The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alyssaww
hi! i'm taking the core subjects plus economics, history, mandarin and photography!

your predicted grades (8 is the highest for my school, except for photography which goes up to 9)
maths 8
english 7
science 8
mandarin 7
economics 7
history 8
photography 8

the grades you want to achieve :
maths 8
english 8
science 8
mandarin 7
economics 8
history 8
photography 9

i plan to continue with a levels then uni!

what do you want to do in the future? (university, career plans etc.) : not sure yet! but i'm really interested in psychology

how you’re feeling about starting year 11 : really nervous but excited to get gcses done!

how you felt about year 10: a bit stressful but fun on the most part!

hobbies and interests : photography, swimming, video editing! i recently tried out basketball and it's really fun but im not great at it ahha

favourite subject : photography/maths

most hated subject: none, but i find english the hardest

favourite way to revise: past papers!

if you have a gyg blog feel free to share that too, here : i dont, what is it?

This is my GYG: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6110484
Original post by _Mia101
thanks!!

I asked at boots today and they said bring in a CV and they'll see if I can get a part time job!! :biggrin:
ayyy, i just got tsr this summer after years of lurking- here's my gyg where you can find all the info
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6075920&p=85051526&page=2#post85051526

so excited for year 11 and to get gcses over and done with (my, my, how i will come to regret that sentiment)
Original post by lelebaz123
hiya I'm taking: obviously all the core subjects but my choices are triple science, geography, French, Arabic, music, re, further maths and statistics I'm predicted all 8s I want to get all 9s or as close to as possible ive gotten an a* already in Arabic I want to go to 6th form to study biology chemistry maths and further maths so I can go to medical school I'm so scared for year 11 it's actually ridiculous At the start of year 10 i was pretty relaxed until Christmas when i actually realised how scary GCSEs actually are then i turned into the nervous wreck that i am today I love gymnastics, horse riding, music, reading, netball my fave subject is Biology and Chemistry (not physics, that subject can just go and die) I hate English I revise different ways for different subjects but mainly auditory

How are predicted grades determined?
my school do a YELLIS test at the beginning of Year 10, and a MidYIS at the beginning of year 7 (sort of IQ/proficiency), but they change, idk about other schools though :frown:
Our predicted grades are based off our SATs tests in year 6 which I personally think is pretty stupid 😂
Original post by alyssaww
hi! i'm taking the core subjects plus economics, history, mandarin and photography!

your predicted grades (8 is the highest for my school, except for photography which goes up to 9)
maths 8
english 7
science 8
mandarin 7
economics 7
history 8
photography 8

the grades you want to achieve :
maths 8
english 8
science 8
mandarin 7
economics 8
history 8
photography 9

i plan to continue with a levels then uni!

what do you want to do in the future? (university, career plans etc.) : not sure yet! but i'm really interested in psychology

how you’re feeling about starting year 11 : really nervous but excited to get gcses done!

how you felt about year 10: a bit stressful but fun on the most part!

hobbies and interests : photography, swimming, video editing! i recently tried out basketball and it's really fun but im not great at it ahha

favourite subject : photography/maths

most hated subject: none, but i find english the hardest

favourite way to revise: past papers!

if you have a gyg blog feel free to share that too, here : i dont, what is it?

how do you revise past papers? :smile:
Original post by Kieron Amoako

SATs from year 6
Reply 68
Subjects I've taken (predicted grades)
English Lang. (7)
English Lit. (8)
Maths (8)
Art (6)
Child Development (L2D*)
Chemistry (7)
French (9)
Geography (9)
Physics (7-)
RE (7)

your plans after year 11 : I plan to go to college but I have no idea what I want to be as like a career or job so I have no clue what a levels to take and I don't know if I want to go to uni and don't want to choose the wrong a levels and not be able to go to uni if I choose to (I know I'm so indecisive)

what do you want to do in the future? (university, career plans etc.) : hahahahah how would I know I feel like im way too young to be deciding my future

how you’re feeling about starting year 11: Quite scared but glad that school is nearly over but then thats quite sad too... mixed emotions but mainly scared

how you felt about year 10: BEST SCHOOL YEAR EVER! I made so many friends that I think actually like me :smile:

hobbies and interests: Art like painting or drawing, reading

favourite subject: English Lit. (However my physics class is amazing and so funny but I hate the subject :wink:)

most hated subject: Physics or maths

favourite way to revise: flashcards or past papers

I really want to make friends with at least one person so I can compare and relate to them, hope you guys have a good year 11!!
Original post by amy2779
English Lang. (7)
English Lit. (8)
Maths (8)
Art (6)
Child Development (L2D*)
Chemistry (7)
French (9)
Geography (9)
Physics (7-)
RE (7)

your plans after year 11 : I plan to go to college but I have no idea what I want to be as like a career or job so I have no clue what a levels to take and I don't know if I want to go to uni and don't want to choose the wrong a levels and not be able to go to uni if I choose to (I know I'm so indecisive)

what do you want to do in the future? (university, career plans etc.) : hahahahah how would I know I feel like im way too young to be deciding my future

how you’re feeling about starting year 11: Quite scared but glad that school is nearly over but then thats quite sad too... mixed emotions but mainly scared

how you felt about year 10: BEST SCHOOL YEAR EVER! I made so many friends that I think actually like me :smile:

favourite subject: English Lit. (However my physics class is amazing and so funny but I hate the subject :wink:)

I really want to make friends with at least one person so I can compare and relate to them, hope you guys have a good year 11!!

we've taken similar subjects:smile: what exam boards are you doing so we can compare
the subjects you have taken : [All higher]
- AQA Spanish
- AQA Biology
- AQA Chemistry
- AQA Physics
- AQA History [Conflict and tension in Europe, Germany, Elizabeth, Health and the people]
- AQA English Lit [Blood brothers, Jekyll and Hyde, Macbeth, Love and Relationships for poetry]
- AQA English Language
- AQA RE
- Edexcel Maths
- Computer Science [No idea what exam board]

your predicted grades: 8s and 9s for most subjects

the grades you want to achieve : I want 9s in all three sciences, maths and history, but I'd be thrilled with 7s in everything else

your plans after year 11 (alevels, college, apprenticeship): Hoping to get into the sixth form at my current school and take maths, biology and chemistry. If I decide to take 4 A-levels, I'd like to do history too, or physics

what do you want to do in the future? (university, career plans etc.): I'd like to study veterinary medicine at uni, but I'm not sure where just yet

how you’re feeling about starting year 11: Nervous, but looking forward to having the routine of school again. Wishing I'd done the summer homework sooner

how you felt about year 10: Year 10 went ok - my mocks were good. Wish I'd revised more and made more revision materials for this year. One of my best friends moved schools this year, which was difficult, but I've made some new friends and ditched some people who would only have a negative effect on me this year! :u:

hobbies and interests: Reading, writing, listening to music and jigsaws.

favourite subject: Definitely biology. My teacher this year was an absolute angel :angelwings: and even though I won't have her for y11, I know the teacher I have now is great too.
most hated subject: SPANISH. I was forced into taking spanish by my school and it meant I could only take 2 options rather than 3. I find it very stressful and my teacher is terrible and doesn't like me, which makes it worse

favourite way to revise: Flashcards for science, mindmaps for history. I use GCSE pod quite a bit too

if you have a gyg blog feel free to share that too, here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6115856
I don't know if I already commented on this, but I'm taking:

AQA Physics
AQA Biology
AQA Chemistry
AQA French
AQA English Literature
AQA English Language
Edexcel Maths
Edexcel Arabic
Edexcel History
OCR Economics

My GYG: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6115740

I start school on Tuesday :frown: And I can't wait to go 6th form tbh, let's all smash GCSEs 2020 :biggrin:
Original post by amy2779
English Lang. (7)
English Lit. (8)
Maths (8)
Art (6)
Child Development (L2D*)
Chemistry (7)
French (9)
Geography (9)
Physics (7-)
RE (7)

omg can you help me with French? xx
Reply 73
Subjects I've taken:
-Maths (predicted 9)
-English Literature (predicted 8 which is too high for me as it is my most difficult subject)
-English (predicted 8 but it's a little easier)
-Seperate science
•Biology (predicted 9)
•Chemistry (predicted 9)
•Physics (Predicted 9)
-,History (predicted 9)
-Business (predicted 9)
-German (predicted 8 which is also too high [for anyone else doing German I'm sure u know what I mean])
-RE (predicted 9 but mucked around in the exam so got a 5)

What do you want to achieve?
hmm...all 9's maybe? Haven't revised at all this summer but I've got a stackload of summer homework from every subject and only started today😬
I detest English literature and I couldn't fathom the thought of me revising for it for 10 minutes straight but it seems I have no choice;I NEED that 9
No sweat with science tho.i get straight 9's in all 3, easy
But German is a whole other story😞

What's the next step after year 11?
Sixth Form or straight to an overseas uni-maybe China (For the freedom!🤘)
For sixth form I'll probably do: Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Economics (maybe further maths or physics as well)

I'll go Uni to do medicine.
My career plan right now is a Neurosurgeon (brain surgeon) because:
-I've always liked treating people
-I like gore
-It isn't one of the 90% of jobs that will be taken over by robots in the future
-Probably a useful skill in the apocalypse?
-And finally the most important reason: 💰 (jk, but it is one of the reasons why tho)

How are you feeling about starting year 11?
Calm....maybe too calm?hmmm, is that a good or bad thing I wonder? 🤔
But also excited as there is only one more year until I can enjoy the luxury that is sleeping for 3/4 of the day.
But at the same time sad cos it's probably the last year I'll ever see some of my friends.😟

What do you do outside of school?
Apart from this, sleeping and playing games?Nothing.Absolutely nothing

Favourite subject?
Maths, I love the problem solving and the fact that there is always 1 answer only and is purely factual and not based on opinion (I'm looking at you English 😠) and also the joy of working out a hard problem is sometimes worth putting hours of effort and thought into (yes, I once spent about 6 hours straight on an equation and refused to let myself look on the internet on how to do it)

worst subject?
English and English literature.THE most detestable subject man could ever put on the curriculum.I see absolutely no point in doing all this analysis crap.I struggle to see how this would be of any use to my future and why it is a core subject.Of course part of the reason why a present such fury towards it is cos it's the one subject I'm not particularly good at.

