The Student Room Group

Hardest Science GCSE?

Scroll to see replies

Did my GCSEs this year got a 77 in combined science

Easiest to hardest: Physics, Chemistry, Biology
for me is biology.
I got 192/100 in chem, 189/200 in physics, 153/200 in bio ;(. I'm gonna get a remark tho ( I only need 4 more marks for a 9)
Maths (easiest), chemistry, biology, physics (hardest)
I love maths and have always been pretty good at it, but I hated physics and nothing ever made sense. I could sit there and do the calculations, learn the equations, and get a good grade but never knew what anything I was doing really meant.
Original post by Rae5
Omg same and everyone thinks I’m petty for being upset with myself for Chemistry grade, but Chemistry was the only ever subject I got 9s in the mock (all of the chemistry mocks I did I got a 9 which never happened in any other subjects )

Exactly! I got 9s in Chem and physics all year, with 8s in bio at the beginning, but then i started getting 999 and it’s just so annoying because I know I’m capable of it but chemistry paper 1 just didn’t go very well for me :frown:
Original post by jduxie4414
Exactly! I got 9s in Chem and physics all year, with 8s in bio at the beginning, but then i started getting 999 and it’s just so annoying because I know I’m capable of it but chemistry paper 1 just didn’t go very well for me :frown:

Yes!!! Preach omg I messed up paper 1 which then made me over anxious for paper 2 ! Nevertheless I’m taking Chemistry for a level lol
Original post by Rae5
Yes!!! Preach omg I messed up paper 1 which then made me over anxious for paper 2 ! Nevertheless I’m taking Chemistry for a level lol

Good luck! I was taking physics but apparently I need FM to get into uni :frown:
Original post by jduxie4414
Good luck! I was taking physics but apparently I need FM to get into uni :frown:

Yeah I’m also taking physics, a lot of unis don’t need FM have you looked into them ones?
Original post by Rae5
Yeah I’m also taking physics, a lot of unis don’t need FM have you looked into them ones?

Well I was gonna have a stab at Oxford and because the course I want to do there is theoretical with a lot of maths to explain things they prefer FM, like 2 people in the last 4 years got in without it :frown: I’ll try other unis though thanks for your help x
Reply 28
100% chemistry the hardest by a mile
Original post by Elsmok
100% chemistry the hardest by a mile

I agree

I did AQA and apart from maybe C1, C2 and C9, all the topics frustrated me so much. So many little details on the chemical analysis topic for example with having to know the colours of flames, precipitate colours, and the methodology of the practicals

Don't even get me started on some of the maths and practical questions on the chemistry papers (especially paper 1 - my ultimate downfall)

Biology was somewhat hard due to the harshest mark schemes but I was lucky that the topics I revised the most came up. Yet for Chem my worst ones came up.

The magnetism topic in Physics was hellish but I managed to finally learn things like the motor effect the night before the exam, only for things like microphones (or whatever it was) to come up, which I skimmed past while revising. Physics is fine if you learn the concepts and watch freesciencelessons, otherwise it'll be your worst nightmare

But yeah Chemistry was the hardest for me for sure
Easiest was Biology. Hardest was Physics.

Got an 8 in all three, however!
Reply 31
Physics chem bio
For me, their are all the same. They are hard (and easy) in their own ways.
Got A*s in Biology and Physics and an A in Chem, so I guess Chemistry was my hardest. Honestly much of science at GCSE level is just remembering stuff. I quit Physics on the first day of A-level though since it was incredibly maths based and I wasn't in the mood for it
Easiest - Physics
Also ‘easy’ but harder than physics: Chemistry
Hardest but not ‘hard’ - Biology
Original post by dxnnyk
Easiest was Biology. Hardest was Physics.

Got an 8 in all three, however!

congrats ! are you doing any for A-level ?
Original post by bingbangbong11
for me is biology.
I got 192/100 in chem, 189/200 in physics, 153/200 in bio ;(. I'm gonna get a remark tho ( I only need 4 more marks for a 9)

192, wowww I’ve been getting 9s but never that high Jesus Christ 😂
Original post by snazzy viking
I agree

I did AQA and apart from maybe C1, C2 and C9, all the topics frustrated me so much. So many little details on the chemical analysis topic for example with having to know the colours of flames, precipitate colours, and the methodology of the practicals

Don't even get me started on some of the maths and practical questions on the chemistry papers (especially paper 1 - my ultimate downfall)

Biology was somewhat hard due to the harshest mark schemes but I was lucky that the topics I revised the most came up. Yet for Chem my worst ones came up.

The magnetism topic in Physics was hellish but I managed to finally learn things like the motor effect the night before the exam, only for things like microphones (or whatever it was) to come up, which I skimmed past while revising. Physics is fine if you learn the concepts and watch freesciencelessons, otherwise it'll be your worst nightmare

But yeah Chemistry was the hardest for me for sure

This is so true, it’s unreal! Physics Paper 2 about Magnetism and Waves and Space is soooo hard and difficult to process! I liked Chemistry but it takes such a long time to get through C4 understanding all those methods! Biology Paper 1 is great but AQA are SOOOOO harsh with their marksheme and Paper 2 is quite difficult
congrats ! are you doing any for A-level ?

Thanks! I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and Psychology.

What subjects did you take?
Reply 39
Biology was somewhat hard due to the harshest mark schemes

couldn't be more true. dont revise biology topics, revise biology past mark schemes to know what words are accepted and what arent even if they mean the same thing

Quick Reply

Latest