The Student Room Group

Is the UK a safe county to study in

Country **
I’m sorry for asking this question Incase if offends anyone, however I would just like to know your opinions regarding this . Also which city in UK do you think is the safest/unsafest
(edited 4 years ago)
I think lately the unsafest ones are London or Birmingham because of there being lots of violence recently. But I think most other cities are okay. I’m from Bolton as it’s pretty quiet here but you do get your average crackhead here and there
Original post by Hannah777789
I’m sorry for asking this question Incase if offends anyone, however I would just like to know your opinions regarding this . Also which city in UK do you think is the safest/unsafest

What is your home country?
Normally get these threads in regards to Indians.

Safety is relative, but I would say yes and I cant imagine there is any university in the UK where I would be unduly worried about crime.
That is not to say there is no crime or you shouldnt use common sense.
Original post by 999tigger
What is your home country?
Normally get these threads in regards to Indians.

Safety is relative, but I would say yes and I cant imagine there is any university in the UK where I would be unduly worried about crime.
That is not to say there is no crime or you shouldnt use common sense.

Thanks for your input . I’m not south Asian btw😆
Thanks for your input . I’m not south Asian btw😆

Talk to your uni. Probably more chance of being run over. I think it will be safe even in London as long as you use common sense.
Nope I didnt think you were asian. What nationality are we talking about?
Country **

As long as you use your head I'd say the UK is pretty safe.
Original post by 999tigger
Talk to your uni. Probably more chance of being run over. I think it will be safe even in London as long as you use common sense.
Nope I didnt think you were asian. What nationality are we talking about?

Oh haha sorry I thought that you were asking if I’m Indian
I would say it's about average! It's nowhere as safe as Northern Europe/Canada - there's a stabbing about every 21 minutes in the UK to the point where it doesn't really end up making the news anymore - especially in cities like London. But up until now, at the very least, it's had a pretty decent reputation for democracy and human rights so I would still say it's worth living n.
If the facility or university you wish to study in has accepted you in, I wouldn't worry too much about the safety of the place. You just keep your ears and eyes open everywhere you go.

Say in London one of the best cities to study yet I would consider it unsafe, but that doesn't stop the people willing to travel all over the world to study in London. Be careful especially during the nights anywhere you go in the UK.
The UK much like any developed country is very safe... Especially if you have the funds to live in good areas. If you decide to move to Brixton to save money, while attending uni in London for example this would be unwise. Similarly if you can afford to live in Kensington or even Earl's Court it's likely the safest city on the planet.

Just stick to student accomodation, British uni is also nice because the overall fail rate is far lower than places like my home country (Germany) where 1/3 of student's fail. The US also has this issue where only 60% graduate in 4 years.

The UK is definitely not unsafe by any means.
yes its very safe (by international standards)

If you avoid london, its very very safe. But even in london its fine, as long as you don't take risks.. stick to living in nice areas, stick to playing in tourist areas, don't go out alone at night, don't get drunk without someone sober in your group etc. etc.

I lived in london for 4 years, after growing up in smaller places, and you certainly have to think a bit more, you can't be as care-free as you can if your in a smaller town/city.. but I never felt scared or in danger there.

Quick Reply

Latest