychology too this should be easier.
I disagree. I think sociology can be an easy pass, it’s just harder to access the A/A*.

Of course some people get cocky and end up memorizing only and when they turn up in the exam they have no idea how to apply the knowledge they learn. But imo it’s not hard to pass, some people just get arrogant.
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (34)
26.56%
As I expected (44)
34.38%
Harder (43)
33.59%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
5.47%

Watched Threads