Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I have a 5,000 word literature review due tonight and I'm barely on 2k words. I am struggling and continue to struggle to write my discussion. I find it difficult to access papers even with my uni logins. This is a first attempt basis repeat, but I cannot fail. I don't know how to progress, if I genuinely don't know what to write. I have been feeling numb for these past few days.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have a 5,000 word literature review due tonight and I'm barely on 2k words. I am struggling and continue to struggle to write my discussion. I find it difficult to access papers even with my uni logins. This is a first attempt basis repeat, but I cannot fail. I don't know how to progress, if I genuinely don't know what to write. I have been feeling numb for these past few days.
Does your lit review have to be 5000 words? Could be shorter to give yourself more breathing space? If you're struggling, you need to contact your supervisor/personal tutor, and GP to get proper support.

What kind of thing have you written so far? What is your topic?
ThePillar
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Make a skeleton. Expand on that skeleton. Some of my highest grade work has been when I "threw something in". Make sure you read the marking criteria - some marks are just for the title, some are for addressing certain points. If you follow that, space out a skeleton review then it CANT fail. And relax. Take a little walk outside, make your skeleton. Start with a word per bullet point. By the time you've padded that out with your backing up with sources, it'll nearly be on target.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I am a ChemEng student so I'm not used to doing a literature review. My title is Food industry: good and bad chemicals. But I can change it.

The acceptable lower limit is 4.5k but I think I'm going to try and aim for 3k and format appropriately.

I've written about canning as a food preservation technique and microbial contamination that can occur. I've mentioned a paper regarding food recalls due to microbial contamination.

But it's not enough.
ThePillar
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
As I said, make your skeleton. All the points you think you can cover. Then find about 5-7 sources and papers about the points. Have you made a list of some bad and good chemicals? Why are they good or bad? Define good/bad ? is it an ethical issue? Health issue? cost issue? How will brexit effect this? are some banned under current EU legislation? You need to pick a train of thought and just run with it
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I am a ChemEng student so I'm not used to doing a literature review. My title is Food industry: good and bad chemicals. But I can change it.

The acceptable lower limit is 4.5k but I think I'm going to try and aim for 3k and format appropriately.

I've written about canning as a food preservation technique and microbial contamination that can occur. I've mentioned a paper regarding food recalls due to microbial contamination.

But it's not enough.
You need to find relevant papers, and say how they relate to you research question you're asking. What did they find and what does this suggest for the area? Work from generally related papers to more specific ones.
ThePillar
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Canning - you can also mention why it's used compared to other methods. I don't know much about all this, but I can hazard a guess at some areas you can cover. Good canning process and bad canning process. What can go wrong in canning. I dunno Don't cover tooooo many point though, You'll be ok
ThePillar
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
health implications of these microbial contamination's......
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Lots and lots of additives in some foods, particularly heavily processed things, those E numbers all link to specific chemical compounds. There should be some interesting things to follow up in that direction, Googling for” E number food safety” gets about 1,440,000,000 hits.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (133)
29.69%
No (315)
70.31%

Watched Threads