Going into Biology , Chemistry and Maths A-levels !

Watch this thread
Baby_Mama
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I finished my GCSEs and I got a 7 in Biology and chemistry but a 6 in maths. I made a lot of stupid mistakes in the biology exams however I'm not really worried about taking bio as an a-level. Its Chemistry and maths which the trouble arises.
Ive never been good at chemistry and always got 4s and 5s in mocks and assessments. I can't even begin to explain how I managed to get a 7 lol. I did revise tho.
Maths - I've always been less than average since sats yr 10 and yr11 not managing anything higher than a grade 5. I did so much past papers nearer to the exams. It would get to the point where I would rage at maths sometimes. I was 3 marks off a grade 7 currently considering a remark.

Overall I would like to assume that if I put in 100% hardwork in my choices no matter its difficulty I would be rewarded with decent alevel grades.
But I want your opinions. Is maths and chemistry the right choice for me? I am really serious about doing my absolute best.
Scotney
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Baby_Mama)
So I finished my GCSEs and I got a 7 in Biology and chemistry but a 6 in maths. I made a lot of stupid mistakes in the biology exams however I'm not really worried about taking bio as an a-level. Its Chemistry and maths which the trouble arises.
Ive never been good at chemistry and always got 4s and 5s in mocks and assessments. I can't even begin to explain how I managed to get a 7 lol. I did revise tho.
Maths - I've always been less than average since sats yr 10 and yr11 not managing anything higher than a grade 5. I did so much past papers nearer to the exams. It would get to the point where I would rage at maths sometimes. I was 3 marks off a grade 7 currently considering a remark.

Overall I would like to assume that if I put in 100% hardwork in my choices no matter its difficulty I would be rewarded with decent alevel grades.
But I want your opinions. Is maths and chemistry the right choice for me? I am really serious about doing my absolute best.
What degree are you interested in Tbh you are going to struggle with maths A level if you are only getting a 5 in GCSE.
Baby_Mama
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Scotney)
What degree are you interested in Tbh you are going to struggle with maths A level if you are only getting a 5 in GCSE.
Im thinking of doing medicine or something like that. I got a 6 by the way in GCSE.
Scotney
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Im thinking of doing medicine or something like that. I got a 6 by the way in GCSE.
Have a look at Artful Lounger's 'are my grades good enough for :as it gives extensive info about gcse requirements for medicine.
DGeorge13
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 2 years ago

Also - I’m sure you’ll work hard but if medicine is what you want you need 3as at a level minimum and if you got a gcse 6 and didn’t feel that good at the subjects do you think you’ll manage that (it is doable but just something to consider as well as if you enjoy the subjects)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (146)
42.44%
Not yet, but I will soon (62)
18.02%
No (136)
39.53%

Watched Threads