The Student Room Group

Pets at University

Hi there, I currently own a fish tank and am hopefully moving out next year to go to uni. My parents have told me that they will take no responsibility over the fish if I leave them at home so the only two options i have is to take them with me or give them away. I would prefer to take them with me so would it be possible that universities allow students to keep pets in circumstances such as my own?
No. They won't make an exception for this. Luckily you've plenty of time to re-home them. Be responsible and don't get anymore now that you know that you won't be able to keep them.
Original post by AdamH15
Hi there, I currently own a fish tank and am hopefully moving out next year to go to uni. My parents have told me that they will take no responsibility over the fish if I leave them at home so the only two options i have is to take them with me or give them away. I would prefer to take them with me so would it be possible that universities allow students to keep pets in circumstances such as my own?

If you are moving into halls it will be a no.
If you are moving into private rented, then you need LL consent. It may still be a no.
Original post by AdamH15

They won't allow pets, especially not in university halls, regardless of your circumstances. Giving them away sounds a more sensible option for everyone.
Hey there,

This question depends on where you plan to be living. It's very unlikely that halls will allow you to have pets, so it's a no if you're planning on moving into halls. However, some letting agents do allow pets or will make exceptions if you ask them, so it's a potential yes if this is your plan. However, if you're moving somewhere new, most people find that halls are the easiest way to settle in and make friends, so you need to weigh up the pros and cons of this situation to figure out what is best for you. Perhaps you could even come to an agreement with your parents where you pay for supplies and a little extra so that they keep your fish at home with them for the first year whilst you're in halls, and then for the rest of your degree, find pet-friendly accommodation and take them with you?

Hope this helps,
Harriet :smile:
Third Year Photography Student and Student Ambassador
If you're living in private accommodation then there is a possibility; landlords are usually more willing to negotiate fish compared to other pets, since they don't make noise and are "contained" so they aren't shedding/pooping/peeing all over their property.

As above halls will almost certainly not permit it though. If you are moving into halls you should look into rehoming them - your local fish store can probably help advise you.

Tell your parents you'll treat them the same way after they retire.
Pets just are not allowed in uni halls but you might be able to find a house for second year that allow fish in my second year the girls bought some gold fish
unfortunately with no places hide in the coldest room in the house they died of stress or hypothermia within a couple of months.despite the care sheets I left out. in my third year one of the people in my house had some fancy gold fish in her room in private accommodation it's at the land lords discretion in uni halls it's never allowed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending