nigii9
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I want to do computer science at uni and beyond. For my A - Levels I have chosen Maths, Further Maths and Computer Science to study. I feel that having physics instead of further maths would help with options available to me. I did very well in all 3, so I'm not sure what to do. I know that Physics is notoriously hard, but if it's worth it then why not?

Thanks
HasanQ585
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Could you not do all 4? If you're doing all of Maths in year 12 and then Further in year 13 it's very manageable
nigii9
Rep:
?
(Original post by HasanQ585)
Could you not do all 4? If you're doing all of Maths in year 12 and then Further in year 13 it's very manageable
I was one point off of qualifying for doing 4 A Levels , due to English Language.
nigii9
Rep:
?
Can I do Further Maths to an AS Level externally?
Anonymouspsych
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nigii9)
Can I do Further Maths to an AS Level externally?
A lot of people do an AS in further and carry on with 3 A levels so that is a viable option for you.
nigii9
Rep:
?
OK, last question. Have people gotten into the top Unis for computer science with Maths Physics and Computer Science, because I fear that external Further Maths will overwhelm me.
Anonymouspsych
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ofc people get in with that combo all the time. I literally have a friend that did that combo and is now doing compsci at Birmingham.
username3973120
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For computer science you're better off doing FM since it's v heavy on the maths. If you apply to oxbridge you'll have to take the same maths test as those applying for maths degrees... (I have a good friend who is applying for computer science)

I do physics, maths and FM (+econ). Physics is really hard for me in terms of understanding what is actually going on. The maths in physics though is somewhat pathetic compared to that of A2 maths...
Anonymouspsych
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
OK, last question. Have people gotten into the top Unis for computer science with Maths Physics and Computer Science, because I fear that external Further Maths will overwhelm me.
It may overwhelm you but it is definitely doable.

I didn't do compsci but I did 4 A levels which were Maths, F Maths, Chemistry and Physics.
bigboateng_
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I want to do computer science at uni and beyond. For my A - Levels I have chosen Maths, Further Maths and Computer Science to study. I feel that having physics instead of further maths would help with options available to me. I did very well in all 3, so I'm not sure what to do. I know that Physics is notoriously hard, but if it's worth it then why not?

Thanks
If its computer science you want to do then drop the physics and do Further maths. Also when you pick further maths try to do decisions modules and the FP stuff. That will you put you at a very high advantage compared to others when you start a computer science degree. The content in decisions maths is also going to broaden your knowledge in algorithms and datastructures, a big topic in computer science that most people dont know until they start the degree but its required to get internships. Generally internship applications are opened in first 3 months that you start university, but your uni wouldnt have thought you these topics yet, so that will get you the advantage to secure internship places which will help you a lot later on!

I'm talking from personal experience, I took Maths, FM, Physics for alevels. I did C1-c4, m1-3, fp1&2, d1&2, s1. from this + some summer python programming i learnt during the summer before uni, it helped me secure internship in google first 3 months of uni , and I wasnt event doing computer science - I took aerospace. but the content in decision maths made me look like a genius in the interviews
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (20)
17.39%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (35)
30.43%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (12)
10.43%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (13)
11.3%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (5)
4.35%
I think it's an unfair expectation (28)
24.35%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
1.74%

Watched Threads