....sam2002
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I wanted to apply to medicine for the 2020 entry, I have done my ucat and my score is below 650 and my band is very low. I understand that I can't apply but my school will still make me apply to university for biomedical sciences, I dont mind doing it as I can get into grad medicine however I was wondering if I did my UCAT before results day next year and got a good UCAT and exam results whether on results day I can decline the potential biomed offers and take a gap year to apply for medicine. Am I allowed to withdraw my offers on results day and if so when I am 19 am I entitled to student finance
Last edited by ....sam2002; 1 year ago
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ....sam2002)
I wanted to apply to medicine for the 2020 entry, I have done my ucat and my score is below 650 and my band is very low. I understand that I can't apply but my school will still make me apply to university for biomedical sciences, I dont mind doing it as I can get into grad medicine however I was wondering if I did my UCAT before results day next year and got a good UCAT and exam results whether on results day I can decline the potential biomed offers and take a gap year to apply for medicine.
You can decline your offers, yes.

Am I allowed to withdraw my offers on results day and if so when I am 19 am I entitled to student finance
Yes, and yes you will be entitled to student finance. In effect you would have just taken a gap year.
libbyt12
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What was your band and your GCSEs as some med schools may still consider you.
....sam2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
You can decline your offers, yes.

Yes, and yes you will be entitled to student finance. In effect you would have just taken a gap year.
even on results day and also what will my school say? they are a very strict school.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
even on results day and also what will my school say? they are a very strict school.
Who cares about your school on results day? It's not as if you're going back.

Do what you want and apply to wherever and for whatever; it's your life / future and not the school's.
libbyt12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
9=1
8=3
7=3
6=2
A=1
C=1
Band 4 but I want to do the UCAT again next year
Ye you'll be fine if you re-do the UCAT
Have you looked into taking a gap year and re-applying for medicine next year??
....sam2002
Rep:
?
I

(Original post by libbyt12)
Ye you'll be fine if you re-do the UCAT
Have you looked into taking a gap year and re-applying for medicine next year??
I was thinking about taking a gap year but I know I will be applying for university for 2020 for biomed, but if I do well in the UCAT and the grades I was hoping to decline the offer and apply for medicine
....sam2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Who cares about your school on results day? It's not as if you're going back.

Do what you want and apply to wherever and for whatever; it's your life / future and not the school's.
on results day if it goes to plan, how do I decline the offer and does this mean I can reapply again also does this look bad on the university I rejected
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
on results day if it goes to plan, how do I decline the offer and does this mean I can reapply again also does this look bad on the university I rejected
You'll need to click on "Decline my place".

This is the process for this year, and I assume will be similar for next year too: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6018164
libbyt12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I

I was thinking about taking a gap year but I know I will be applying for university for 2020 for biomed, but if I do well in the UCAT and the grades I was hoping to decline the offer and apply for medicine
Oh yeah thats 100% fine, UCAS now gives you an option to release yourself from your firm on results day.
....sam2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by libbyt12)
Oh yeah thats 100% fine, UCAS now gives you an option to release yourself from your firm on results day.
and this puts me into clearing right or I can apply next year.
Scotney
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You are free to make a new UCAS application next year.You really need to stop worrying about your school.You are free to do whatever you like.I fail to see why you have to apply to biomed in the first place as you have no interest in doing it.
libbyt12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
both
....sam2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by Scotney)
You are free to make a new UCAS application next year.You really need to stop worrying about your school.You are free to do whatever you like.I fail to see why you have to apply to biomed in the first place as you have no interest in doing it.
so what should I do? because I really want to do medicine but I can't apply to it hence I am using this as a back up?
Scotney
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
so what should I do? because I really want to do medicine but I can't apply to it hence I am using this as a back up?
It is fine if you want to do it .It just came across as the school making you do it.
Olivia1105
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I wanted to apply to medicine for the 2020 entry, I have done my ucat and my score is below 650 and my band is very low. I understand that I can't apply but my school will still make me apply to university for biomedical sciences, I dont mind doing it as I can get into grad medicine however I was wondering if I did my UCAT before results day next year and got a good UCAT and exam results whether on results day I can decline the potential biomed offers and take a gap year to apply for medicine. Am I allowed to withdraw my offers on results day and if so when I am 19 am I entitled to student finance
I know there are a few biomed and similar programmes which fast track the top (x) students onto their medicine course after the first year. Have a look into these as no UCAT required just a lot of hard work in your first year at uni lol! I only know of Newcastle Biomedicine specifically but there are others that my teachers have talked about to me
Scotney
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you want to do medicine and get the required A levels redo UKAT and re apply to medicine next year. Very competitive to go bio med route.
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Olivia1105)
I know there are a few biomed and similar programmes which fast track the top (x) students onto their medicine course after the first year. Have a look into these as no UCAT required just a lot of hard work in your first year at uni lol! I only know of Newcastle Biomedicine specifically but there are others that my teachers have talked about to me
Newcastle still require those wanting to transfer to do the UCAT. You cannot get out of the admissions tests!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (326)
55.82%
I don't have everything I need (258)
44.18%

Watched Threads