Adedayo2003
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I just want to congratulate everyone on their gcse results whether you were happy with them or disappointed because we all know that GCSEs are not everything, the richest people in the world don’t even have an education (many even dropped out of school) so the fact that you got this far into your education, you should be proud of yourself.

I wanted to use this thread to compare my gcse and my mock results for those going to year 11.

Mocks vs GCSEs (first number mocks, second number GCSEs)
Geography - 4 , 8
Chemistry 6, 8
Biology 6, 8
Maths 7, 8
Physics 7 , 7
Pe 8, 7
German 6, 5
Re 8, 9
Further maths A,B
English Lang 6,6
English lit 6,6
Economics 6,6

This to show that hard work for your GCSEs could improve your grades massively and mocks seriously mean nothing

I also want to say I’m somewhat disappointed but not in the subjects I want to do for a level so to be honest they don’t matter to me much. For nearly all my subjects I was close to a grade boundary which was really frustrating.
Last edited by Adedayo2003; 2 months ago
dxnixl
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Yeah Sure, why not (Mocks : Reality)

Mathematics 8 : 8
English Language 7 : 8
English Literature 6 : 8
Combined Science 8-8 : 9-9
Computer Science 9 : 8
Business Studies 8 : 9
Fine Art 7 : 7
Media Studies 6 : 9

Mock Grades : 988887766
Reality : 999988887

So for me, the only thing I went down in was Computer Science (from a 9 to an 8) but I’m not the type to whine about not getting 9’s because I honestly expected just 1 but ended up getting 4 😱 The thing is guys, I started working hard in September, hence why my mocks are amazing. I wouldn’t be upset if my mocks were in fact my real grades because they are really good. So to all new Year 11’s, if you ain’t getting the top grades - you ARE able to.

I think what shocked me the most was media Studies. I went from a grade 6 in my mocks to a grade 9, which just proves that revision will support you and that mocks mean nothing. Remember it’ll be over as soon as you know it.

Good luck guys
Last edited by dxnixl; 2 months ago
Tkt12345
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Right.
Mocks | reality
English lang: 5 | 7
English lit: 5 | 8
Maths: 8 | 9
Combined science: 8 | 8
History: 4 | 7
Geography: 5 | 8

My other subjects were new to the 9-1 system so we didn't have mock grades for them.
All of my grades went up from my mocks. This was down to more effort being put in but could also have been my teachers marking.
If anyone going into year 11 would like to know how I got these grades please ask
Anonymous778
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Mock results vs GCSE results
Literature: 4 vs 7
Language: 2 vs 7
Geography: 6 vs 8
Maths : 6 vs 8
Science 7-7 vs 9-9
RE - 7 vs 8
Drama : 4 vs 5
Spanish: 5 vs 6

As you can see, my mock grades were significantly lower in most subjects, as I think my school marked very harshly. I barely did any revision throughout the year, so I can’t have improved that much.
The Mogg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I can't be bothered listing all mine, because most of my actual grades were the same as the mock grades apart from 2, Computer Science and History. Got C/D borderline in all mocks in both subjects, got an A in both subjects. How? I don't bloody know, I can tell you though it wasn't through months of hard work, I didn't even start revision for subjects until days before their exam(s)...
telkov
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Still reread my results every now and then :P
Mock - Exam result
Maths: 7 - 7
English language: 9 - 8 (I was surprised to get a 9 before because I hate creative writing, but I was still a little disappointed I didn't achieve one again.)
English literature: 9 - 9
German: 6 - 7 (I actually was achieving 7s/8s throughout the year, but I really messed up my reading/writing in mocks. For the actual exam, my speaking and writing went well, but the others didn't, which was the converse of what I thought would happen)
History: 8 - 9 (Very happy! I was always so close to a 9 before, so it's nice to finally get it)
Geography: 9 - 9
Computer science: 8 - 8 (although I was getting 9s all year, so I am slightly disappointed)
Biology: 7 - 9
Chemistry 7 - 9
Physics: 9 - 9
Actual exam grades: 9999998877
I was so nervous about my science results, because annoyingly the only one I managed to get 9s in before was physics, which I didn't plan to continue with (I love it, but maths is not my strong point), and I want to shape my future in science, so I'm relieved I finally got my 9s .
My A-levels are biology, chemistry, geography and computer science, although I am slightly upset about dropping history and English lit, but they aren't relevant to me anymore
Jackgcsehelp
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Dayo03)
I just want to congratulate everyone on their gcse results whether you were happy with them or disappointed because we all know that GCSEs are not everything, the richest people in the world don’t even have an education (many even dropped out of school) so the fact that you got this far into your education, you should be proud of yourself.

I wanted to use this thread to compare my gcse and my mock results for those going to year 11.

Mocks vs GCSEs (first number mocks, second number GCSEs)
Geography - 4 , 8
Chemistry 6, 8
Biology 6, 8
Maths 7, 8
Physics 7 , 7
Pe 8, 7
German 6, 5
Re 8, 9
Further maths A,B
English Lang 6,6
English lit 6,6
Economics 6,6

This to show that hard work for your GCSEs could improve your grades massively and mocks seriously mean nothing

