Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi,

I’m currently in my 3rd year of uni and I am sure I want to do a masters in psychology. I was looking at universities like Reading and Royal Holloway as they have excellent and interesting courses and have a commute of around half an hour from where I live, so I will be able to live at home and save money.

However, I spoke to my friend about this decision and she said that I should move away. Away from my family and boyfriend to allow myself to develop more. I moved 20 mins away for my undergraduate degree and I did not like it at all and I would be happy to live at home whilst doing my masters.

However, do you think it is worth moving further away and living alone? I have lived with my boyfriend for the last year in his student accommodation so I have had the chance to live independently. Do you think the year of living away is more valuable than the money I would be able to save? I do always try to push myself to do things that scare me, but I don’t know if it is worth it or not!

Any advice is appreciated.
username4929448
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
To be honest, if you're happy where you are and you have the chance to save a bit of money then I don't see why you need to! It's also worth remembering that masters are a step up in both intensity and workload so you may want that extra bit of support around you while you are getting the degree. Both Royal Holloway and Reading are decent Unis - so do what you feel is best!
username1549081
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by grevling)
To be honest, if you're happy where you are and you have the chance to save a bit of money then I don't see why you need to! It's also worth remembering that masters are a step up in both intensity and workload so you may want that extra bit of support around you while you are getting the degree. Both Royal Holloway and Reading are decent Unis - so do what you feel is best!
I have to agree with your comment here. Plus a lot of Masters courses can be expensive so you may save money by living at home and commuting. I am not sure how much the masters tuition fees cost but I believe it various from uni to uni and are not regulated by the government. So every little helps really
marinade
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Anonymous. Psychology subject. Words develop, push myself and scare used. Putting all those things together. Is there more there and you might get a different set of replies and perspective in the mental health forum?

From the perspective of this forum if you want to save money, the course is good and you live with your bf it seems difficult to justify moving.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (12)
13.48%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.87%
I need help with filling out the application form (5)
5.62%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
40.45%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.84%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.25%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.49%

Watched Threads