Can I apply to medicine with achieved grades of AAB

Watch this thread
aish5533
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
See above
Last edited by aish5533; 2 years ago
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by aish5533)
Last year I really wanted to apply to medicine for 2019 entry but my college tutor didn’t let me even though I had predicted grades of AAA as she thought my biology predicted grade was unrealistic. She didn’t believe that I would get an A due to my previous test scores in biology. I did the UKCAT and got 2500. Instead I was forced to apply for optometry and in the end I achieved AAB ( the A’s were in chemistry and biology and the B in maths). I’m considering taking a gap year as I have always had my heart set on doing medicine and I don’t feel like doing a course that I’m not 100% happy with. What would would the chances be of me getting an offer with AAB or would I have to resist the maths during my gap year. Also I didn’t use my UKCAT last year as I wasn’t allowed to apply so is it still valid if I apply this year or would I have to do it again. Sorry for the long paragraph I’m just really desperate and unsure if I should just start optometry this year and then do medicine after or whether I should take a gap year. I don’t want to regret taking the gap year and be in the same position next year as well....
You can apply, but if you applied to med schools with a standard offer of AAA / A*AA then you'll just get rejected.

There are some med schools with lower offers (Buckingham AAB? I think HYMS's offer is AAB if you did an EPQ, got an A* and firm HYMS) but generally speaking most are at least AAA.

You are advised to retake your grade B and then reapply, there are 18 med schools accepting A-level retakes. You'll also have to take your UCAT again this year - you can't use your 2018 results for 2020 entry unless you applied last year for deferred entry (which you didn't).
MezmorisedPotato
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I would suggest you retake Maths and reapply since almost all medical schools have standard offers of AAA apart from a few. A lot of medical schools now accept retakes too so you won't be put at a huge disadvantage if you choose do resit Maths.

You'd also have to do the UCAT again if you are applying again this year too since it's only valid for the application cycle you did it in.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

What is missing from the school curriculum?

Basic life skills (eg. cooking) (18)
28.57%
Financial skills (eg. taxes, budgeting) (31)
49.21%
First aid skills (3)
4.76%
Personal safety skills (1)
1.59%
Sign language (8)
12.7%
Expanded sexual health/relationships (1)
1.59%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.59%

Watched Threads