I also want to say I’m somewhat disappointed but not in the subjects I want to do for a level so to be honest they don’t matter to me much. For nearly all my subjects I was close to a grade boundary which was really frustrating.
Finally someone with the same amount of subjects as me. Barely anyone in my area had 12 like me. It’s kinda annoying as that’s just more stress
Adedayo2003
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Jackgcsehelp)
Finally someone with the same amount of subjects as me. Barely anyone in my area had 12 like me. It’s kinda annoying as that’s just more stress
If I did 9 subjects I would have done wayyy better
hanna778
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi, i am doing computer science gcse, please could you inform me of the best revision material/websites to revise with? And how is computer science in a level?
dxnixl
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by hanna778)
Hi, i am doing computer science gcse, please could you inform me of the best revision material/websites to revise with? And how is computer science in a level?
For GCSEs I think the CGP Computer Science Revision Guide was helpful.
I’m doing it for A level right now and honestly, it’s basically the same thing but with more content and a bit more advanced programming.
hanna778
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by dxnixl)
For GCSEs I think the CGP Computer Science Revision Guide was helpful.
I’m doing it for A level right now and honestly, it’s basically the same thing but with more content and a bit more advanced programming.
Would you recommend that i do it? In GCSE I'm strong in mostly all parts of the course except programming. I am struggling to find programming guides too. The only thing putting me off choosing it for A Level is the programming. I like programming but I'm not completely confident; I know I could be ok with it if i was taught well. Depends if they teach programming basics in A Level. Thanks for your reply btw
dxnixl
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Would you recommend that i do it? In GCSE I'm strong in mostly all parts of the course except programming. I am struggling to find programming guides too. The only thing putting me off choosing it for A Level is the programming. I like programming but I'm not completely confident; I know I could be ok with it if i was taught well. Depends if they teach programming basics in A Level. Thanks for your reply btw
Well I don’t know how they’ll teach it at your sixth form, but my teachers divided my lessons per week so I spend 2 lessons programming and the other 2 on content. It’s really useful and it helps to learn programming like that!

I do Eduqas, so my course content : programming ratio is 7:3 so it’s 70% course content and 30% programming. I’m pretty sure other exam boards focus more on content so don’t worry about that.

If you genuinely enjoy it and are good at the content then I’d deffo recommend it!
hanna778
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by dxnixl)
Well I don’t know how they’ll teach it at your sixth form, but my teachers divided my lessons per week so I spend 2 lessons programming and the other 2 on content. It’s really useful and it helps to learn programming like that!

I do Eduqas, so my course content : programming ratio is 7:3 so it’s 70% course content and 30% programming. I’m pretty sure other exam boards focus more on content so don’t worry about that.

If you genuinely enjoy it and are good at the content then I’d deffo recommend it!
Thank you so much!
winterscoming
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
There's quite a lot of material related to programming topics here as well as other parts of the syllabus: https://student.craigndave.org/
Some on here too: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/subjects/z34k7ty

Make sure you spend time reading up on the stuff about computational thinking, algorithmic thinking, problem solving, etc - that stuff is really important for programming, since you'll usually start out with some problem to solve, which means you need to be able to analyse/understand any problem in full before you've got any chance of being able to write the logic/code (or flowchart) which actually solves that problem. A lot of people skip this and then find themselves feeling 'stuck' staring at a code editor without knowing what code to write or where to start - usually that's because they haven't spent anywhere near enough time thinking about the problem or thing they're trying to code.

Since you're at GCSE level, I assume you're using Python? There's a massive amount of information online for that. Here's a few decent (free) ones:

https://www.codecademy.com/courses/learn-python (You can ignore this "nagging" to upgrade to Pro and do all the free lessons)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...72C720775B213E
https://www.py4e.com/
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...6oAMk4JHw91mC_
http://greenteapress.com/wp/think-python-2e/
https://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/index.html
https://pythonforbiologists.com/29-c...s-on-one-page/

Programming and problem solving are all about practice - if you keep at it, everything will eventually start to click and feel a lot more natural.
username4980838
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
deleted
Last edited by username4980838; 3 weeks ago
username4980838
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
deleted
Last edited by username4980838; 3 weeks ago
ArtmisKco
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Heyyyy I didn’t revise for mocks which was bad I know. I just revised like the day b4 so my grades were
English Lang- 6
Maths- 8 (I cheated on this one by using last years paper I know it was really bad but they literally told us we had mocks the weekend b4 starting them so I was rly stressed. Lesson learned anyway)
Re- 5
French- 6
Bio- 6
Chem- 6
English lit- 3
Geography- 8
Physics- 7

Real grades
Maths- 8.(HAHAHAHA I was 10 marks of 9 😭😖)
English lit- 7
English Lang- 8
French- 7
Geo- 9
Bio- 9
Chem- 7
Physics- 8
Re- 9
star1812
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Mocks to reality:
English language 5 to 7
English lit 3 to 8
Maths 5 to 7
Physics C to A
Chemistry C to A
Biology C to A
Geography 4 to 7
History 3 to 7
Spanish 3 to 5
santanalopez
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Mock 1 - Mock 2 - GCSE
English language - 5 , 5 , 6
English Literature - 3 , 5 , 7
Maths - 6 , 7 , 7
Science - 5-5 , 7-6 , 8-7
Statistics - N/A , 4 , 8
Spanish - 4 , 6 , 4
Photography - 6 , 7 , 8
Geography - 5 , 7 , 7
Health and social care - Merit , Merit , Distinction
pelumixo
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by star1812)
Mocks to reality:
English language 5 to 7
English lit 3 to 8
Maths 5 to 7
Physics C to A
Chemistry C to A
Biology C to A
Geography 4 to 7
History 3 to 7
Spanish 3 to 5
Any advice on how to get a 7 in English language, I’m really struggling
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Contemporary Dance Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Nov '19
  • University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (200)
19.23%
Labour (443)
42.6%
Liberal Democrats (201)
19.33%
Green Party (54)
5.19%
Brexit Party (27)
2.6%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.38%
SNP (15)
1.44%
Plaid Cymru (10)
0.96%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.1%
Sinn Fein (2)
0.19%
SDLP (1)
0.1%
Ulster Unionist (3)