Applying to a UK university when you haven't lived there for 2 years

Watch
BellaPatten
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey,

I've lived in the UK for 17 years till I moved to Denmark to study IB around one year ago. I took my GCSEs in the UK, did one year of A-levels and have a UK passport. My parents still live in the UK and I go back often to visit them. Basically, I've heard that apparently you need to have lived in the UK for 3 years before going to uni to not pay international fees EVEN though you have a UK passport/citizenship. Does anyone know how this works and if there is way to be able to pay the normal UK fee? It would be stupid that I had lived in the UK for 17 years and was only a year away from going to uni, to then not be able to pay those fees whatsoever. Thanks in advance
Stuart SFE
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BellaPatten)
Hey,

I've lived in the UK for 17 years till I moved to Denmark to study IB around one year ago. I took my GCSEs in the UK, did one year of A-levels and have a UK passport. My parents still live in the UK and I go back often to visit them. Basically, I've heard that apparently you need to have lived in the UK for 3 years before going to uni to not pay international fees EVEN though you have a UK passport/citizenship. Does anyone know how this works and if there is way to be able to pay the normal UK fee? It would be stupid that I had lived in the UK for 17 years and was only a year away from going to uni, to then not be able to pay those fees whatsoever. Thanks in advance
Hi,

Due to the Directive 2004/38/EC of the European Commission, EU nationals (and their family members) have the right to reside in other EU member states. This means that a UK national does not need to meet the 3 year residency criteria as long as they have been living in the EU (EEA) or Switzerland for at least 3 years and they are ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the term of their course.

These students would be considered for full funding from Student Finance England. However, they must be resident in the territory that they were previously settled in before they left the UK to exercise their 'Right to Reside'.

For example, if you were born in England and then resided in Denmark for 2 years and will be ordinarily resident in England on the first day of the first term of your course, you would be eligible to apply to Student Finance England.

Regards,
Stuart
BellaPatten
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Stuart SFE)Hi,

Due to the Directive 2004/38/EC of the European Commission, EU nationals (and their family members) have the right to reside in other EU member states. This means that a UK national does not need to meet the 3 year residency criteria as long as they have been living in the EU (EEA) or Switzerland for at least 3 years and they are ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the term of their course.

These students would be considered for full funding from Student Finance England. However, they must be resident in the territory that they were previously settled in before they left the UK to exercise their 'Right to Reside'.

For example, if you were born in England and then resided in Denmark for 2 years and will be ordinarily resident in England on the first day of the first term of your course, you would be eligible to apply to Student Finance England.

Regards,
Stuart

Okay thats great to hear. Thank you so much!
SFE Nihad
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BellaPatten)
(Original post by Stuart SFE)Hi,

Regards,
Stuart

Okay thats great to hear. Thank you so much!
You're welcome, Bella! Let us know if you have other questions.

Regards,
Nihad
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (54)
16.93%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.53%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (119)
37.3%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.79%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.45%

Watched Threads