wantobedentist
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Heya, I am about to be a year 13 student and am incredibly stuck! I really want to pursue dentistry however my school are predicting ABB which is not what I need to get in. I am not going to do the UCAT as to me there seems no point. However I need some advice regarding wether I should take a gap year or do dental hygiene and then do dentistry. I am incredibly confused! Also would love some motivation to work hard- plus need some alevel tips. and wether anyone knows anyone who has taken an alternative path to dentistry like a gap year or dental hygiene? also If I apply yo dental hygiene what universities would one recommend.
Thank You so Much look forward to a few replies
klywi03
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What would you do in your gap year? Also try getting your teachers to move up your B predictions to an A. If they won’t then, an alternative route to dental hygiene & a gap year, you could apply for a foundation degree for dentistry, which is 6 years compared to the normal 5 years in dental surgery
HRaqib
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you take a gap year you will be able to apply to universities with your actual grades so what your teachers predicted wouldn’t matter. If you think you can get AAA or above in the exams, you should be able to get into dentistry. Regarding the UKCAT, you will be able to take that in the gap year and I would advise that since lots of universities require it done.
Ace_star
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by wantobedentist)
Heya, I am about to be a year 13 student and am incredibly stuck! I really want to pursue dentistry however my school are predicting ABB which is not what I need to get in. I am not going to do the UCAT as to me there seems no point. However I need some advice regarding wether I should take a gap year or do dental hygiene and then do dentistry. I am incredibly confused! Also would love some motivation to work hard- plus need some alevel tips. and wether anyone knows anyone who has taken an alternative path to dentistry like a gap year or dental hygiene? also If I apply yo dental hygiene what universities would one recommend.
Thank You so Much look forward to a few replies
there's 10 of us who got even lower grades than you who are off to to study dentistry abroad in October. no entrance exams required and fully accepted by the gdc. pm me for more info
Ace_star
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
many student have even got to the interview stage and failed at that point after getting a 1st in biomed. imagine that so you are £30,000 debt already and then what do you do. I suggest you research previous experiences of students.

all am saying that if you don't get in first time PLEASE DO NOT risk wasting 3 years of your life for maybe a place at dental/medical school you rather just have the options abroad with guarantee entry. there's a big British community who are studying abroad
wantobedentist
Rep:
?
(Original post by klywi03)
What would you do in your gap year? Also try getting your teachers to move up your B predictions to an A. If they won’t then, an alternative route to dental hygiene & a gap year, you could apply for a foundation degree for dentistry, which is 6 years compared to the normal 5 years in dental surgery
hi I checked a foundation degree however you have to fit a certain criteria which I do not
.Matthew.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Bruh you better be prepared to wait a few thousand years for that
wantobedentist
Rep:
?
(Original post by HRaqib)
If you take a gap year you will be able to apply to universities with your actual grades so what your teachers predicted wouldn’t matter. If you think you can get AAA or above in the exams, you should be able to get into dentistry. Regarding the UKCAT, you will be able to take that in the gap year and I would advise that since lots of universities require it done.
Okay will do thank you so much for the advice!
RedHelenB
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you need motivation to up your game re. your A levels and cant be bothered to do the ukcat I would think seriously whether you really want to do dentistry.
wantobedentist
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ace_star)
there's 10 of us who got even lower grades than you who are off to to study dentistry abroad in October. no entrance exams required and fully accepted by the gdc. pm me for more info
I would love to know about your experience applying abroad for dentistry and how Brexit has played a role in your application. Thank You!
wantobedentist
Rep:
?
many student have even got to the interview stage and failed at that point after getting a 1st in biomed. imagine that so you are £30,000 debt already and then what do you do. I suggest you research previous experiences of students.

all am saying that if you don't get in first time PLEASE DO NOT risk wasting 3 years of your life for maybe a place at dental/medical school you rather just have the options abroad with guarantee entry. there's a big British community who are studying abroad
Okay thank you for the advice, I was thinking the same but if I do dental Hygiene I have an actual degree I can use so that if I did not get into dentistry I could still work. Thank you for the advice I really do appreciate it!
Ace_star
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
you just sit a ORE exam after you graduate. if you've ever done work experience in a hospital you'll know there's a lot of DR's who are from outside the EU. So brexit has no effect
wantobedentist
Rep:
?
you just sit a ORE exam after you graduate. if you've ever done work experience in a hospital you'll know there's a lot of DR's who are from outside the EU. So brexit has no effect
Oh okay thank you!
tannlege
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
if it was accredited by GDC, why would you need to sit the ORE ? Please don't give applicants false hope.
tannlege
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you think you are capable of it and you meet all the other criteria, assuming you get AAA or above, take the gap year. It's worth it in the long run and less of a gamble compared to studying abroad or doing graduate entry as the completion is much more fierce.
Ace_star
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
once you pass the Overseas Registration Exam: part 1 and part 2. but am going to transfer to a country which is within the EEA European Economic Area*after my 2nd year. This way I don't have to sit this ORE as its Part 1 - £806
Part 2 - £2929*

Re-sitting the Medical Emergencies exam on its own if required and eligible - £300.**

You can find this from the gdc website. many DR's/dentist/nurses you'll find that work in hospitals are from all over the world. when there is shortage and the uk will always welcome from everywhere
Last edited by Ace_star; 1 year ago
Ace_star
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
am sure after graduating from outside or within or wherever it may be, according to the gdc website is the ore exam. by then candidates should be competent enough to pass it.
wantobedentist
Rep:
?
(Original post by tannlege)
If you think you are capable of it and you meet all the other criteria, assuming you get AAA or above, take the gap year. It's worth it in the long run and less of a gamble compared to studying abroad or doing graduate entry as the completion is much more fierce.
Thank You!!
Fitness X Study
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
which uni?
Ace_star
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
pm me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (53)
29.78%
No - I have already returned home (23)
12.92%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (42)
23.6%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (15)
8.43%
No - I live at home during term anyway (45)
25.28%

Watched Threads