The Student Room Group

Help! A Level Physics or A Level Math?

Which subject holds more importance? Which one can help me on the long run? Which one one's got more university courses supporting it? Which one's harder and got more content?
Maths is super easy, and more important, and it will help you more in the long run, and it can be used for more uni courses.

A level physics is hell.

Original post by jinology
Which subject holds more importance? Which one can help me on the long run? Which one one's got more university courses supporting it? Which one's harder and got more content?
Generally maths is more important and desirable by employers, and applicable to more other degrees. If its a choice between the two then definitely pick maths, as physics without maths isn't great.
Original post by JJJJJAAAAMES
Maths is super easy, and more important, and it will help you more in the long run, and it can be used for more uni courses.

A level physics is hell.

Never say maths a level is easy again lol, maybe AS but A2 is literal hell

Choose both of them. If not, then maths will be the safer option as you'll be at a pretty big disadvantage in physics if you don't study maths alongside it.
Original post by Sososnake

I should have said that I found it easy.

I got a 6 in GCSE maths 2 years ago, and an A in A level maths this year
Reply 6
Original post by Soul Wavel3ngth
Choose both of them. If not, then maths will be the safer option as you'll be at a pretty big disadvantage in physics if you don't study maths alongside it.

I may choose both but I'd then be keeping 4 subjects. Physics, Chemistry Biology and Math. I'm trying my best to narrow it down and choose one between Physics and Math. What do you think?
Original post by JJJJJAAAAMES
I should have said that I found it easy.

I got a 6 in GCSE maths 2 years ago, and an A in A level maths this year

That’s really impressive. I’m aiming for an A* so maybe it’s the pressure that makes me think it’s harder than it is
I may choose both but I'd then be keeping 4 subjects. Physics, Chemistry Biology and Math. I'm trying my best to narrow it down and choose one between Physics and Math. What do you think?

Don’t do 4 subjects and choose maths 😁

What do you want to be in the future? Base your decision on that desired career path.
Reply 10
Don’t do 4 subjects and choose maths 😁

Haha my choice does sound dumb but my school has already put Math has a compulsory 4th subject. Maybe if I kick Physics out, I might be able to narrow it down? Kinda wanna do Chem and Bio too.
Reply 11
Original post by Soul Wavel3ngth
What do you want to be in the future? Base your decision on that desired career path.

I don't have a final decision yet but kinda want to keep my options open for uni. I might do medicine, psychology or something completely different like cybernetics. This degree accepts both Math and Physics, though.
Worried if I dropped Physics (which I got a B in GCSEs) and took Math (got a D), the universities won't accept it?
Haha my choice does sound dumb but my school has already put Math has a compulsory 4th subject. Maybe if I kick Physics out, I might be able to narrow it down? Kinda wanna do Chem and Bio too.

Well I do chemistry biology and maths and it’s a really good combo, maths helps with both and bio and Chem cross over a lot.
I took A levels in Bio, chem and physics and after passing all of them I am retaking the year swapping maths for chem. Maths is more universal, in my opinion physics is great but you can't go into it or engineering without maths.
Reply 14

I'm starting 2nd year a level maths in 2 weeks, thx for the nightmares bro x
Original post by ml55
I'm starting 2nd year a level maths in 2 weeks, thx for the nightmares bro x

I’m in the same boat as you. Haven’t you started A2 yet? We nearly finished the pure book before year 12 was over
Maths is easier in my opinion

Keep this in mind:

You need a good physics teacher you don't really need a good maths teacher, most of it can be self-taught just by doing tonnes of practise (in timed conditions of course) you get better at maths. Make sure you cover the content at a fast pace because there is quite a lot to cover.

Physics is different, you gotta really think outside the box and annotate especially for those nasty 6 markers. But if you use a strategy for each type of question the practice does pay off. Also, you don't really need to be a maths wizard, Logs and rearranging is as hard as it gets for the maths part in physics from what I remember.

BTW I found myself annotating the most useless sh*t because my teacher forced me too, and I thought what the hell is the point.
But it did help A LOT especially on 6 markers.

Quick Reply

Latest