The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Justanotheranon6
Would u ban books u consider a waste of time to read?

If the government was forced to pay for these books then yh.

Do you really think students who take out loan on these courses end up paying it back? No, the tax payer does. I sure don't want to be paying tax when it's being used to fund useless degrees which contribute nothing to, if not degrade, society.

Before someone mentions, my arguments extends to all Micky Mouse degrees.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Nuttyy

Do you really think students who take out loan on these courses end up paying it back? No, the tax payer does. I sure don't want to be paying tax when it's being used to fund useless degrees which contribute nothing to, if not degrade, society.

What degree did u take?
Reply 22
Original post by Nuttyy

There are worse things tax gets spent on than a few degrees, ye mad *******
Original post by Oljen
Not gonna go into detail as I don’t think I need to , but Gender studies is a major waste of time and one huge scam. I believe it should be banned

Nah, but should be regulated more.
Reply 24

Stupid comparison , I’m not going into 40k debt to read a book
Original post by Oljen
Stupid comparison , I’m not going into 40k debt to read a book

What if people have a genuine passion for gender studies? Do u also want to cut music and art degrees? Yes we would have a more profitable world but a soulless world. It’s easy for a person without passion to suggest cutting the arts or the humanities or the social sciences. But what kind of dull world is that? English literature was once not taken seriously as a degree, it wasn’t until the post war era that it was considered a real degree. Neither was psychology. It might not provide jobs now but we have no idea where the field might take us. What we might discover. What information it may offer ya
Reply 27
What degree did u take?

I study dentistry.
Reply 28
Original post by gjd800
There are worse things tax gets spent on than a few degrees, ye mad *******

To be honest, that is true. But this topic wasn't about that haha
Reply 29
What if people have a genuine passion for gender studies? Do u also want to cut music and art degrees? Yes we would have a more profitable world but a soulless world. It’s easy for a person without passion to suggest cutting the arts or the humanities or the social sciences. But what kind of dull world is that? English literature was once not taken seriously as a degree, it wasn’t until the post war era that it was considered a real degree. Neither was psychology. It might not provide jobs now but we have no idea where the field might take us. What we might discover. What information it may offer ya

What would gender studies possibly lead to in the future?
Original post by Oljen
What would gender studies possibly lead to in the future?

People once said that about psychology and English Literature degrees. People saw “literature” as a subject for the women whilst men did the “real” degree of classics. Today an English literature degree is seen as equal if not more useful than a classics degree. It is seen as something with ‘transferable skills’ which can help u get into law or governments work, hell, even some bankers have English lit degrees. Gender studies will be the same
Reply 31
No. After all, what else can the blue haired feminists do at Uni if not Gender Studies?!
Original post by Oljen
Not gonna go into detail as I don’t think I need to , but Gender studies is a major waste of time and one huge scam. I believe it should be banned

Honestly if your dumb enough to take gender studies that money is better off being used by an educational institution.
Reply 33
People once said that about psychology and English Literature degrees. People saw “literature” as a subject for the women whilst men did the “real” degree of classics. Today an English literature degree is seen as equal if not more useful than a classics degree. It is seen as something with ‘transferable skills’ which can help u get into law or governments work, hell, even some bankers have English lit degrees. Gender studies will be the same

No it won’t though , there’s a big difference between studying English and learning about feelings of Genders and societies construct depicted on Science regarding Gender. I’d rather hire someone with a English degree than a goddamn gender studies degree.
Original post by Oljen
No it won’t though , there’s a big difference between studying English and learning about feelings of Genders and societies construct depicted on Science regarding Gender. I’d rather hire someone with a English degree than a goddamn gender studies degree.

How many staff are you responsible for hiring?
no.

if people want to waste their time and scam themselves, let them, we should try to control people's lives as little as possible otherwise we'll feel oppressed.

Many similarities between a book and an university course smh

/sarcasm
Reply 37
Original post by Oljen

Wow. It still always surprises me when I see people this ignorant online (how did they manage to even set up an account?). Just because you think it 'is a major waste of time and one huge scam', doesn't mean that 'it should be banned'. You sound like a toddler. I myself think a number of subjects are a 'waste of time', but I would never presume to say they should be banned. Just because you can't see the value of something doesn't mean it doesn't have a value. May I ask what your chosen subject of study is? How would you feel if I told you that was a waste of time and that I want to ban it....

Please just grow up.
Reply 38
Original post by Zoqua
Wow. It still always surprises me when I see people this ignorant online (how did they manage to even set up an account?). Just because you think it 'is a major waste of time and one huge scam', doesn't mean that 'it should be banned'. You sound like a toddler. I myself think a number of subjects are a 'waste of time', but I would never presume to say they should be banned. Just because you can't see the value of something doesn't mean it doesn't have a value. May I ask what your chosen subject of study is? How would you feel if I told you that was a waste of time and that I want to ban it....

Please just grow up.

Should the government fund every and all subjects in your opinion?

I personally think they should only fund subjects which bring value to society. After taking average employability, tax paid etc into account.
Reply 39
Original post by Nuttyy
Should the government fund every and all subjects in your opinion?

I personally think they should only fund subjects which bring value to society. After taking average employability, tax paid etc into account.

I think it would be fine for the government to not fund a subject (which is different from banning it), provided that the government had substantial evidence that employability & tax paid and just general monetary return to both the individual and society was extremely low. However, that is not what the maker of this thread was saying. They where saying that they think it should be banned 'because it's a waste of time', and a 'total scam', without providing evidence that this is the case. If you can provide solid evidence that degrees have very little return to society, then I do not see why the government should continue funding them. However, that itself raises a number of questions. Can you only measure 'value to society' by tax paid and employability? I'm quite a materialistic person, but even I can see that there is more that can be contributed to society than just tax.

For example, personally I can't stand art, and can't see why someone would want to do a degree in it. I think it is a tremendous waste of time and energy, and personally am never more bored than when I'm in an art gallery. Art doesn't have a particularly high tax-return rate or very high employability, with it having one of the lowest salaries on average after degree completion. But that doesn't mean that it brings no value to society, as I understand that I am in a minority in finding art uninteresting and painfully dull, so I wouldn't say it should be banned.

Also, by that logic of measuring tax-returns and employability rates, it would be quite difficult to introduce any new degree subjects whatsoever, because in the first few years of the subject being introduced, there is bound to quite a low employability rate (as it is a new subject which many people may not understand or have a use for yet), but will grow over time, and could become very profitable, but by that logic, that subject would be squashed within the first few years of introduction. Computer Science was not very applicable or employable when it was first made a degree, and now it is a very well paid and employable subject which can be used in a variety of fields.

Good question by the way :smile:.
(edited 4 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending