zam.zzz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey guys...
In going into year 11 in next month. I have chosen French Geography Business R.E. and Arabic as GCSE subjects along with Triple Science Maths and English. I'm not too sure what im predicted but it looks like 5's and 6's which I am not happy with at all. To get into the Uni I would (UCL) want I need have at least 7's and 8's in GCSEs and A* AA in A-level. For a-level, I have chosen to do Chemistry, Biology, and Phycology mainly because it interests me and will help me get into med school.

My teachers and parents tell me I'm more than capable of getting the top-end grades however I have this stupid thing where I learn something, get confident with it but then forget it weeks later and I hate it. I try to revise at home but all I end up doing is rewriting the revision guide in pretty colors smh. I'm willing to work hard and all but it seems like no matter what I do nothing seems to work. I have tried Quizlet, flashcards, worksheets and practice questions.

I get bad anxiety before exams as well and usually end up crying the morning or night before the exam because I just really want to do well.

Sorry for the long read but it's my first time using TSR and needed to vent.

Does anyone have any tips or advise for me I would really appreciate it x
Charlotte LG
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by zam.zzz)
Hey guys...
In going into year 11 in next month. I have chosen French Geography Business R.E. and Arabic as GCSE subjects along with Triple Science Maths and English. I'm not too sure what im predicted but it looks like 5's and 6's which I am not happy with at all. To get into the Uni I would (UCL) want I need have at least 7's and 8's in GCSEs and A* AA in A-level. For a-level, I have chosen to do Chemistry, Biology, and Phycology mainly because it interests me and will help me get into med school.

My teachers and parents tell me I'm more than capable of getting the top-end grades however I have this stupid thing where I learn something, get confident with it but then forget it weeks later and I hate it. I try to revise at home but all I end up doing is rewriting the revision guide in pretty colors smh. I'm willing to work hard and all but it seems like no matter what I do nothing seems to work. I have tried Quizlet, flashcards, worksheets and practice questions.

I get bad anxiety before exams as well and usually end up crying the morning or night before the exam because I just really want to do well.

Sorry for the long read but it's my first time using TSR and needed to vent.

Does anyone have any tips or advise for me I would really appreciate it x
I was in year 11 not too long ago now. With revision techniques, it’s important to find what works best for you by experimenting with different revision techniques. It is dependent on what type of learner you are. I’m a visual learner and I found videos were the best for me. There are articles on TSR which give tips about revision techniques, exam techniques for GCSE and A-Levels (you can find them in the GCSE or A-Level forums). Revising little and often works for remembering facts, small quizzes are good to test your knowledge quickly, you can make them or find them on TSR and their website GetRevising. I also highly recommend BBC Bitesize and MyGCSEScience for revision at GCSE. I struggled with anxiety during year 11. My parents always said to me that a bit of anxiety helped before exams because it prepared you for what was coming. However, excess anxiety isn’t helpful. There are things you can do to reduce exam stress. Ensure you have enough sleep, are eating properly, keeping up with hobbies and your social life. It will all be good! GCSEs really are a stepping stone to the next stage of education.
I hope all goes well for you and I wish you luck with the future! 😊👍
zam.zzz
Rep:
?
thank youuu x
Bee Muza
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m a student in Zimbabwe but I was born In England and I’m writing my GCSEs in November. So I am still in Year 11. Trust me when I say itsnormal to be anxious and scared it’s a human instinct but you must be able to have faith in yourself. Your teachers are always right when they say you are capable of achieving top grades its up to you to prove them right.
zam.zzz
Rep:
?
thank you, i just have a fear of failing
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (25)
18.25%
I'm not sure (3)
2.19%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (45)
32.85%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.19%
I'm not a current university student (61)
44.53%

Watched Threads