The Student Room Group

Are Coco pops a healthy breakfast?

Hi guys i’m trying to loss weight and I have all my other meals down i’m just struggling with breakfast. I currently have coco pops, which is a cereal and doesn’t seem too bad for you. I have tried eat Oatmeal and it made me feel sick eating it, so I can’t really eat oats.

So are coco pops really bad for you or am I fine to carry on eating them and they only have 151 calories per serving?
Original post by G_Singh145
Hi guys i’m trying to loss weight and I have all my other meals down i’m just struggling with breakfast. I currently have coco pops, which is a cereal and doesn’t seem too bad for you. I have tried eat Oatmeal and it made me feel sick eating it, so I can’t really eat oats.

So are coco pops really bad for you or am I fine to carry on eating them and they only have 151 calories per serving?

They're packed with sugar. Try a healthier cereal. I like bran flakes. Boring but a lot better than coco pops!
This is an important point, OP. Most people don't check that they're having 30g which is a small amount, like a third of the bowl you pour it into.

There are worse cereals out there, but they're not the best. They're not very filling at all, you'll find yourself feeling hungry not long after having a bowl so you'll end up eating more than you normally would. I'd recommend Weetabix (just the one as two can be too much) or 30g of cheerios instead. Something with protein/fibre and vitamins, as well as low sugar and calories. Think of breakfast (and all foods) as a fuel and as an appetite reducer/delayer to prepare you for the day. You can get tasty breakfast milkshakes if you can't stomach food in the morning, which I sometimes have if I don't have time for breakfast. It's full of nutrients and more importantly, it has a lot of protein. I won't feel hungry for many many hours after one of them. I have one called Fuel.
Reply 3
not really
but they are a delicious breakfast and thats all that matters :smile:
Reply 4
Ah man, I didn’t notice it said 30g serving size. I guess that’s where my mistake lied
Original post by Allie4
not really
but they are a delicious breakfast and thats all that matters :smile:

If I could down thumb this then I would

OP, it really doesn’t matter if you’re eating less than you burn in a day.
Fantastic option. I sprinkle a couple of teaspoons of sugar on mine for added health benefits.

Forget it being healthy or not, do what you want to do. Although I haven't lost weight and need to for the past couple of YEARS...
Reply 8
It’s healthy if you compare it to pancakes however if compared to natural yoghurt and fruit then no.

However they are nice
you can lose weight on them , the calories are honestly little but i have a big juicy bowl of them every morninf
Reply 10
Original post by funk controller
If I could down thumb this then I would

oh no, not a thumbs down(!)
Original post by Allie4
oh no, not a thumbs down(!)

I’m saying your comment was stupid and you should refrain from giving diet advice.
Probably not tbh, even though I kinda live off them. Maybe try granola
The new recipe is actually pretty amazing given they taste almost as good as they always have done IMO. I looked it up and a bowl of Coco Pops now contains less than half as much sugar as a bowl of Crunchy Nut, and is basically on a par in terms of sugar with something like Special K. That blew my mind and made me buy a box earlier because I've been avoiding them, now I'll avoid Crunchy Nut that sugar content is insane

https://you-well.co.uk/are-coco-pops-healthy/
https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/all-price-lock/kelloggs-crunchy-nut-720g
https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/kelloggs-coco-pops-375g
most cereal is too sugary, inc Coco Pops and Granola - I think Granola can be worse because it is high sugar and fat

How about Porridge? pretty filling.

Or Eggs? they are suppose to contain stuff that makes you feel full for longer and suppress hunger

Latest