Parliament suspension (pros and cons) Watch

vickkyyx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
What are some of the advantages and disadvantages of suspending a parliament??
Is it a bad move ?? Or is it actually what is needed ??
I am a bit confused hence why I am asking this sort of question
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Whether things are advantageous or disadvantageous depends on who you are, what your stance on Brexit is, and how you feel about particular implementations of democracy.

What the suspension does is give parliament much less time to scrutinise the decisions of Boris Johnson and the cabinet, which makes it far easier to force through a no deal Brexit. Some would see this as good, as it means a faster way of delivering the result of the referendum. Others see it as a dangerous subversion of democracy to implement the worst possible form of brexit.

In effect: Democracy has been subverted to avoid the whims of a democratically elected House of Commons who could've potentially reversed the result of a direct democratic process. Democracy is cancelled in order to deliver err... democracy, which we voted on to stop the EU subverting our parliamentary democracy.... which Boris is subverting.

If that was confusing, that's because it is.
vickkyyx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Retired_Messiah)
Whether things are advantageous or disadvantageous depends on who you are, what your stance on Brexit is, and how you feel about particular implementations of democracy.

What the suspension does is give parliament much less time to scrutinise the decisions of Boris Johnson and the cabinet, which makes it far easier to force through a no deal Brexit. Some would see this as good, as it means a faster way of delivering the result of the referendum. Others see it as a dangerous subversion of democracy to implement the worst possible form of brexit.

In effect: Democracy has been subverted to avoid the whims of a democratically elected House of Commons who could've potentially reversed the result of a direct democratic process. Democracy is cancelled in order to deliver err... democracy, which we voted on to stop the EU subverting our parliamentary democracy.... which Boris is subverting.

If that was confusing, that's because it is.
And does Boris Johnson wants a no deal Brexit ?? (Sorry I just recently been interested in Brexit so I am not much aware of anything)
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by vickkyyx)
And does Boris Johnson wants a no deal Brexit ?? (Sorry I just recently been interested in Brexit so I am not much aware of anything)
honestly? **** knows
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (201)
23.96%
Pop (208)
24.79%
Jazz (33)
3.93%
Classical (46)
5.48%
Hip-Hop (162)
19.31%