Parents trying to ground me even tho I am 18??

Watch
Nomad00
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I went out clubbing for the first time the other day and I kept my parents up to date with where I was and my dad said to come home with my friends so I did and got in at 4am. He then said that I'm never allowed to go out that late again and he is lucky I am not grounding. I am about to start Uni and it is freshers week and he is not going to let me out. It is not just clubbing he won't let me go our local pub which literally everyone my age goes to and every time I want to go out even just for a meal he interrogates me and moans at me. However this time last year when I didn't go out at all he yelled at me about that. I don't know what to do and I am living at home for Uni, my dad is really strict and overprotective and will not see sense what do I do????
username4499734
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I’m living at home for uni too and for situations like this I’m so glad my dad is barely home coz he’s either always working or travelling. (Sorry not helpful)
Try and compromise e.g keep a “curfew” or do some extra work at home idk tbh but parents always will worry if kids get home at like 4am
Nomad00
Rep:
?
(Original post by OR321)
I’m living at home for uni too and for situations like this I’m so glad my dad is barely home coz he’s either always working or travelling. (Sorry not helpful)
Try and compromise e.g keep a “curfew” or do some extra work at home idk tbh but parents always will worry if kids get home at like 4am
I kept them update where I am and he told me to just come home whenever my friends did, I just feel like I am missing out on life experience as my dad is overprotective and cannot get a grip
username4499734
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Nomad00)
I kept them update where I am and he told me to just come home whenever my friends did, I just feel like I am missing out on life experience as my dad is overprotective and cannot get a grip
I understand tbh. The only reason I’m not moving out is because I live like 10 minutes away from my uni. Is there no way you could move out?
Titch77
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Try talking to him and just explain to him your a adult now and he needs to let you go and have a life
Nomad00
Rep:
?
(Original post by Titch77)
Try talking to him and just explain to him your a adult now and he needs to let you go and have a life
He doesn't really do the whole acting like an adult and having a conversation, he just tells me he is the adult and that's that, none of my friends have this problem and it is frustrating af
Moments
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Unfortunately, his house, his rules.

If you want adult independence, the first stage is to move out like an adult.
Anonymous #1
Report 7 months ago
I feel like as long as you are living with your dad you should respect his rules. No parent wants to see their child coming home at 4 in the morning 😕
SMEGGGY
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Are you male or female. You need to discuss it with him. Say your piece respectfully then ignore his reactions if he carries on the way he is. Enjoy yourself, life is too short 🤜
MyFightSong
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
lol well I'm 24 and I still have a curfew
username4889668
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Okay and?

If you live under his roof you gotta abide by his rules. Him grounding you for that isn’t exactly unreasonable either.

If you really hate it compromise with an agreed upon curfew.
YaliaV
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I think grounding you at 18 is ridiculous but he does have the right to set some rules. I would try to move out ASAP. Why did you decide to live at home for uni?
meistlord99
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Say youbare sorry and dont be stupid again. Its your fault entirely make sure ur back at the right time
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by MyFightSong)
lol well I'm 24 and I still have a curfew

what's your curfew?
are you male or female?
JessThomas6
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I get your dad's point in this tbf - my brother and I have gone out while I'm home from uni and no matter what they say your parents will be awake worrying about if you get in safe or not, and they won't sleep properly. Were you noisy when you got in? If you woke them up I can, again, see why he would be annoyed - if he has work to go to in the morning, he won't appreciate being woken up at 4am. I know you're 18 but if you're living at home you have to live by their rules
Amon-ster
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
When you live at your parents house and you come that late they get worried.

But like the other guy said as long as you're living under their roof, you live under their rules. Don't like it ? Get a job and move out or you should of picked a non local university.
ShaunT
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Could you stay with friends after a night out, and just make sure your Dad knows where you'll be?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (129)
15.45%
Uncertainty around my education (135)
16.17%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (79)
9.46%
Isolating with family (57)
6.83%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (33)
3.95%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (72)
8.62%
Loneliness (88)
10.54%
Financial worries (35)
4.19%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (75)
8.98%
Exposure to negative news/social media (54)
6.47%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (78)
9.34%

Watched Threads