Boris Johnson asks Queen to suspend Parliament Watch

SMEGGGY
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Opposition parties are appalled. Unconstitutional they say, Lib Dem say deceleration of war, Undemocratic? Preventin Parliament to stop a No Deal Brexit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49493632
RazzzBerries
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Moved to UK Politics
ThomH97
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Wouldn't have been an issue if all MPs had bothered to sort this out years ago. And given the proposed suspension doesn't start until the 10th of September, why can't they do stuff now? Oh, that's right, they're off on holiday having simply downed tools a month ago.
Last edited by ThomH97; 4 months ago
Will79
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Boris has 100% done the correct thing he is delivering what the British people voted for whether it’s deal or no deal and like he says if he can’t get a deal then he will fall back to no deal to leave by 31st October and he does right all the people trying to stop it are pathetic and need to get a grip this country was 10 times better when we wasn’t in the EU so why can’t we just go back to been Britain and having our rights and values go boris about time
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Nish Kumar:

A wealthy man, who became the most powerful person in the country by winning the votes of 140,000 people, will ask a woman in a gold hat to shut down parliament in yet another normal day in British democracy
SMEGGGY
Rep:
?
(Original post by BlueIndigoViolet)
Nish Kumar:

A wealthy man, who became the most powerful person in the country by winning the votes of 140,000 people, will ask a woman in a gold hat to shut down parliament in yet another normal day in British democracy
He's not familiar with the UK system eh
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by SMEGGGY)
He's not familiar with the UK system eh
Born in London lol - just stated the facts of the current situation, will get shot down by the courts
SMEGGGY
Rep:
?
(Original post by BlueIndigoViolet)
Born in London lol - just stated the facts of the current situation, will get shot down by the courts
Governments do this all the time. It's required or nothing is happening. Rrexit must be delivered no matter what May was selfish, kept saying will leave etc etc but failed.

A general election is very very likely now, I fear the electorate are fed up and will vote in Labour in frustration and that will definitely ruin the UK with Jezza as PM he's full of old Stalinesque ideas. God Forbid.

Labour near bankrupted the UK in their last reign. No we must avoid them getting in at any cost. We've prospered under Conservatives, they'll take us back. Be it civil war 😡
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by SMEGGGY)
Governments do this all the time. It's required or nothing is happening. Rrexit must be delivered no matter what May was selfish, kept saying will leave etc etc but failed.

A general election is very very likely now, I fear the electorate are fed up and will vote in Labour in frustration and that will definitely ruin the UK with Jezza as PM he's full of old Stalinesque ideas. God Forbid.

Labour near bankrupted the UK in their last reign. No we must avoid them getting in at any cost. We've prospered under Conservatives, they'll take us back. Be it civil war 😡
Very well then

artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
An unelected prime minister is going to ask an unelected monarch to suspend the democratically elected, sovereign parliament, to push through a no-deal Brexit which has no mandate.

🙃
SMEGGGY
Rep:
?
🎺 👑 🃏 Her Royal Highness Majesty the Queen has signed the order!! Gaawd bless her Majesty 🎺
👑 🃏
generallee
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
An unelected prime minister is going to ask an unelected monarch to suspend the democratically elected, sovereign parliament, to push through a no-deal Brexit which has no mandate.

🙃
No, it was a clever ploy to provoke utterly absurd and over the top faux Remainer outrage and over reaction, and to so irritate and annoy the decent silent majority in this country, that once an election was called, they would elect Boris with a stonking majority to get the whole mess sorted out.

And then a democratically elected, sovereign parliament and Prime Minister could push through a Brexit deal with a clear mandate.

Do you see what was going on, now?
SnowMiku
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by generallee)
No, it was a clever ploy to provoke utterly absurd and over the top faux Remainer outrage and over reaction, and to so irritate and annoy the decent silent majority in this country, that once an election was called, they would elect Boris with a stonking majority to get the whole mess sorted out.

And then a democratically elected, sovereign parliament and Prime Minister could push through a Brexit deal with a clear mandate.

Do you see what was going on, now?
Surely the silent majority is people who don't vote, or can't vote?
generallee
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SnowMiku)
Surely the silent majority is people who don't vote, or can't vote?
No it is the ones who don't speak.

They aren't Guardian, or BBC or Times journalists. They don't virtue signal on Twitter, or TSR. They don't resign their seats without calling a by election and cross the floor (they do kick this unprincipled, egotistical rabble out of parliament the first chance they get, though). They aren't senior civil servants who brief supposedly secret government contingency plans and negotiating positions to the media. The aren't Chief Justices of the Supreme Court who make speeches saying how much they despise Boris for calling them "girly swots," They aren't politicians like Keir Starmer and Jo Swinson who either say they will honour the referendum, or say they won't having called for it in the first place.

No, they are silent of speech. But they decided the outcome. They spoke in the best way possible. By putting a cross on the ballot paper. Democracy in action.

Their good sense makes me proud to be British. The Remainers didn't speak for Britain, however loud they shouted in their hissy fit at being defeated. The people did.

And it is marvellous.
SnowMiku
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No it is the ones who don't speak.

They aren't Guardian, or BBC or Times journalists. They don't virtue signal on Twitter, or TSR. They don't resign their seats without calling a by election and cross the floor (they do kick this unprincipled, egotistical rabble out of parliament the first chance they get, though). They aren't senior civil servants who brief supposedly secret government contingency plans and negotiating positions to the media. The aren't Chief Justices of the Supreme Court who make speeches saying how much they despise Boris for calling them "girly swots," They aren't politicians like Keir Starmer and Jo Swinson who either say they will honour the referendum, or say they won't having called for it in the first place.

No, they are silent of speech. But they decided the outcome. They spoke in the best way possible. By putting a cross on the ballot paper. Democracy in action.

Their good sense makes me proud to be British. The Remainers didn't speak for Britain, however loud they shouted in their hissy fit at being defeated. The people did.

And it is marvellous.
Voting doesn't make someone silent of speech. That implies they have a voice in how the country is run via that vote.
generallee
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SnowMiku)
Voting doesn't make someone silent of speech. That implies they have a voice in how the country is run via that vote.
Yes.

I think we are talking at cross purposes here. And parsing the meaning of the word silence. My contention is that the term "silent majority" as popularised by Richard Nixon, is of those VOTERS who do not express themselves publicly, in the national conversation..

I agree that they speak in other ways. Indeed that was my very point.
SnowMiku
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes.

I think we are talking at cross purposes here. And parsing the meaning of the word silence. My contention is that the term "silent majority" as popularised by Richard Nixon, is of those VOTERS who do not express themselves publicly, in the national conversation..

I agree that they speak in other ways. Indeed that was my very point.
Ah, ok.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (19)
23.17%
My career doesn't need one (11)
13.41%
I'm sick of studying (14)
17.07%
I can't find a course I want to do (3)
3.66%
I don't know enough about them (9)
10.98%