Are you doing GYG Blog this year?
If there's money and expensive prizes up for grabs,I'm in!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by wagwanG
Subjects I've taken:
-Maths (predicted 9)
-English Literature (predicted 8 which is too high for me as it is my most difficult subject)
-English (predicted 8 but it's a little easier)
-Seperate science
•Biology (predicted 9)
•Chemistry (predicted 9)
•Physics (Predicted 9)
-,History (predicted 9)
-Business (predicted 9)
-German (predicted 8 which is also too high [for anyone else doing German I'm sure u know what I mean])
-RE (predicted 9 but mucked around in the exam so got a 5)

What do you want to achieve?
hmm...all 9's maybe? Haven't revised at all this summer but I've got a stackload of summer homework from every subject and only started today😬
I detest English literature and I couldn't fathom the thought of me revising for it for 10 minutes straight but it seems I have no choice;I NEED that 9
No sweat with science tho.i get straight 9's in all 3, easy
But German is a whole other story😞

Sixth Form or straight to an overseas uni-maybe China (For the freedom!🤘)
For sixth form I'll probably do: Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Economics (maybe further maths or physics as well)

I'll go Uni to do medicine.
My career plan right now is a Neurosurgeon (brain surgeon) because:
-I've always liked treating people
-I like gore
-It isn't one of the 90% of jobs that will be taken over by robots in the future
-Probably a useful skill in the apocalypse?
-And finally the most important reason: 💰 (jk, but it is one of the reasons why tho)

How are you feeling about starting year 11?
Calm....maybe too calm?hmmm, is that a good or bad thing I wonder? 🤔
But also excited as there is only one more year until I can enjoy the luxury that is sleeping for 3/4 of the day.
But at the same time sad cos it's probably the last year I'll ever see some of my friends.😟

What do you do outside of school?
Apart from this, sleeping and playing games?Nothing.Absolutely nothing

Favourite subject?
Maths, I love the problem solving and the fact that there is always 1 answer only and is purely factual and not based on opinion (I'm looking at you English 😠) and also the joy of working out a hard problem is sometimes worth putting hours of effort and thought into (yes, I once spent about 6 hours straight on an equation and refused to let myself look on the internet on how to do it)

worst subject?
English and English literature.THE most detestable subject man could ever put on the curriculum.I see absolutely no point in doing all this analysis crap.I struggle to see how this would be of any use to my future and why it is a core subject.Of course part of the reason why a present such fury towards it is cos it's the one subject I'm not particularly good at.

Are you doing GYG Blog this year?
If there's money and expensive prizes up for grabs,I'm in!

pleeease teach me how you get 9s in science and math 😰🙏
Original post by Kieron Amoako

It depends on your school, mine uses CAT test scores.
Reply 76
Original post by neurosurgically
my school do a YELLIS test at the beginning of Year 10, and a MidYIS at the beginning of year 7 (sort of IQ/proficiency), but they change, idk about other schools though :frown:

We did Yellis in y6,7 and 9. Think they’re kinda pointless tho because they don’t give an all round review of your knowledge, only cores.
Original post by SmartUnicorn
how do you revise past papers? :smile:

i just search up past papers for all my subjects and do them! :smile:
Reply 78

It's probably different for everyone but I just watch videos on a website you may not have heard of and write key information cos the information wouldn't go in if I just watched it and didn't do anything else.If writing it down doesn't work for you try just watching or repeating the video a second time and predict what they are going to say or tell you.After that I do multiple choice questions on that video (on the same website) which is usually about five questions.Then I do past paper questions for that specific lesson/video (which is also provided on the same site) and mark them myself.This was by far the most helpful bit cos my weakpoint was usually answering what the question was actually asking me.Each lesson took me about 30 mins.You could also use the free science lessons videos on YouTube cos the site I'm using is paid (my one ,which is the triple science course, is £50 for a whole school year . Which is wayyyy cheaper than tuition for a year.)but I didn't really like free science lessons cos the videos were inconsistent.

For maths I just completed the CGP revision and practice book to get everything into my head.After I finished all the practice in the book I went to a website called My maths and did as much past papers I could do (I ended up only doing 2) in a quite place and most importantly TIMED myself this was crucial as it was my weakpoint for maths.I answered all the questions and then marked them using only the final answer.Questions I got wrong I tried working out myself and if it was futile and I didn't understand,My maths had a video for each question in the paper.

That's how *I* (different people have different revision methods that work for them) got an 8 in maths (quite a few people cheated and made the grade boundaries higher) and 9 in all sciences
(edited 4 years ago)

I got 5 As at AS (Cant get A* yet!) if you want I can link you my youtube for Maths and possibly science. only just starting but taking any requests on videos you want tutorials on.

Latest