The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If anyone is doing OCR FURTHER MATHS, please explain how hard it is (kinda urgent, there's a deadline :woo:)
Original post by Learning Enni
hi, could someone help me out here, my school has made me do GCSE arabic and I don't know anything, I've been getting grade 2 and unmarked since last year and the school said I can't drop the subject, how do I go about dropping it or should I not. does it look bad of I get a bad grade or if I just don't do a language at all

Can you not aim for a 5/6 at least, because at least you will have passed? 2-4 hours lessons of Arabic would be ideal for GCSE level, imo so you need to explain your struggles to the school.I was supposed to do GCSE Arabic last year but I postponed it, with a bit of convincing my parents and my tutor, as well as my school teachers
Original post by _Mia101
the current year 11 chat thread (19/20)
uhh so GCSE results day 2019 has come and gone and I guess we are technically year 11's now!

welcome to the official year 11 thread for this school year!
this thread is a chance for all of us year 11’s to talk, moan and groan, share a study tips and goals, or just be random (insert crazy)!

hopefully we’ll make some friends (and not enemies) along the way

first of all, let’s all answer these questions so we can get to know a bit more about each other

the quintessential questions

Spoiler

gotta thank @clouddbubbles for this ^^

the subjects you have taken : Maths, English, Triple science, Spanish, History, Sociology

your predicted grades :mostly 7/8's

the grades you want to achieve : 8's and 9's (hopefolly, fingers crossed!)

any grades you may have (if you did any early): -

your plans after year 11 (alevels, college, apprenticeship) : college

what do you want to do in the future? (university, career plans etc.) :

how you’re feeling about starting year 11 : nervous. i get a weird feeling in my stomach when i think about it :/

how you felt about year 10: i wish i could go back :frown:

hobbies and interests : writing, reading, politics

favourite subject :english

most hated subject: science

favourite way to revise: making colourful and informative notes and flash cards.
Reply 183
Heyyyy,
So this is the first time I am in the student room since I just recently joined and I have absolutely no idea how to use it lol XD
Found this thread/forum thing and it really interested me anddd I'm in year 11 so I thought heyyyho lemme join!

Anyways,
At the moment I've settled fine into year 11 but I have a feeling that at exam time I'll start stressing and freaking out.
I'm year 10 I ended up having more fun than I wanted and did not concentrate at all so this is gonna be a strict year for me. I have also only started revising at the beginning of year 11 which is very late so wish me luck .

For my GCSE's I am doing triple science (edexcel), English literature and language (edexcel), maths (edexcel), French (edexcel), sociology (aqa),geography (edexcel) and re.
I am predicted 7/8s but i want to try and get 9's.

All through year 10 I had been getting 7's for my English essays but for my year 10 mocks I failed both of them with a 3, so that has kind of brought my spirit down for English and I can't get out of my mind that I just suck at English in general. Does anyone have any advice??

Also I am contemplating on why I chose french. I used to think I was good at it but honestly now I am terrible. I really struggle revising for French aswell, any ideas??

My favourite subjects are maths and science.
And least favourite (if u haven't already guessed) are English and French.

For a levels I want to do maths, biology and chemistry and if I chose an AS it most likely would be psychology. I want to get into medicine as I've always wanted to be a doctor and I want to attend a Redbrick university aswell.

I don't have a set revision type. It different for each subject. But the one I do the most is re reading over a lot of things until it gets stuck in my head and writing loads of notes or making abbreviations.

Also,
I have no idea what a gyg is 🤣
Original post by Narjis G
Heyyyy,
So this is the first time I am in the student room since I just recently joined and I have absolutely no idea how to use it lol XD
Found this thread/forum thing and it really interested me anddd I'm in year 11 so I thought heyyyho lemme join!

Anyways,
At the moment I've settled fine into year 11 but I have a feeling that at exam time I'll start stressing and freaking out.
I'm year 10 I ended up having more fun than I wanted and did not concentrate at all so this is gonna be a strict year for me. I have also only started revising at the beginning of year 11 which is very late so wish me luck .

For my GCSE's I am doing triple science (edexcel), English literature and language (edexcel), maths (edexcel), French (edexcel), sociology (aqa),geography (edexcel) and re.
I am predicted 7/8s but i want to try and get 9's.

All through year 10 I had been getting 7's for my English essays but for my year 10 mocks I failed both of them with a 3, so that has kind of brought my spirit down for English and I can't get out of my mind that I just suck at English in general. Does anyone have any advice??

Also I am contemplating on why I chose french. I used to think I was good at it but honestly now I am terrible. I really struggle revising for French aswell, any ideas??

My favourite subjects are maths and science.
And least favourite (if u haven't already guessed) are English and French.

For a levels I want to do maths, biology and chemistry and if I chose an AS it most likely would be psychology. I want to get into medicine as I've always wanted to be a doctor and I want to attend a Redbrick university aswell.

I don't have a set revision type. It different for each subject. But the one I do the most is re reading over a lot of things until it gets stuck in my head and writing loads of notes or making abbreviations.

Also,
I have no idea what a gyg is 🤣

For English (literature) you should do as many practice questions as you can. You could also watch Mr Bruff and/or Mr Salles. They are really useful.
For language it is mainly practice. Because you do Edexcel and not AQA, Mr Bruff's language videos may not be relevant to you.
For French, use Quizlet to learn vocab and from grammar you really just have to work at it. You could get the CGP grammar workbook if you wanted to do some practice.

A gyg is a blog where you post about your school life and stuff. It stands for Grow your Grades.
Original post by lntrns
Ah I'm a little bit further ahead but that's because my school rearraged the specification to make it easier to teach! I think physics is my favourite and the one I understand the most because it's just maths, though I love each science quite a lot and want to go into biochemistry because there's just not enough money in physics. We're on non-communicable diseases (B6) in bio and I think we're on C5 in chem but I have no idea because they've chopped and changed it around so much. We've actually nearly finished physics before the other two in my triple class! I have a end of topic test about space (from P8 global challenges) next week and then I think we finish the first part of P8 and start revision. If you want any help with physics PM me! What are your target grades?

Original post by smokeybaconlivi
ayyyee ma homie:grin: erm im finding it okay. for biology we have done B1, B2 B3 and B4 and we just started B5 which is like genes and that. my fav science is bio and chem and in chemistry we have done a bit of C5 but having to go over it a lot as we have some people in our class that have moved up from set 2 and they didn't learn that part of the course. physics i find the hardest, not only do i find it hard to understand but its confusing and there's SOOO many topics?!?!? there's like a P8?! rather than just 6 topics and a practical activity topics (like C7 or B7). what about youself?:tongue:

What! I am doing AQA Triple science (I'm in yr 10) and we have only done B1, B2, P1, P2, C1, C2. Our school started the 2 chapters of triple sciences at the end of yr 9. Right now we around doing the 3rd chapters in chemistry and biology but the 6th chapter in physics. It is very confusing in physics as I thought we would start on P3.
Original post by D_Patel14
What! I am doing AQA Triple science (I'm in yr 10) and we have only done B1, B2, P1, P2, C1, C2. Our school started the 2 chapters of triple sciences at the end of yr 9. Right now we around doing the 3rd chapters in chemistry and biology but the 6th chapter in physics. It is very confusing in physics as I thought we would start on P3.

I looked at the AQA physics chapters and perhaps it's because your school assumes particle model of matter, atomic structure and forces are easier chapters that you already have some understanding of from years 7-9 or general knowledge? However I would definitely recommend asking your physics teacher as this does seem rather odd as for P4-P8 (at least in OCR Gateway) it requires an understanding of P1-P4 to apply in different areas.
wooww so there's been another y11 thread all this time. I was waiting for notifications from the last one and was bare confused as to why no one was talking on it but I guess this explains it
Original post by _Mia101
the current year 11 chat thread (19/20)
uhh so GCSE results day 2019 has come and gone and I guess we are technically year 11's now!

welcome to the official year 11 thread for this school year!
this thread is a chance for all of us year 11’s to talk, moan and groan, share a study tips and goals, or just be random (insert crazy)!

hopefully we’ll make some friends (and not enemies) along the way

first of all, let’s all answer these questions so we can get to know a bit more about each other

the quintessential questions

Spoiler

gotta thank @clouddbubbles for this ^^

The subjects you have taken : English Language, English Literature, Higher Maths, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Art, Spanish, Computer Science, Drama

your predicted grades : (in the same order as the subjects I've listed above) - 7, 6, 6,/7, 6, 6/7, 7/8, 7/8, 5/6, 6

the grades you want to achieve : Grade 6,7, 8 and 9

any grades you may have (if you did any early): None yet.

your plans after year 11 (alevels, college, apprenticeship) : College and to do a Law Apprenticeship as well.

what do you want to do in the future? (university, career plans etc.) : Barrister

how you’re feeling about starting year 11 : Excited (I'm HEAD GIRL) Trying not to think about my GCSE'S!

how you felt about year 10: I should of kept all of my revision! Big mistake!

hobbies and interests : Love to draw, listen to my music on full blast and dance (being free and being myself), playing with my guinea pigs, doing my homework (IKR!) and making new friends (talking to nice people who understand me).

favourite subjects : Art, Spanish, Chemistry, Drama and English Language.

most hated subject: Computer Science

favourite way to revise: Mind map/ revision videos/ flashcards and past papers.
The subjects you have taken : compulsory plus history economics RE and French
your predicted grades: English and french - 7 sciences - 5(srsly don't know why its so low cos I never did ks2 sats on it and im in triple science) everything else 6
the grades you want to achieve: 7's and 8's
your plans after year 11: a levels then uni but idk what I wanna do
how you’re feeling about starting year 11: excited to finally be the year all the other years are scared of lmao but ofc nervous about the exam aspect cos I really don't wanna under achieve and disappoint myself and parents
how you felt about year 10: did relatively well in some subjects in mocks but really disappointed with a few but that was mainly bcz of poor time management from me and so I didn't have time to revise all subjects
hobbies and interests: football, video games, youtube and reading infinite memes on insta
favourite subjects: economics biology, maths
most hated subject: English English English and English
favourite way to revise: youtube vids, mind maps, flashcards and past papers
the subjects you have taken : Combined Science, Maths, English Language and Literature, RS, Geography, Btec level 2 creative media production, FSMQ
your predicted grades : Mainly 7'sthe grades you want to achieve : few 8's and rest 7'sany grades you may have (if you did any early): N/A
your plans after year 11 (alevels, college, apprenticeship) : a levelswhat do you want to do in the future? (university, career plans etc.) : universityhow you’re feeling about starting year 11 : I have already started and it is quite nerve racking because of the exams!
how you felt about year 10: It went OK
hobbies and interests :Videogames
favourite subject : Maths
most hated subject: English
favourite way to revise: Practice questions
if you have a gyg blog feel free to share that too, here : N/A
Also do you guys know if 7 gcses are enough for further education in top unis/schools?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Rolo1234
the subjects you have taken : Combined Science, Maths, English Language and Literature, RS, Geography, Btec level 2 creative media production, FSMQ
your predicted grades : Mainly 7'sthe grades you want to achieve : few 8's and rest 7'sany grades you may have (if you did any early): N/A
your plans after year 11 (alevels, college, apprenticeship) : a levelswhat do you want to do in the future? (university, career plans etc.) : universityhow you’re feeling about starting year 11 : I have already started and it is quite nerve racking because of the exams!
how you felt about year 10: It went OK
hobbies and interests :Videogames
favourite subject : Maths
most hated subject: English
favourite way to revise: Practice questions
if you have a gyg blog feel free to share that too, here : N/A
Also do you guys know if 7 gcses are enough for further education in top unis/schools?

do you do OCR creative imedia?!?! the cambridge national one?
Original post by smokeybaconlivi
do you do OCR creative imedia?!?! the cambridge national one?

btec
yall im kinda freaking like ive been dropped from separates and now in combined idk why i though i did pretty well and all the people who cheated got to stay like wth
Original post by Taz554:-)
yall im kinda freaking like ive been dropped from separates and now in combined idk why i though i did pretty well and all the people who cheated got to stay like wth

Dont worry its not that big of a deal except you get 1 less GCSE. Do you want to do a science related degree or a level? If not it wont matter honestly, just do your best:smile:. Also think about it you would need to less revision!
Original post by Rolo1234
Dont worry its not that big of a deal except you get 1 less GCSE. Do you want to do a science related degree or a level? If not it wont matter honestly, just do your best:smile:. Also think about it you would need to less revision!

yeah i really want to do medicine/dentistry at uni and bio/chem at a level and im scared i wont be able to be moved back up because they have started with the seps stuff in all subjects as they covered combined mostly last year. a load of people even cheated and revised the mark cheme and even with the teachers knowing they were able to stay idk why tho hsbhs thank you tho!
yeah i really want to do medicine/dentistry at uni and bio/chem at a level and im scared i wont be able to be moved back up because they have started with the seps stuff in all subjects as they covered combined mostly last year. a load of people even cheated and revised the mark cheme and even with the teachers knowing they were able to stay idk why tho hsbhs thank you tho!

you should still be able to do a level sciences with double. I also think you should speak to your teacher and parents.
Original post by _Mia101
Hallo:danceboy:

I'm taking:

Spoiler

I already have a grade 9 in maths

After year 11: I plan to go to a sixth form and do biology, chemistry, maths and further maths/ economics/ physics (four subjects are compulsory for me in year 12)

How you are feeling about starting year 11: Not gonna lie, I'm actually not that worried, I feel like this year is going to be so much better than last year.

How you felt about year 10: It was meh.:dry:

Hobbies and interests: I play the piano and clarinet, I used to swim competitively (stopped last year) and I find medical diseases intriguing

Favourite subject: was maths because I found it so easy... now I don't do it so I'd say probably biology (outside of school, I don't particularly get on with my teacher)

Least favourite subject (s): History and french

Favourite way to revise: past papers and essay plans

GYG Blog: my way through the mishaps

wowow you are well smart! congratulations on achieving these! your gonna ace GCSE
i have a question, do you have to take a humanities subject as an option for GCSE?

You don't really need separate sciences but it would be an advantage but just do what you can and good luck with your academic future:smile:

Latest