Are my A-Level options a good combination?

Watch
GeekyGit
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I plan to take the following A-Levels in September:

A-Level Business Studies
A-Level Geography
A-Level Psychology

Is the subjects that I have listed above a good combination?

I plan to do a degree in accountancy once I finish sixth form.

Many thanks!
Last edited by GeekyGit; 1 year ago
maciek69
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by GeekyGit)

A-Level Business Studies
A-Level Geography
A-Level Psychology

Is the subjects that have I listed above a good combination?

Many thanks!
I think taking maths is really important when it comes to accountancy, but you should make sure with your teacher when you start.
AR_B
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would drop business studies if I were you as it’s regarded as a “soft subject” by many top unis. And as said above you are going to need maths for accountancy
GeekyGit
Rep:
?
(Original post by maciek69)
I think taking maths is really important when it comes to accountancy, but you should make sure with your teacher when you start.
Thanks for the advice!

I did not perform as well as i hoped in the maths exams this summer i sat the Edexcel Higher Paper and came out of it with a Grade 5.
Because of the grade i achieved i wouldn't be able to take A-Level Maths as my sixth form suggested only those who achieved at least a Grade 7 could be enrolled onto the course.
maciek69
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for the advice!

I did not perform as well as i hoped in the maths exams this summer i sat the Edexcel Higher Paper and came out of it with a Grade 5.
Because of the grade i achieved i wouldn't be able to take A-Level Maths as my sixth form suggested only those who achieved at least a Grade 7 could be enrolled onto the course.
Then I feel like accountancy may not be for you since it involes a lot of maths. Maybe you like something else that you would like to do at uni? Plus, a warning, geography is really hard at a-level
GeekyGit
Rep:
?
Then I feel like accountancy may not be for you since it involes a lot of maths. Maybe you like something else that you would like to do at uni? Plus, a warning, geography is really hard at a-level
Thanks for the advice... regardless of how demoralising it was.

Regardless, after looking around at accountancy and finance degrees offered by universities which are part of the Russell group i found that around 1/3 of them do not require A-Level Mathematics to be taken in order to apply for the course.
maciek69
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for the advice... regardless of how demoralising it was.

Regardless, after looking around at accountancy and finance degrees offered by universities which are part of the Russell group i found that around 1/3 of them do not require A-Level Mathematics to be taken in order to apply for the course.
I'm sorry if my advice made you feel bad, all I mea t to do was try to help you out. If you feel like accounting is what you want to do, go for it. Good luck.
GeekyGit
Rep:
?
I'm sorry if my advice made you feel bad, all I mea t to do was try to help you out. If you feel like accounting is what you want to do, go for it. Good luck.
There is no need to apologise.
I appreciate honesty.
The fact that you have taken time out of your evening to reply to my thread to give me valuable advice is so kind in which i am truly thankful for.
username4499734
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Business is most definitely not a “soft” subject and is actually a very open ended degree, if you were to pursue that. Business is similar to accounting in a few aspects so perhaps focus on that? Also don’t do maths if you don’t like it and want to do it just for accounting coz it isn’t worth it. I made that mistake with computing😂
sweatersquig
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Un...ns-Information

^ if you click on ‘subject combinations’ you’ll see a list of preferred and non-preferred subjects
Last edited by sweatersquig; 1 year ago
GeekyGit
Rep:
?
(Original post by OR321)
Business is most definitely not a “soft” subject and is actually a very open ended degree, if you were to pursue that. Business is similar to accounting in a few aspects so perhaps focus on that? Also don’t do maths if you don’t like it and want to do it just for accounting coz it isn’t worth it. I made that mistake with computing😂
Thanks for your advice!
GeekyGit
Rep:
?
(Original post by sweatersquig)
http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Un...ns-Information

^ if you click on ‘subject combinations’ you’ll see a list of preferred and non-preferred subjects
Thanks, i have just had a quick browse on the LSE website in which Business Studies was stated as "non-preferred".
However, i'm startled that they prefer RE over Business Studies!
Abidha
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

A-Level Business Studies
A-Level Geography
A-Level Psychology

Is the subjects that I have listed above a good combination?

Many thanks!
I’m pretty sure you need to do a level maths to do accountancy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (41)
5.9%
Uncertainty around my education (80)
11.51%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (74)
10.65%
Lack of purpose or motivation (89)
12.81%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (37)
5.32%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (40)
5.76%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (74)
10.65%
Financial worries (43)
6.19%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (31)
4.46%
Exposure to negative news/social media (42)
6.04%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (22)
3.17%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (67)
9.64%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (55)
7.91%

Watched Threads