The Student Room Group

University of Oxford experience as a Muslim

I am a British-Arab from Birmingham and have recently had a place accepted at the University of Oxford for PPE. However, recently I have been having doubts as to whether it is the right place for me. As a Muslim, I don’t drink and, naturally, that means I tend go out with other non-drinkers (so mainly Muslims) rather than going to pubs, clubs, etc. In my hometown, this isn’t a problem as there are many people like me and there are lots of things to do. It also doesn’t seem to be a problem for people I know who have gone to universities like Birmingham or Manchester as there are large Muslim communities there and plenty of things for them to do (like shisha bars, halal restaurants, and other things that are commonly associated with young British-Arabs). My worry about Oxford university is if it is still possible for someone like me to have a lot of enjoyment there? Is there a significant Muslim student population at Oxford, and are there things to do for these students, such as shisha bars, halal restaurants, etc?

Scroll to see replies

Think about the irony in not wanting to drink yet going to shisha bars...
Reply 2
Original post by Muppetress

I don't see the irony?

One is permitted and one isn’t permitted.

(Though in Islam things that harm ur body is bad so I’m not sure on shisha being completely accepted)
Original post by 123asdf098
I am a British-Arab from Birmingham and have recently had a place accepted at the University of Oxford for PPE. However, recently I have been having doubts as to whether it is the right place for me. As a Muslim, I don’t drink and, naturally, that means I tend go out with other non-drinkers (so mainly Muslims) rather than going to pubs, clubs, etc. In my hometown, this isn’t a problem as there are many people like me and there are lots of things to do. It also doesn’t seem to be a problem for people I know who have gone to universities like Birmingham or Manchester as there are large Muslim communities there and plenty of things for them to do (like shisha bars, halal restaurants, and other things that are commonly associated with young British-Arabs). My worry about Oxford university is if it is still possible for someone like me to have a lot of enjoyment there? Is there a significant Muslim student population at Oxford, and are there things to do for these students, such as shisha bars, halal restaurants, etc?

I posted a while back a surprisingly well received freshers guide to uni (Ill be posting it again in the next week, watch tsr for more info when it gets posted).
Reply 5

Ikr, so much logic🥴
Bro come on I’d be so gassed if I got a place at oxford, I’m Muslim too. You have to realise that there will be plenty others in the same position as you and you’ll be able to be friend w them I’m sure. Also there’s lots of halal food around oxford.
Reply 7
Original post by Alayna1234
One is permitted and one isn’t permitted.

(Though in Islam things that harm ur body is bad so I’m not sure on shisha being completely accepted)

One shisha session is equivalent to smoking approximately 200 cigarettes according to recent evidence so, as the above poster said, it’s ironic.
Original post by Bazyli
One shisha session is equivalent to smoking approximately 200 cigarettes according to recent evidence so, as the above poster said, it’s ironic.

Smoking is not haraam tho, at the most it’s makrooh (severely disliked) so smoking would 100% be a better alternative to the drinking and clubs etc that OP is concerned about
Reply 9

There are plenty of freshers at Oxford who do not drink Muslim and non-Muslim.There are so many societies and clubs to join that do not involve drinking that this will only be a problem if you want it to be.This is a new adventure.Go with an open mind!
Reply 10
Original post by Bazyli

"The Department for Health has estimated that the*NHS*spends £3.5 billion a year on*alcohol-related problems."

Hmm.. Not the same about shisha. Shisha is very hard to abuse, unlike alcohol which is abused and ruins the lives of millions. Also, shisha is not intoxicating, it doesnt take you beyond your senses unlike alcohol.

Don't throw strawmans around
(edited 4 years ago)

A quick search found this and this.
I don't really want to say this but there comes a point where it is not wise to follow some of the rules of religion. Ultimately it is your choice but I am sure you have already done this probably in a student loan. Oxford is a really nice place and it caters to all but it may be hard to find things like halal stuff.

I meant nothing here in a disregarding way towards any religions as technically us Catholics can't eat pork for example too but I do :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Nuttyy
"The Department for Health has estimated that the*NHS*spends £3.5 billion a year on*alcohol-related problems."

Hmm.. Not the same about shisha. Shisha is very hard to abuse, unlike alcohol which is abused and ruins the lives of millions. Also, shisha is not intoxicating, it doesnt take you beyond your senses unlike alcohol.

Don't throw strawmans around

Shisha is nowhere near as common here than it is in the Middle East. My point is that it’s extremely damaging to your body so how is it any better than drinking?...
You'll be fine, you wouldn't have made it if it wasn't for you :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Bazyli
Shisha is nowhere near as common here than it is in the Middle East. My point is that it’s extremely damaging to your body so how is it any better than drinking?...

Refer to my comments regarding the negative impact of alcohol in society. You don't see homeless people endulging in shisha lol
(edited 4 years ago)
Oxford have an Isoc
Reply 17
Original post by Nuttyy
Refer to my comments regarding the negative impact of alcohol in society. You don't see homeless people endulging in shisha lol

As I’ve said, shisha is hardly widespread here and I’m sure it’s popular with the homeless Arabs back in the Middle East. It isn’t good for you; it’s worse than smoking and no better than drinking, so I don’t get what your point is?
this is basically every uni
Reply 19
Original post by Bazyli
As I’ve said, shisha is hardly widespread here and I’m sure it’s popular with the homeless Arabs back in the Middle East. It isn’t good for you; it’s worse than smoking and no better than drinking, so I don’t get what your point is?

'no better than drinking'

Care to explain? I've made my point before, you just keep mentioning this and saying it's better than shisha..

I've seen many more lives ruined by alcohol, and very few by shisha. Also, stop mentioning 'back in Middle East', I used to live there, the homeless Arabs cannot even afford shisha, so idk why you baselessly mention its popularity amongst them. From what I remember, they smoke some cheap form of tobacco.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending