a level choices

Watch this thread
ahb386
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hiyaaa
I’m about to start sixth form in like a week ahhh and i’m considrring changing my a level choices

a bit of background:
i’m hoping to study human political and social sciences and cambridge
i got 9s in my a level subjects :sciences , sociology and history
im supposed to be studying sociology history and biology but i’m now doubting my choice of biology
i’m vvvv interested in politics and considering getting into it as a career maybe even as an MP
but i also really enjoy biology
my school is allowing me to take an extra a level but unfortunately i can’t do both biology and politics due to timetable clashes so i have to choose and can’t do politics as a fourth?
im soooo interested in both and probs at a similar skill level for each
do i choose politics which goes best with my other subjects but isn’t facilitating and means loads of essay writing
or do i choose biology which is facilitating and interesting , i also feel like i will miss the sciences as i really enjoy them
help meee
AelinAshryver
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
wow this must be really hard for you! firstly congrats on your results - you'll definitely be a high contender for HSPS at cambridge! have you tried following/ reading some HSPS threads on tsr? you might be able to get an idea of whether politics or bio is more beneficial for getting into cambridge/ applicable for the hsps course.

personally altho there are no specific subject requirements, i'd pick politics. this course is largely more centered toward it and altho politics is not a "facilitating subject" it is a very hard a level and tutors/supervisors will know this!!!

good luck!
ahb386
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by AelinAshryver)
wow this must be really hard for you! firstly congrats on your results - you'll definitely be a high contender for HSPS at cambridge! have you tried following/ reading some HSPS threads on tsr? you might be able to get an idea of whether politics or bio is more beneficial for getting into cambridge/ applicable for the hsps course.

personally altho there are no specific subject requirements, i'd pick politics. this course is largely more centered toward it and altho politics is not a "facilitating subject" it is a very hard a level and tutors/supervisors will know this!!!

good luck!
thanks so much ! this is so helpful xxxx
navlera
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hi! I was in a similar position to you at the start of sixth form - except I was deciding between politics and english literature
I initially chose eng lit but changed to politics after a few weeks since I was worried that if i wanted to apply to a course like HSPS I would need to do politics a level.
Anyways, I applied for HSPS and got accepted this year and personally I would say that politics a level really helped me with the entrance exam & the interviews - I just tried to apply stuff that I learned in class to them and it worked out. I also know some people who didn't take politics but got accepted anyways - they were really interested in politics and would keep up with it in their free time

Ultimately, the main thing is that you choose a subject that you enjoy and are good at, but if this is the case for both politics and biology, and you cant choose between them based off this, from a personal experience I would say that politics a level helped me a lot!
I think you'll be fine no matter what you choose since both subjects are well regarded, and you seem to be very capable based off of your gcse results. Good luck!!!!
YEezzy
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I don't lnow whatr A leebvl to choose my self , i dont know between a level scien or social science
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (59)
34.5%
The paper was reasonable (68)
39.77%
Not feeling great about that exam... (28)
16.37%
It was TERRIBLE (16)
9.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed