The Student Room Group

GCSE Revision

Hi! So I'm about to be in year 10 and I want to start and plan some of my revision. I am aiming for 8's 9's (my targets). Honestly any help on how to revise for specific subjects would be really appreciated as I am drawing a blank on how to approach it.
I am taking 12 GCSES
AQA English Language and Literature
AQA Religious Studies: Christianity and Islam, Themes
AQA Maths
AQA Biology, Chemistry and Physics
Edexcel History: Crime and Punishment, Whitechapel, Henry V111 etc.
Edexcel French
AQA Sociology
AQA Business Studies
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
First of all (obviously) make sure you understand everything you are taught in lessons. You need to not only take it in and remember it, but be able to repeat it in your own words. One of the techniques I found MOST HELPFUL of all near my exams (which they don't tell you about at school) was to EXPLAIN different things I'd learned to other people (eg friends or family- even if they get fed up with you...). I spent the last days before my science exams basically going through the entire CGP books page by page from memory. I don't mean word for word, I mean explaining it to my mum whilst she read it to make sure I covered everything on the page. I got all 9s in science so I can assure you that however painstaking and tedious this may sound, it really worked for me. PLUS, it makes you feel really good for knowing it all and being able to explain it, so its a great confidence booster too. :wink:

The other thing I did a lot of was flashcards (both made by me and the CGP ones) and blurting. If you don't know what blurting is, watch UnJaded Jade's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgrCo1J9A44 which I found sooo helpful.

If you hadn't come across her channel, then I seriously recommend it. BUT; don't obsess over it so much that you start to loose confidence in yourself. She's a great motivator, but watching others with their "perfect" revision techniques and grades isn't always the best way to go and can sometimes leave you feeling like your never doing enough.

Another thing I learned was to KEEP IT VARIED. Don't always revise using the same technique. Eventually your brain will either switch off or you'll start to dread revising. Revising should be something you look forward to doing (or is that just wishful thinking?..).

This turned out to be longer than I expected- sorry if you were only looking for a short answer... if you have any more questions though, just ask :smile:
Good luck with your GCSEs!!
Original post by febreze
Hi! So I'm about to be in year 10 and I want to start and plan some of my revision. I am aiming for 8's 9's (my targets). Honestly any help on how to revise for specific subjects would be really appreciated as I am drawing a blank on how to approach it.
I am taking 12 GCSES
AQA English Language and Literature
AQA Religious Studies: Christianity and Islam, Themes
AQA Maths
AQA Biology, Chemistry and Physics
Edexcel History: Crime and Punishment, Whitechapel, Henry V111 etc.
Edexcel French
AQA Sociology
AQA Business Studies

🙋*♂️

There seems to be a lot to do which you could do with studying hard!!!
However i would focus on getting over 4g in English and maths as thet will enable you to get on A high level course, when going to college.
It is a good idea to start doing some revision from now!!
Get revision books for that subject you will do in year 11.
Also download past papers online to work on like every day.
Never give up - just keep going!!

Hope this helps
Cheers 🙆*♂️😃
Hey, I took my GCSES this year and I’ll list what I did for each subject!!
•Eng lit- I annotated all my poems and memorised both the quotes and the analysis for each poem, I did the same for all my books (just remember analysis), although if you’re really good at analysis, just memorise the quotes!!
•Lang- All I can think of is practice the questions, know the structure of the test AND EAXH QUESTION, e.g. whether you’re making inferences or doing language analysis, I also did practice creative writing.
•RS- I legit wrote all my content out on flash cards and memorised it, this is the way I learn RS the best, although it may not be for everyone, plus I have a fat pile of cards now hahaha. Just as long as you know what you’re talking about and you analysis the strength of each argument you’ll be fine!
•MATHS- maths revision is really essential. If you’re aiming for grade 8/9 maths do “CORBETT MATHS 5 A DAY” which is basically 5 maths questions you need to do everyday, revise maths everyday- well at least that’s what I did- print off all of the topics, highlight the ones you don’t know and do practice questions/videos in them.
•SCIENCE- also fun, I did flash cards for all of the content (be careful tho there is a lot) then to apply that knowledge I went on “PHYSICS AND MATHS TUTOR” only for the sciences tho. It breaks down each topic into subtopics, and has gcse past paper questions and answers, which I can’t stress enough how important it is to learn. You learn the structure to answering questions, WHICH COMES UP EVERY YEAR!!!!!! Memorising mark schemes and their structures is really helpful!

And I didn’t do the rest of your choices but I’m sure you’ll do awesome next year!!! I’m sorry this is so long, but it was hard to condense this advice lol. It worked really well for me and got the grades that I’m super proud of!!
Good luck next year!!:smile:))

Quick Reply

Latest