Biology: 9 | 8
Chemistry: 9 | 8
Physics: 9 | 9
R.E: 8 | 9
Further Maths: n/a | A*

Overall:
Mocks: 9999988888
Real: 9999888888A*

Did lots of revision for mocks and hardly any for the real thing (mostly all nighters and cramming) because I have a huge procrastination issue so I went down a lot. Makes you wonder what I could've gotten if I just got on with it.
Last edited by hajima; 3 weeks ago
star1812
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Well I did iGCSE so I knew I would get a story so I wrote a practise story before hand and used a theme that could be adapted to any title they gave me in there and got my teacher to mark it and help me so I knew it was good before I went in the exam. Also do loads of transactional writing practise (letters, speeches etc) that’s the only way I found I got better. Then annotate and make notes on the texts you have to analyse to make sure you know them really well. Good luck!!
casabonita
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Mocks: 9999999887
Real: 9999999998A (didn't do mocks for statistics and fsmq!)

7 in computer science (mocks) went to a 9.
8 in religious studies (mocks) went to a 9.
german stayed the same at an 8!

one of my friends got a 3 in her english lit mock, then a 9 in the real thing.
briana2585
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by casabonita)
Mocks: 9999999887
Real: 9999999998A (didn't do mocks for statistics and fsmq!)

7 in computer science (mocks) went to a 9.
8 in religious studies (mocks) went to a 9.
german stayed the same at an 8!

one of my friends got a 3 in her english lit mock, then a 9 in the real thing.
Hey do you have any revision tips cuz u did SOOOOOOO well!
Congrats btw >.<
casabonita
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by briana2585)
Hey do you have any revision tips cuz u did SOOOOOOO well!
Congrats btw >.<
thank you!
for tips, i'd say to make sure all the basic knowledge for each subject is drilled into ur brain (use something like seneca for this), then after start trying out exam questions to see where you're lacking! flashcards for stuff you're struggling with, and lots of practice papers! good luck
hanna778
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by winterscoming)
There's quite a lot of material related to programming topics here as well as other parts of the syllabus: https://student.craigndave.org/
Some on here too: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/subjects/z34k7ty

Make sure you spend time reading up on the stuff about computational thinking, algorithmic thinking, problem solving, etc - that stuff is really important for programming, since you'll usually start out with some problem to solve, which means you need to be able to analyse/understand any problem in full before you've got any chance of being able to write the logic/code (or flowchart) which actually solves that problem. A lot of people skip this and then find themselves feeling 'stuck' staring at a code editor without knowing what code to write or where to start - usually that's because they haven't spent anywhere near enough time thinking about the problem or thing they're trying to code.

Since you're at GCSE level, I assume you're using Python? There's a massive amount of information online for that. Here's a few decent (free) ones:

https://www.codecademy.com/courses/learn-python (You can ignore this "nagging" to upgrade to Pro and do all the free lessons)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...72C720775B213E
https://www.py4e.com/
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...6oAMk4JHw91mC_
http://greenteapress.com/wp/think-python-2e/
https://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/index.html
https://pythonforbiologists.com/29-c...s-on-one-page/

Programming and problem solving are all about practice - if you keep at it, everything will eventually start to click and feel a lot more natural.
Thank you so so much for all of this info! Yes, I am currently studying Python but as my teacher isn't extremely approachable and I am not confident on all of it, I was wondering whether programming is covered from the basics in college. I know its different depending on each college so I am going for a meeting soon. Once again, thank you so much for these links
winterscoming
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by hanna778)
Thank you so so much for all of this info! Yes, I am currently studying Python but as my teacher isn't extremely approachable and I am not confident on all of it, I was wondering whether programming is covered from the basics in college. I know its different depending on each college so I am going for a meeting soon. Once again, thank you so much for these links
You're welcome! And yes, colleges should be teaching everything including programming from basic principles since the A-Level syllabus is designed around students who have never touched programming before and are completely new to the whole subject. Hopefully that means a lot of the first year at A-Level will feel like revision for you, or at least a chance to re-learn everything from scratch without being behind. You've still got loads of time left anyway to brush up your programming skills in Python. Codecademy and Py4E are really worth doing in your own time since they do a really good job of explaining everything.

Unfortunately Programming and Computer Science are usually badly taught at GCSE because it was a totally new subject in 2015, so there just haven't ever been enough experienced teachers. Colleges are usually much better at it because most of them have been teaching it at A-Level for decades.
hanna778
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by winterscoming)
You're welcome! And yes, colleges should be teaching everything including programming from basic principles since the A-Level syllabus is designed around students who have never touched programming before and are completely new to the whole subject. Hopefully that means a lot of the first year at A-Level will feel like revision for you, or at least a chance to re-learn everything from scratch without being behind. You've still got loads of time left anyway to brush up your programming skills in Python. Codecademy and Py4E are really worth doing in your own time since they do a really good job of explaining everything.

Unfortunately Programming and Computer Science are usually badly taught at GCSE because it was a totally new subject in 2015, so there just haven't ever been enough experienced teachers. Colleges are usually much better at it because most of them have been teaching it at A-Level for decades.
Thank you so much, I feel much more informed about this and not as anxious as I did before
Charlie56
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Here's mine - mocks at December and then real thing

English lit - 7 - 9
History - 9 - 9
Maths - 8 - 9
Biology - 9 - 9
Chemistry - 8 - 9
Physics - 8 - 9
English language - 6 - 7
Sociology - 6 - 8
German - 7 - 7
ArabLlama
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This seems fun.

Mocks, End result
Biology - 6, 8
Chemistry - 6, 8
Physics - 6, 8
Maths - 8, 8
English Lang - 4, 8
English Lit - 4, 7
Computer Science - 4, 6
History - 3, 8
Further maths - No mock. A in end
German - 6, 5
annoymous_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
MOCK v REALITY
ENG 5-7
ENG LIT 6-8
HISTORY 7-9
RS 7-9
MATHS 7-7
BIO 5-7
CHEM 5-8
PHYSICS 5-8
ICT C- A
minfaith6
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by pelumixo)
Any advice on how to get a 7 in English language, I’m really struggling
absolutely focus on creating a story which is easily adaptable. the prompt you will be given is usually relatively vague (this is if you choose the word prompt not the photo prompt) so your story can fit into it. write a story based around a plot point and once youre done ask an english teacher to advise you on how to make it better. keep going until you have a really solid idea which you can change little points of to fit the prompt. the creative writing in paper 1 and the non fiction in paper 2 is worth 40 marks each (half marks) so is SUPER IMPORTANT!!

the first half of the papers is harder to revise for because you dont know the text but just practice your time management bc thats always the killer for me oof.

anyway idk what help this was but i got an 8 bordering on a 9 in the set of mocks i just did and it worked for me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (83)
73.45%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
15.93%
Yes but I might change my mind (12)
10.62%

Watched Threads