The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SmartUnicorn
I asked at boots today and they said bring in a CV and they'll see if I can get a part time job!! :biggrin:

Lucky you! Is it a big store or a smaller branch?
Original post by wagwanG
It's probably different for everyone but I just watch videos on a website you may not have heard of and write key information cos the information wouldn't go in if I just watched it and didn't do anything else.If writing it down doesn't work for you try just watching or repeating the video a second time and predict what they are going to say or tell you.After that I do multiple choice questions on that video (on the same website) which is usually about five questions.Then I do past paper questions for that specific lesson/video (which is also provided on the same site) and mark them myself.This was by far the most helpful bit cos my weakpoint was usually answering what the question was actually asking me.Each lesson took me about 30 mins.You could also use the free science lessons videos on YouTube cos the site I'm using is paid (my one ,which is the triple science course, is £50 for a whole school year . Which is wayyyy cheaper than tuition for a year.)but I didn't really like free science lessons cos the videos were inconsistent.

For maths I just completed the CGP revision and practice book to get everything into my head.After I finished all the practice in the book I went to a website called My maths and did as much past papers I could do (I ended up only doing 2) in a quite place and most importantly TIMED myself this was crucial as it was my weakpoint for maths.I answered all the questions and then marked them using only the final answer.Questions I got wrong I tried working out myself and if it was futile and I didn't understand,My maths had a video for each question in the paper.

That's how *I* (different people have different revision methods that work for them) got an 8 in maths (quite a few people cheated and made the grade boundaries higher) and 9 in all sciences

Thankyou!! :smile:

Original post by Ed_Harris111
I got 5 As at AS (Cant get A* yet!) if you want I can link you my youtube for Maths and possibly science. only just starting but taking any requests on videos you want tutorials on.

yes please! :smile:
Original post by SlightlySummer
Lucky you! Is it a big store or a smaller branch?

quite big! :smile:
yes please! :smile:

no wait this is the wrong reply ahh this app in confusing
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by wagwanG
It's probably different for everyone but I just watch videos on a website you may not have heard of and write key information cos the information wouldn't go in if I just watched it and didn't do anything else.If writing it down doesn't work for you try just watching or repeating the video a second time and predict what they are going to say or tell you.After that I do multiple choice questions on that video (on the same website) which is usually about five questions.Then I do past paper questions for that specific lesson/video (which is also provided on the same site) and mark them myself.This was by far the most helpful bit cos my weakpoint was usually answering what the question was actually asking me.Each lesson took me about 30 mins.You could also use the free science lessons videos on YouTube cos the site I'm using is paid (my one ,which is the triple science course, is £50 for a whole school year . Which is wayyyy cheaper than tuition for a year.)but I didn't really like free science lessons cos the videos were inconsistent.

For maths I just completed the CGP revision and practice book to get everything into my head.After I finished all the practice in the book I went to a website called My maths and did as much past papers I could do (I ended up only doing 2) in a quite place and most importantly TIMED myself this was crucial as it was my weakpoint for maths.I answered all the questions and then marked them using only the final answer.Questions I got wrong I tried working out myself and if it was futile and I didn't understand,My maths had a video for each question in the paper.

That's how *I* (different people have different revision methods that work for them) got an 8 in maths (quite a few people cheated and made the grade boundaries higher) and 9 in all sciences

which website?
Hey, soooo
I've taken taken geography, textiles, art, and German along with everything else.
My predicted grades are like a 5 in everything apart from the odd 6.
From my end of year 10 results which were honestly tragic i would be happy with grade 5`s in everything but i would love grades 6 in most.
In July 2020 after school i am going on a 3 week expedition to Borneo which is going to be insane. Then i want to go to college where i`m definitely taking geography and psychology, not sure what else yet.
I`m one of those people who doesn't like thinking too far into the future so absolutely no plans after that.
I am stressed at the thought of year 11 as i know i cant be the same and have the same attitude i`ve had all through school.
I dont really have a favourite subject but i do like geography and environmental activism. And i only hate maths because i always get ungraded in every test... so no surprise in me saying i have no favourite way to revise as i dont revise because i know it sounds stupid but i don`t know `how` to? Hence why ive joined to see if anyone can give me some advice
Reply 86
quite big! :smile:

what did you do? did you just walk in and ask?
Reply 87
hm
(edited 4 years ago)
Who has revised this summer?!!
Original post by Lucy20003dya

Not as much as I should have:sigh:

barely:nope:

None other than the homework I was set for summer, which I'm starting to regret. :unimpressed:
I did begin making lists of the topics on the syllabus for some subjects, so I can tick off the things I know when I'm revising but I only got that far :laugh:
Original post by wagwanG
what did you do? did you just walk in and ask?

yeah, I said my friend told me they were hiring 15 year olds and they said bring in a CV and they'll see what they can do
What exam board are you using for mandarin? Also how are you finding it? I am also doing mandarin but I find it quite difficult!

