olliekinderbarr
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi, i’m already doing maths chemistry and biology for A Level, and i was wondering to do either PE or Physics.
Phsyics i know is hard but is valued much greater than PE is. However, i enjoyed GCSE PE a lot more. What should i do?
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by olliekinderbarr)
Hi, i’m already doing maths chemistry and biology for A Level, and i was wondering to do either PE or Physics.
Phsyics i know is hard but is valued much greater than PE is. However, i enjoyed GCSE PE a lot more. What should i do?
What do you plan to study? Physics is key for many subjects in Engineering.
olliekinderbarr
Rep:
?
I’m not too sure, medicine is one of my option, i don’t look too much towards engineering but aviation is one option, but a lot of the time that requires GCSE in maths and physics and the money to send through training😂😂
Last edited by olliekinderbarr; 7 months ago
olliekinderbarr
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wired_1800)
Engineering doesn’t really look like an option, but it does open more fields than PE does
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Engineering doesn’t really look like an option, but it does open more fields than PE does
Yes it does.
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
There are very few engineering courses that accept physics without maths - in fact many more just require maths and a science subject, which may be physics, than that accept physics and not maths.

It depends on what you want to go on to do. Bear in mind at least historically some universities/courses have discouraged the combination of PE and biology due to overlapping content (this may specifically be an issue for medicine, so if that is your goal I would recommend you carefully investigate the requirements of medical schools you wish to apply to).

I would note though, only one medical school requires 3 STEM subjects at A-level (Cambridge). Generally otherwise any third subject is fine, but sometimes overlapping subjects (such as maths and FM) are only acceptable as part of a combination of 4 subjects.
Alevelz2018_2020
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I do the complete opposite subjects 😂 im an essay person and plan to do Law at uni, but from what you're doing, physics goes so well with your subjects. Although, be prepared to know that youre school might ask you to drop one subject in yr13.

I would say choose physics but you really need to put sooo much work in, but it's up to you to decide. Good luck!
Bee Muza
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
If you are seeking to do engineering then go ahead. And bare in mind that A level is harder so the fact that you enjoyed one at GCSE stage might not be the same case at a level
olliekinderbarr
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
It depends on what you want to go on to do. Bear in mind at least historically some universities/courses have discouraged the combination of PE and biology due to overlapping content (this may specifically be an issue for medicine, so if that is your goal I would recommend you carefully investigate the requirements of medical schools you wish to apply to).

I would note though, only one medical school requires 3 STEM subjects at A-level (Cambridge). Generally otherwise any third subject is fine, but sometimes overlapping subjects (such as maths and FM) are only acceptable as part of a combination of 4 subjects.
Thanks for that, and if i did take PE i would probably drop jt at the end of y12 and then get 3 A Levels in Chemistry, Biology and Maths
olliekinderbarr
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bee Muza)
If you are seeking to do engineering then go ahead. And bare in mind that A level is harder so the fact that you enjoyed one at GCSE stage might not be the same case at a level
Yes, i had a taster lesson today and it wasn’t as good as GCSE, and the topics i enjoyed at GCSE won’t be covered until y13
GreenCub
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Physics is also key to study physics at university

A-level PE isn't particularly highly regarded, but if you don't enjoy physics enough to want to study it at A-level you shouldn't just pick it because it's highly valued. Your other 3 subjects (maths, chemistry and biology) keep plenty of options open and would definitely be a suitable fit for medicine. Your fourth subject shouldn't matter that much.
olliekinderbarr
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alevelz2018_2020)
I do the complete opposite subjects 😂 im an essay person and plan to do Law at uni, but from what you're doing, physics goes so well with your subjects. Although, be prepared to know that youre school might ask you to drop one subject in yr13.

I would say choose physics but you really need to put sooo much work in, but it's up to you to decide. Good luck!
Thank you, and good luck to you, and i hate any subject in which i need to write an essay😂😂
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Thanks for that, and if i did take PE i would probably drop jt at the end of y12 and then get 3 A Levels in Chemistry, Biology and Maths
Oh sorry I missed where you said you were taking maths. In that case take whatever you enjoy, an AS level probably won't even form part of an offer
Bee Muza
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Base your decision on what your heart says. I hope you choose what you want.
DGeorge13
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Just do 3
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by DGeorge13)
Just do 3
From what it looks like, their school does the "take 4, drop 1" system
DGeorge13
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Personally not a fan of that as I could have taken four and my school pressured me but I only wanted three so spent way more time in them and would have hated to have to do an as at the end of first year
Bee Muza
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
To be honest is the take 4 drop 1 system useful. What was the point if taking up the subject if you’re going to drop. Unless you are left with an AS qualification in the subject you drop
Alevelz2018_2020
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Yh, that's better, more points for UCAS, if you do the AS
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Alevelz2018_2020)
Yh, that's better, more points for UCAS, if you do the AS
not all unis use UCAS points to judge applicants
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (208)
33.44%
No (414)
66.56%

Watched Threads