Original post by alyssaww
hi! i'm taking the core subjects plus economics, history, mandarin and photography!

your predicted grades (8 is the highest for my school, except for photography which goes up to 9)
maths 8
english 7
science 8
mandarin 7
economics 7
history 8
photography 8

the grades you want to achieve :
maths 8
english 8
science 8
mandarin 7
economics 8
history 8
photography 9

i plan to continue with a levels then uni!

what do you want to do in the future? (university, career plans etc.) : not sure yet! but i'm really interested in psychology

how you’re feeling about starting year 11 : really nervous but excited to get gcses done!

how you felt about year 10: a bit stressful but fun on the most part!

hobbies and interests : photography, swimming, video editing! i recently tried out basketball and it's really fun but im not great at it ahha

favourite subject : photography/maths

most hated subject: none, but i find english the hardest

favourite way to revise: past papers!

if you have a gyg blog feel free to share that too, here : i dont, what is it?
Is anyone doing Edexcel igcse history?
Is anyone doing Edexcel igcse history?

i do.:itsme:
what topics do you do?
Can anyone tell me what the difference beteeen gcse and igcse is like I’ve never heard of igcse until this week 😂😂
Original post by Year11Student:)
Can anyone tell me what the difference beteeen gcse and igcse is like I’ve never heard of igcse until this week 😂😂

they are pretty much the same imo. There are 2 exam boards afaik: Cambridge and Edexcel.
I don't know about Cambridge, but Edexcel IGCSE syllabus is almost identical to the GCSE syllabus, but the style of exam questions are different.

IGCSE's are used outside of the UK and in private schools.
he subjects you have taken : (apart from Core) Geog Spanish Food Tech RS

your predicted grades : Maths: 6
English Lang: 7
Lit: 8
Chem: 7
physics: 7
Biology: 7
Geography: 7
RS: 7
Spanish: 7
Food: 7

the grades you want to achieve :Maths: 7
English Lang: 8
Lit: 9
Chem: 7
physics: 7
Biology: 8
Geography: 8
RS: 8
Spanish: 8
Food: 9

any grades you may have (if you did any early):

your plans after year 11 (alevels, college, apprenticeship) : bio,chem,maths

what do you want to do in the future? (university, career plans etc.) : Dentistry/med

how you’re feeling about starting year 11 : scared (a bit) interested and a bit apprehensive

how you felt about year 10: i was lazyyy sloppy and didnt revise at all if enough used to wing exams too much

hobbies and interests : dance, art beauty really love music e.g Kpop. rnb, hiphop and pop

favourite subject : prolly geog or rs

most hated subject: SPANISH

favourite way to revise: flashcards/mindmaps/memorising notes

nice to meet everyone im Taz! Looking forward to getting to know you guys and sharing our last year at High School with you guys :smile: dont hesitate to pm me if you want to talk. Thinking of making gc on sc or insta if anyone is interested hehe
the subjects you have taken :
biology
chemistry
physics
english lit
english lang
maths
further maths
history
geography
business studies
art

your predicted grades : from y10 - most will have gone up a grade

biology 8

chemistry 8

physics 8

english lit 7

english lang 7

maths 8

further maths 8

history 8

geography 8

business studies 8

art 6

the grades you want to achieve :

biology 9

chemistry 9

physics 9

english lit 8

english lang 8

maths 9

further maths 9

history 9

geography 9

business studies 9

art 8

any grades you may have (if you did any early): nope

your plans after year 11 (alevels, college, apprenticeship) : a levels at college : definitely maths maybe physics maybe chemistry maybe economics maybe further maths

what do you want to do in the future? (university, career plans etc.) : possibly economics at university or engineering

how you’re feeling about starting year 11 : not excited but hopefully good results at the end

how you felt about year 10: Hated it

hobbies and interests : Cricket, XBOX, Football, Piano, Swimming

favourite subject : Maths

most hated subject: English Lit

favourite way to revise: Write out notes then memorise

if you have a gyg blog feel free to share that too, here :

Latest